Cuse pre-season #9 in Sporting News article | Syracusefan.com

Cuse pre-season #9 in Sporting News article

that seems about right.

i do think indiana, ucla, louisville, and kentucky are all a little overrated...

but I guess that means there is no number 1 team.

1 thing I know for sure... there was a legit top 4 or 5 teams in 2011-2012. that is NOT THE CASE in 2012-2013. I can def see 20+ teams having shots at a championship. There simply are no true elite teams.

Indiana may end up #1... but they will have 6 -8 losses for sure.

Interesting the BE is no longer king. Big-10 is in first place with five teams. The BE is second with 4. Based on Mike's list, we would push the ACC into second place if we were already moved.

His top 10 is good, but he seems to be trying to show the weaker conferences will have a presence. Editorial posturing I think.

that seems about right.

i do think indiana, ucla, louisville, and kentucky are all a little overrated...

but I guess that means there is no number 1 team.

1 thing I know for sure... there was a legit top 4 or 5 teams in 2011-2012. that is NOT THE CASE in 2012-2013. I can def see 20+ teams having shots at a championship. There simply are no true elite teams.

Indiana may end up #1... but they will have 6 -8 losses for sure.

Agreed, no issue with being anywhere from 8-15 in the preseason rankings. We lost a lot of talent [on paper] with Scoop, Dion, Kris, and Fab departing.

What we know that others probably don't pay as much attention to is that we have a TON of returning talent--guys who are more than capable of stepping into bigger roles to replace the guys ahead of them. And if a couple of things fall into place, next year's team can be just as good--maybe not record wise [I expect some growing pains early on], but perhaps more formidable come March 2013 than last year's team. I have a feeling we're going to end up being around top 5 when it is said and done--especially if MCW is ready to be an impact lead guard, and Coleman helps shore up the rebounding deficiencies that plagued last year's team.

Agreed, no issue with being anywhere from 8-15 in the preseason rankings. We lost a lot of talent [on paper] with Scoop, Dion, Kris, and Fab departing.

What we know that others probably don't pay as much attention to is that we have a TON of returning talent--guys who are more than capable of stepping into bigger roles to replace the guys ahead of them. And if a couple of things fall into place, next year's team can be just as good--maybe not record wise [I expect some growing pains early on], but perhaps more formidable come March 2013 than last year's team. I have a feeling we're going to end up being around top 5 when it is said and done--especially if MCW is ready to be an impact lead guard, and Coleman helps shore up the rebounding deficiencies that plagued last year's team.
If those 2 things at the bottom of your post happen, this will be a National Title type team.

Love that he has the Syracuse Orangemen #9. I can't wait to see the young guys play next season. I think MCW is going to be my second favorite pg ever at Syracuse after sherman.

What we know that others probably don't pay as much attention to is that we have a TON of returning talent--guys who are more than capable of stepping into bigger roles to replace the guys ahead of them. And if a couple of things fall into place, next year's team can be just as good--maybe not record wise [I expect some growing pains early on], but perhaps more formidable come March 2013 than last year's team.

(random thoughts start here)

Anyway, I often struggle with preseason rankings. I find it weird that Louisville is ranked so high; I know they are good but I guess I don't see them as quite a top 5 team or whatever. The thing about college sports is you're talking about kids that are so young that they can make huge leaps from y ear to year; look at Dion and Fab just last year. Entering the season I think a lot of people thought we may have been a tad over ranked in the 5-7 range, but then it turned out Dion and Fab were awesome and we were one of the best teams in the country. My thought process last year was that I didn't know who was going to take the leap that we needed to be a great team, but considering all of the possibilities, I thought it was extremely likely that at least one guy would. My thoughts are similar for this year. I have been saying this for a while; I think there is a very good chance Rak and MCW are this year's version of Fab and Dion from last year; 2 clearly talented freshmen who didn't put it together their first year but were really good as soph. The comparison probably isn't perfect, but I definitely expect them to be real solid contributors next year. I'm excited to have Coleman, who should be the type of of guy we can throw it into and expect something good to happen. We've got talent on the wings, plus Brandon is a senior (my God does that make me feel old, btw); I fully expect us to be a very strong team next year. 15th, 9th, 5th, 1st; I dunno. But the last 4 years we've been one of the 15 best teams in the country, give or take, and I don't see much reason to expect that to change this year.

...next year's team can be just as good--maybe not record wise [I expect some growing pains early on], but perhaps more formidable come March 2013 than last year's team. I have a feeling we're going to end up being around top 5 when it is said and done--especially if MCW is ready to be an impact lead guard, and Coleman helps shore up the rebounding deficiencies that plagued last year's team.

Yes and yes.

This could be the year when my annual 25-6 regular-season prediction comes true (kinda cool) and our four-year non-conference unbeaten streak comes to an end (not cool). We're bound to start losing a couple of those 50/50 games. But we're also due for some March luck (to say nothing of the January-March improvement that we really haven't seen in the past decade). We've got a lot of talent; if a good leader emerges and all the young guys follow that lead, we could have a very balanced team.

(On a somewhat related note, I don't think we'll ever be 30-1 again. Hope everyone enjoyed it.)

(On a somewhat related note, I don't think we'll ever be 30-1 again. Hope everyone enjoyed it.)

Definitely worth repeating. 30-1 is special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom