Dayton's defense shut down | Syracusefan.com

Dayton's defense shut down

Fjoinkay

Starter
everything early. SU scored 18 first half points. SU ran it's offense and sent the rock inside several times early, but Dayton did a great job defending the passing lanes, disrupting the handle on SU's interior moves, and contesting SU's shots at and around the bucket.

TE's drives and penetration ended up being the most effective offense SU had all night, and he was 5-5 from the free throw line hitting crucial free throws late to keep SU in the game. CJ ended up hitting some shots inside, and he hit some free throws as well. When all was said and done the stat lines were remarkably even except that Dayton shot 43 percent from beyond the arc going 7-16. The 7-0 advantage with the 3-ball ended up being the difference.

I loved the way this team competed all season even though they seemed to wear down a little bit as the season wore on. Late in the season TE took on an expanded role with more emphasis on scoring because that's what the team needed, and I thought he handled that very well. Even as a true freshman his personality, temperament, and talent shaped this team from the very beginning which is rare and special, and I admire him for taking those shots at the end of games. To his credit he handled the hits and the misses with equal presence and class. No one could represent his or her school on the court any better.

Good post. Are you in the Steveholt camp (I am a little) that says even A Phil Jackson couldn't coach this team to overcome their flaws and get better offense going?

How is Kansas and UNC doing it? Not good shooting teams. Is it a matter of having a couple of ELITE players such as Wiggins and Paige who can get their shot off at will? Again, the missed bunnies yesterday were atrocious. Cooney getting only one good look? How is that possible?

Going into this season who knew what to expect with this team? Maybe some people knew TE would be this good, but I had no idea. The success this team had and the way they played was a pleasant surprise for me. And yesterday if they shoot just a little better they survive and advance. That's the other point of view on the madness of March.

Let's see how Kansas and UNC play today. If they play hard on defense and hit enough shots they have a good shot to win. In the tournament I don't think it's much more than that. Talent is important, but every team is good so you have to put away less talented teams or you end up playing with fire late.

Last edited:
everything early. SU scored 18 first half points. SU ran it's offense and sent the rock inside several times early, but Dayton did a great job defending the passing lanes, disrupting the handle on SU's interior moves, and contesting SU's shots at and around the bucket.

TE's drives and penetration ended up being the most effective offense SU had all night, and he was 5-5 from the free throw line hitting crucial free throws late to keep SU in the game. CJ ended up hitting some shots inside, and he hit some free throws as well. When all was said and done the stat lines were remarkably even except that Dayton shot 43 percent from beyond the arc going 7-16. The 7-0 advantage with the 3-ball ended up being the difference.

I loved the way this team competed all season even though they seemed to wear down a little bit as the season wore on. Late in the season TE took on an expanded role with more emphasis on scoring because that's what the team needed, and I thought he handled that very well. Even as a true freshman his personality, temperament, and talent shaped this team from the very beginning which is rare and special, and I admire him for taking those shots at the end of games. To his credit he handled the hits and the misses with equal presence and class. No one could represent his or her school on the court any better.
Dayton took away the driving lanes daring SU to shoot wide open 15-18 ft jumpers. We just can't shoot from the perimeter at all. Cooney, Ennis, CJ, MG could not not make wide open shots. Cooney and CJ kept putting up air balls. Perimeter shooting was a huge weakness beginning in January and it continued right through March. You can't beat good teams if you can't shoot a lick. Dayton's defense was nothing great. The open shots were there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom