Dan Dakich on the call tonight | Syracusefan.com

Dan Dakich on the call tonight

I don't mind him. He's usually friendly to us.
I've never understood what some folks have against Dakich. He usually *is* friendly to us, and even if he's not cracking open the Matrix of hoops Xs & Os for us mere fans, he doesn't do a thing to detract from my viewing enjoyment. We could debate whether he should be getting paid color commentary money for doing that--but for me, it's like having a fairly enlightened and chatty guy on the barstool next to me.

Get ready for plenty of Jim Boeheim is the godfather talk. I don't mind Dakich that much but he isn't my favorite. He doesn't talk about the game enough. He tells long stories and I would prefer quick ones and then back to discussing the game.

I expect this will just add to an unpleasant experience tonight.

Get ready for plenty of Jim Boeheim is the godfather talk. I don't mind Dakich that much but he isn't my favorite. He doesn't talk about the game enough. He tells long stories and I would prefer quick ones and then back to discussing the game.

Yeah, I generally don’t mind him either. The homers should all embrace him since he has a hard-on for JB. Anything is better than the ACC Ntwk garbage. He gets a little too radio show shtick-like at times as mentioned above but the guy knows the game.

dan dakich is what we in the scientific community refer to as a blowhard.

but it could be worse.

Yeah, I generally don’t mind him either. The homers should all embrace him since he has a hard-on for JB. Anything is better than the ACC Ntwk garbage. He gets a little too radio show shtick-like at times as mentioned above but the guy knows the game.

It will be refreshing to see a mid-week game in HD again. Who cares who is talking during it...

I don't mind him. He's usually friendly to us.

I do not believe I will ever forget Dan Dakich's call of the alleged "neutral" site game as a color commentator for the SU-Florida game a few years ago in Tampa, Florida.

As we all knew, Andy Rautins really came of age as a senior with a blend of court awareness and shooting skill that we would be greatly appreciative of if he were on our current roster today. Back then, Andy seemed to grasp his mantle and grow into the shoes of his mentoring father Leo Rautins who I am sure could probably recite the play by play from his dad's version of the triple overtime win of Syracuse over Villanova in the last year before the automatic qualifier exemption for the Big East tournament victor Syracuse Orangemen. That name still sounds great doesn't it?

Anyway, it seemed that during this early season matchup, old Dan Dakich must have really thought he did his homework, when on several occasions he believed he put his perfect perspective on Andy whenever Andy might receive the ball or actually do something with it. I believed his quips included "Just get up on him and he can't hurt you", and "He's a one trick pony" or "He's just a spot up shooter". However the best and infamous quote with I may remember the best was when Dan argued loudly to his cohort "Get up in his face!, You've done your job, he put it on the floor, he aint gonna hurt you anymore." at least twice right before Andy dribbled around the defense and (bang, as they say in the NBA) Andy snipered his shot in twice and made effective passes on other plays afterward as well. You could literally hear the mic drop and the hard swallow of Mr. Dakich as he was at a loss for words for how much more talented Andy Rautins was as a player than the shallow overview preseason scouting report that Mr. Dakich was mistakenly led to previously believe. The Orangemen led in part by Andy Rautins led us to a sweet victory over the talented and more highly regarded Gators in a sweet victory that day, much to the surprise of Mr. Dakich.

Whenever I hear his voice, I remember his color commentary of Andy Rautins and try to listen and observe if he is willing to make such a colossal, predetermined, bad judgment call on our players again, as I surely look for the opportunity for another fond color commentary gaffe from him! Watching our players develop and grow from their basketball experiences instead of pigeon holing them permanently for mistakes is something I take pleasure in despite the growing pains: however, to have this experience nationally memorialized by Mr. Dakich made the whole experience of pain to pleasure absolutely priceless. Of course I hope he does it again for us tonight! :)

nSiz1yAkbKAZUmPfDbcXewNnaAI.jpg

Whenever I hear his voice, I remember his color commentary of Andy Rautins and try to listen and observe if he is willing to make such a colossal, predetermined, bad judgment call on our players again, as I surely look for the opportunity for another fond color commentary gaffe from him! Watching our players develop and grow from their basketball experiences instead of pigeon holing them permanently for mistakes is something I take pleasure in despite the growing pains: however, to have this experience nationally memorialized by Mr. Dakich made the whole experience of pain to pleasure absolutely priceless. Of course I hope he does it again for us tonight! :)

He's been pretty brutal on Dolezaj, and keep mispronouncing his name at the same time

It will be refreshing to see a mid-week game in HD again. Who cares who is talking during it...

I'll go ahead and take responsibility for the completely awful broadcast tonight.

I'll go ahead and take responsibility for the completely awful broadcast tonight.

Beth is great, but Dakich's voice I find annoying as hell. I wish the technical difficulties remained the entire game and they kept the studio guys doing the pbp from the drone view.

Beth is great, but Dakich's voice I find annoying as hell. I wish the technical difficulties remained the entire game and they kept the studio guys doing the pbp from the drone view.
I thought the behind the basket camera is a cool angle for the zone. Makes it easier to see where the ball is going and positioning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom