Dayton with 42 at the half | Syracusefan.com

Dayton with 42 at the half

Any doubt we'd be playing Florida on Saturday for a spot in Dallas if Ennis' shot was half an inch to the right? jeez...

they had 55 vs. us, our defense was unreal. Our offense ::((

Part of it is the pace of playing against the zone. Every team we play slows the game to a crawl. Hard to score a ton of points if you hold the ball for 30 seconds every possession.

Part of it is the pace of playing against the zone. Every team we play slows the game to a crawl. Hard to score a ton of points if you hold the ball for 30 seconds every possession.

Stanford plays mostly the same version of zone and they got to 30 points at H. :(

Which I'm sure makes our offense press and have zero flow. I can't imagine knowing you'll only get 15 possessions a half makes you relaxed in the half court.

I love the zone but I think it's time for a backup plan for games like Dayton. We can still play zone but a change of pace D wouldn't hurt from time to time.

Stanford playing zone but Dayton knows Stanford isn't 10x more talented than them so they're not trying to play theeeeee gameeeeeeee attttt aaaaaa snailsssssss paceeeeeeee.

my god this makes me so upset, we could have beat stanford tonight

Only if the offense was much better. Not beating any good tourney team with our offense and WMU looked like a pathetic opponent, frankly.

gilardino said:
they had 55 vs. us, our defense was unreal. Our offense ::((

Yep. Stanford wasn't impressive tonight ether. We bring our C game we beat them. And for those saying the zone skies down everything, it hasn't every year we've played zone which has been an awful long time. The best way to get a team to speed things up is to make shots and get a nice lead on these average teams like Dayton.

We easily could have lost to Stanford tonite if we shot the ball like we did against Dayton.

Only if the offense was much better. Not beating any good tourney team with our offense and WMU looked like a pathetic opponent, frankly.

True. We likely would have found a way to play down to Stanford's level for most of the game. One of the common excuses here is the "we just had an off night. happens." Maybe Stanford just had an off night. Dayton looked great tonight. MUCH better than they did against us. Baylor not so much.

Pretty frustrating that we never developed a positive offensive identity this season. Make 1 or 2 more shots a game, and we're probably only a 3 loss team and playing in the great 8.

True. We likely would have found a way to play down to Stanford's level for most of the game. One of the common excuses here is the "we just had an off night. happens." Maybe Stanford just had an off night. Dayton looked great tonight. MUCH better than they did against us. Baylor not so much.

Pretty frustrating that we never developed a positive offensive identity this season. Make 1 or 2 more shots a game, and we're probably only a 3 loss team and playing in the great 8.

Agreed. We need more scorers and more guys who can penetrate. More and quicker ballhandlers. Just watching some of these teams tonight you can see what we don't have.

Agreed. We need more scorers and more guys who can penetrate. More and quicker ballhandlers. Just watching some of these teams tonight you can see what we don't have.

I completely agree. The survive end of the survive and advance crowd has so much more than the perish end.
  • An attacking offensive philosophy on nearly every offensive possession. Clark Kellog had a great line last night in regards to one 3rd or 4th man just getting after it for an AND+1, "playing with purpose".
  • At least 3 ballhandlers
  • At least 2 shooters
  • 5 guys that can catch
  • 5 guys that understand spacing
  • 5 guys unafraid to create if the situation warrants
Maybe it all comes down to the fact that some teams come together and play as a unit, and others do not?
Reflecting on the season's swoon, we were -1 or -2 in most of those areas above.
  • Our offensive purpose seemed to be to limit possessions, as opposed to the much simpler "score a lot more than the other team"
  • 1-2 ballhandler
  • 0-2 shooters depending on the night
  • 3 guys that can catch
  • 3 guys that understand spacing
  • 2-3 guys unafraid to create if the situation warrant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online