David Stern says flopping is 'legitimate concern' | Syracusefan.com

David Stern says flopping is 'legitimate concern'

lebron-flop-pacers.gif

Heard Stern talking about this on ESPN on Monday. His recommendation included fines and suspension for continued flopping.

Not sure how that would be governed--seems like a slippery slope that is awfully subjective, but I suppose that they've managed to do a reasonable job policing and imposing penalties for flagrant fouls / technicals.

But at the end of the day, I'm all in favor of penalizing flopping. NBA stars already get enough preferential treatment as is without adding this dimension into the equation. And the great ones will adjust--always do.

I would think so. And they're all over the place. Here are some other gems...

lebron-flop-3.gif

lebron-flop-2.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-17854-1335181420-32.gif

PaulFlop.gif

And my personal favorite...

boshflop.gif

the problem is that the game now allows offensive players to commit fouls . . . they call it "creating space" and they laud it as a legitimate skill. But, if you initiate contact with the effect of creating an advantage for yourself, that is the textbook definition of a foul. It has left defensive players with the need to make every bit of contact look worse than it actually is. Flopping is often egregious, as the gifs above demonstrate, but if you really want to stop it, you have to be more pro-active on calling offensive fouls, IMO

the problem is that the game now allows offensive players to commit fouls . . . they call it "creating space" and they laud it as a legitimate skill. But, if you initiate contact with the effect of creating an advantage for yourself, that is the textbook definition of a foul. It has left defensive players with the need to make every bit of contact look worse than it actually is. Flopping is often egregious, as the gifs above demonstrate, but if you really want to stop it, you have to be more pro-active on calling offensive fouls, IMO

Very astute. The issue with that conclusion being, of course, that nobody wants more offensive fouls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom