Dayton vs URI, currently on CBSSN | Syracusefan.com

Dayton vs URI, currently on CBSSN

The presence of Dayton, San Diego St and Gonzaga in the top 5 adds an intriguing element to the tournament this year. All 3 have that common question mark of not playing much quality teams since the end of December -- although the A-10 gives Dayton some decent tests.

Nice to see some new blood in Dayton and San Diego St. It will be interesting to see which one of the two will get that final #1 seed. I suspect San Diego St may be just as content getting the #2 seed out west instead of having go all the way to the East Coast and possibly having to play the ACC Champion as the #2 seed.

Dayron up 46-30 at the half. Great chance to watch the team that might win this years NC. Just remember to pay me 10% when you win your bracket. And you can thank me later.

I really like Dayton as well. In my opinion Obi Toppin is the best player in the country. And anytime you have the best player on the floor in a single-elimination tournament you have a good chance.

I really like Dayton as well. In my opinion Obi Toppin is the best player in the country. And anytime you have the best player on the floor in a single-elimination tournament you have a good chance.

Toppin is real good but they also have some balance. Four guys average double figures. You look at their stats and they are the #1 2 pt shooting team in the country and #5 in assists. Not a great rebounding team and a little better than average on threes. They have only lost two games all year. Vs Kansas in Maui and vs Colorado in Chicago and both in overtime. A fun team to watch. Toppin's dad played professional streetball and was known as a dunker so he had the genes.

Last edited:
Toppin is real good but they also have some balance. Four guys average double figures. You look at their stats and they are the #1 2 pt shooting team in the country and #5 in assists. Not a great rebounding team and a little better than average on threes. They have only lost two games all year. Vs Kansas in Maui and vs Colorado in Chicago and both in overtime. A fun team to watch. Toppin's dad played professional streetball and was known as a dunker so he had the genes.

Absolutely. They’re good at every position. Good balance of a couple studs and then solid role players.

My only concern with them is experience. When I fill out my bracket I like when a team has had players play in an NCAA tournament before. If they’re in a 2/3 game in the sweet 16, and they have a 4 point lead with one minute left. Are they going to have the composure to take care of the basketball and make FTs to close out a game? We’ll likely find out at some point in the tourney. Will be interesting to watch.

Absolutely. They’re good at every position. Good balance of a couple studs and then solid role players.

My only concern with them is experience. When I fill out my bracket I like when a team has had players play in an NCAA tournament before. If they’re in a 2/3 game in the sweet 16, and they have a 4 point lead with one minute left. Are they going to have the composure to take care of the basketball and make FTs to close out a game? We’ll likely find out at some point in the tourney. Will be interesting to watch.

I don’t know about experience .. if players are experienced in the NCAA tourney , it usually means they weren’t that talented

Obi Toppin is from New York. Could you imagine if we had identified an under the radar guy like him early?

Obi Toppin is from New York. Could you imagine if we had identified an under the radar guy like him early?

Way too much meat on the bone to ever cross our radar

I want to say Dayton will be like that St. Joes team with Nelson and West and max out in the elite 8 or so...but that was a different era, when the bluebloods were actually loaded with top notch talent and experience. They’re not any more. So I think Dayton can win it.

Toppin will be in foul trouble at least once in the tourney. Can they survive and can he stay on the floor when people attack him on the defensive end.

Will the committee do it's job and send an overrated Duke team west? I'm skeptical.

He
He only played one year at Ossining and had like no offers. Then he went to prep school, grew 4 inches along the way and barely got any offers.

He
He only played one year at Ossining and had like no offers. Then he went to prep school, grew 4 inches along the way and barely got any offers.

Which... is why he's at Dayton.

Imagine if we identified Seth Curry early??
How about Kawhi?
Damian Lillard?
The mind boggles! Ponderous. (RIP Shark58)

Will the committee do it's job and send an overrated Duke team west? I'm skeptical.

The problem is there are actually western teams to fill the WEST region this year. It's usually not the case.

The big variable is whether San Diego St or Dayton get the final #1 seed. If we assume its Dayton, the WEST region has 3 teams already set:

1 Gonzaga
2 San Diego St
4 Oregon (as of now)

So only 1 team would go out west
And per the matrix Duke is the highest rated #3 seed, so they would get first dibs on region for the 3 seeds. So MSG for them with Dayton, Seton Hall and Michigan St.

I think if Dayton won it all they'd be the lowest rated Kenpom D to win it

The experience quotient applies to the coaches as much as the players in college ball IMO, can they minimize their decision making mistakes in crunch time to pull out the close games they are sure to have? Grant has never made it the 2nd weekend before

I still think Dayton is a good team, but man they have played absolutely no one.

1583429155712.png

I still think Dayton is a good team, but man they have played absolutely no one.

View attachment 177562

That top 50 must be a Sagarin Rating? The NET is a little more favourable to their opponents with some in the 40s lie Richmond.
Does Sagarin not have Colorado in their top 50 teams? Not that it would make it better, it would actually make it 1-2.

But I think the one thing you can always look at is how they do in conference Road Games against decent teams. Those games are good tests for Dayton. Players and fans get up for Dayton this year like teams get up for the Blue Bloods in P5 games. Teams like VCU, Rhode Island, Richmond, St Louis are decent teams that are not easy games on the road.

Dayton went 4-0 in those games and went to OT in 1, and comfortably won 2 of them.

Dayton, using the NET, currently is 5-2 in Q1 games, and 12-2 in Q1+Q2 games. Not shabby. Better than Gonzaga. And more Q1 and Q1+Q2 games played than SDSt.

In terms of "names" however, there isn't a whole lot there.

That top 50 must be a Sagarin Rating? The NET is a little more favourable to their opponents with some in the 40s lie Richmond.
Does Sagarin not have Colorado in their top 50 teams? Not that it would make it better, it would actually make it 1-2.

But I think the one thing you can always look at is how they do in conference Road Games against decent teams. Those games are good tests for Dayton. Players and fans get up for Dayton this year like teams get up for the Blue Bloods in P5 games. Teams like VCU, Rhode Island, Richmond, St Louis are decent teams that are not easy games on the road.

Dayton went 4-0 in those games and went to OT in 1, and comfortably won 2 of them.

Looks like Sagarin has Colorado at 57. I'll be honest I have no idea what the difference is between Sagarin vs RPI vs NET vs BPI methodologies. I just find the Sagarin website aesthetically pleasing to read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom