Dan Shulman/Dick Vitale/Holly Rowe at MSG tomorrow.*** | Syracusefan.com

Dan Shulman/Dick Vitale/Holly Rowe at MSG tomorrow.***

Dick is a worse version of Bill Walton.
Neither call the games they just use the 2 hours to talk about whatever is on the chest.
I wish we never had another game with Dick Vitale on commentary.
At least Walton is funny. Vitale is like I talked to Self and Boeheim before the games and this is what they said to me and then I made a joke about Jimmy's son coming here and he can shoot. Ha Ha. He is terrible and I have always thought that. I know people who are like he is too old now and I used to find him entertaining. I was never in that camp.

Shulman is good
vitale is THE. WORST. it honestly felt on saturday that neither him nor the pbp guy were watching the game at all - I've sat through some excruciating vitale games thru the years but saturday's took the cake. THE. WORST.

Shulman is very good and Holly is the best reporter in the business, but Vitale ruins the whole thing.
Agree on all three points. The game is late tomorrow night so I will likely be in bed while recording it on DVD. Watching it on Wednesday morning should give me opportunities to fast forward through some of his ramblings if there is no on-court action happening at the time.

My favorite from way back was when Dick talked on and on about the law suit his son-in-law won that week.

Vitale did a great job in our Kansas game. Very fair, well-prepared. He raved about our incoming class too. Stuck to calling the game action for the most part. I don't like his act at all, quite the opposite, but he did a really good job Saturday.

Vitale did a great job in our Kansas game. Very fair, well-prepared. He raved about our incoming class too. Stuck to calling the game action for the most part. I don't like his act at all, quite the opposite, but he did a really good job Saturday.
Why did Syracuse get the ball after the Chukwu technical.
Why did Syracuse get the ball after a missed FT.
Why didn’t he tell viewers about these charge calls putting a lot of SU guys on the bench.
Vitale didn’t tell the viewer anything about the game. He was all over the place and that broadcast was one of the worst I have ever seen for an ESPN game.

I think of Dick Vitale like I view Jimmy Carter. Great man who does a lot of good for a lot of people, but leaves a lot to be desired at his job.

Why did Syracuse get the ball after the Chukwu technical.
Why did Syracuse get the ball after a missed FT.
Why didn’t he tell viewers about these charge calls putting a lot of SU guys on the bench.
Vitale didn’t tell the viewer anything about the game. He was all over the place and that broadcast was one of the worst I have ever seen for an ESPN game.

Your three "Why" questions are fair. Bad job on that stuff by him and the play-by-play guy (don't even remember who that was). The last stuff is unfair, especially your last sentence. Bill Walton literally doesn't even talk about basketball 75% of the time. ESPN has far worse than what Vitale brought on Saturday.

Once again, I am really tired of his schtick but I thought overall that was a very good effort for him. I wasn't annoyed for the most part and you really have to put some of the lapses you listed on whoever was doing play-by-play.

Dick is a worse version of Bill Walton.
Neither call the games they just use the 2 hours to talk about whatever is on the chest.
I wish we never had another game with Dick Vitale on commentary.
I don't mind Dickie V, although intellectually he's not in Walton's league. Walton speaks his mind, is very well read, knows college hoops history extremely well and is far more articulate than "PTPer Baby". The problem is, Walton's dosage is too high. He talks too much, challenges too often and expresses too many opinions. I find him very interesting, but can understand why he might annoy some listeners.

Last edited:
I don't mind Dickie V, although intellectually he's not in Walton's league. Walton speaks his mind, is very well read, knows college hoops history extremely well and is far more articulate than "PTPer Baby". The problem is, Walton's dosage is too high. He talks too much, challenges too much and expresses too many opinions. I find him very interesting, but can understand why he might annoy some listeners.

If Walton stuck to the game, he'd be fine. But he doesn't. Not even close. He goes off on ridiculous tangents. I don't know why I am bothering with this. Everyone knows Walton is all over the place.

Shulman is very good and Holly is the best reporter in the business, but Vitale ruins the whole thing.

Is Holly new at basketball? I obviously know she's done a million football games, but I'm drawing a blank on her doing hoops.

love ya, i, but um not sure game you were watching/listening to...
he was blathering non-stop about everything other than the game

love ya, i, but um not sure game you were watching/listening to...
he was blathering non-stop about everything other than the game

Ah, well, most of you guys are on the other side, so I guess I'll go with what you guys are saying. But you know... "if you listen to fools, The Mob Rules." RJD

Maybe Vitale will be better with a more experienced PBP guy like Schulman. The PBP guy who did the Kansas game could hardly get a word in to do his job.