Class of 2025 - DB Marcus Upton (NJ) Decommitted (6/19/24) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 DB Marcus Upton (NJ) Decommitted (6/19/24)

It seems more like official visits. Many committed kids will have camps and team visits to schools (unofficially) but the official wine and dine visit is different. Not saying I agree w it but sounds like Brown’s policy is don’t verbal if want to official somewhere else after. We’ll see if this policy sticks (many top teams have abandoned it) because when dealing w these top level recruits and now nil the recruits have more power than ever before.
It's also possible that this kid told fran he wasnt taking other visits and reneged on that. FB is big on trust -- I'd be shocked if he had a blanket dont commit and dont visit other places rules.

Perhaps Samuels has been clear about what he wants out of the commitment with Fran and is open about shopping around. Kid like Samuels will likely get more leeway with FB, especially if there's a two way dialogue.

It's also possible that this kid told fran he wasnt taking other visits and reneged on that. FB is big on trust -- I'd be shocked if he had a blanket dont commit and dont visit other places rules.

Perhaps Samuels has been clear about what he wants out of the commitment with Fran and is open about shopping around. Kid like Samuels will likely get more leeway with FB, especially if there's a two way dialogue.
Samuels is a 2026 and can't take OVs yet. The types of visits he can take are limited. It makes sense that kids not in the current cycle would be given more leeway to take visits than someone in the current class.

You might be correct and I’m sure it isn’t as black and white as we are making it out to be since so many variables.

I was just speculating since our current data is that we have 22 verbals and not a single took an OV to another school besides us in the 1st three weeks of officials. Not the most common occurrence but still with the large numbers you’d think 1 or 2 out of that many might want to take advantage of a free trip wavering or not.

You might be correct and I’m sure it isn’t as black and white as we are making it out to be since so many variables.

I was just speculating since our current data is that we have 22 verbals and not a single took an OV to another school besides us in the 1st three weeks of officials. Not the most common occurrence but still with the large numbers you’d think 1 or 2 out of that many might want to take advantage of a free trip wavering or not.
Legacy may be right on the current situation and how it’s played out, I for one can’t muster up the time to keep track of it all.

We can’t have 75 DB’s on the roster.
Right now we only have 4 DB’s verballed in the 2025 class. We only took 5 in 2024 that are multiple year players. We start 5 DB’s on D. We should probably be taking about 5 a class. I would guess we take another one yet.

Perception wise the class took a hit. People will say Cuse lost their top commit. I liked his film but he was 6th on my list that I was most excited about. I think he will be a good player. I wish he was still committed but it’s not a major blow at all.
I thought he looked like a really solid safety prospect. I probably liked him most of the group we had. Although Rayshon looks like he could have high upside as long as he’s fast enough. Now we only have 4 in the class and a couple barely have any highlight film at DB. I had thought Ziyyon was a DB recruiting but noticed recently he is a WR recruit. I find it a tad odd that Ziyyon has almost only DB film in his junior highlights other than like 2 receptions and it appears the staff is projecting him as a WR. You don’t see many kids play mostly DB in HS and then go to WR in college. Seems like it’s usually the other way around.

To be honest, as a DB group I’m a tad underwhelmed so far, really just because I expected more there. I mean we all know Fran is an elite recruiter and DB’s are his thing. Seems like we are getting a bit more under the radar developmental type guys than I would have expected. Love Fran and he’s doing great so far just a bit surprised we don’t have a higher profile sure thing at DB in 2025.
Wonder if the strong focus on NY is playing a role in that a bit.

Last edited:
I thought he looked like a really solid safety prospect. I probably liked him most of the group we had. Although Rayshon looks like he could have high upside as long as he’s fast enough. Now we only have 4 in the class and a couple barely have any highlight film at DB. And I find it a tad odd that Ziyyon has almost only DB film in his junior highlights other than like 2 receptions and it appears the staff is projecting him as a WR. You don’t see many kids play mostly DB in HS and then go to WR in college. Seems like it’s usually the other way around.

To be honest, as a DB group I’m a tad underwhelmed so far, really just because I expected more there. I mean we all know Fran is an elite recruiter and DB’s are his thing. Seems like we are getting a bit more under the radar developmental type guys than I would have expected. Love Fran and he’s doing great so far just a bit surprised we don’t have a higher profile sure thing at DB in 2025.
I imagine he isnt going to take a kid especially for the group he has made his bones on unless he feels really good about them. DBs are the least of my worries with SU.

I imagine he isnt going to take a kid especially for the group he has made his bones on unless he feels really good about them. DBs are the least of my worries with SU.
Per today 247 article, Davien Kerr was offered at the June 7th camp after being defensive MVP so likely projects to CB or S. He is also visiting this weekend. I assume he's likely a take.

I'm thinking he was fed a bunch of baloney and was convinced BC is his dream school.
I don't want anyone who can be coaxed to believe that nonsense!

Cringe No GIF

I thought he looked like a really solid safety prospect. I probably liked him most of the group we had. Although Rayshon looks like he could have high upside as long as he’s fast enough. Now we only have 4 in the class and a couple barely have any highlight film at DB. I had thought Ziyyon was a DB recruiting but noticed recently he is a WR recruit. I find it a tad odd that Ziyyon has almost only DB film in his junior highlights other than like 2 receptions and it appears the staff is projecting him as a WR. You don’t see many kids play mostly DB in HS and then go to WR in college. Seems like it’s usually the other way around.

Bedell is coming in as a DB but I get what you are saying. I think Fran is puposely bringing in DB's he can build a foundation with. Ones that have the physical traits he desires in their scheme. He can mold them from scratch. They can be patient and develop them because the transfers are occupying the depth chart right now.

Right now we only have 4 DB’s verballed in the 2025 class. We only took 5 in 2024 that are multiple year players. We start 5 DB’s on D. We should probably be taking about 5 a class. I would guess we take another one yet.
It’s at least 5 in the last class and it’s at least 5 in this class right now plus 1 for 2026 already.

This is the 1 position group I have zero concern about.

Bedell is coming in as a DB but I get what you are saying. I think Fran is puposely bringing in DB's he can build a foundation with. Ones that have the physical traits he desires in their scheme. He can mold them from scratch. They can be patient and develop them because the transfers are occupying the depth chart right now.
These young guys can be mentored by Marcellus Barnes as well who I think is going to have a nice Cuse career.

I swear I saw WR on something SU released. Looking at his thread I see a commitment post from Syracuse that specifies athlete other than just his thread subject line. Yeah I thought DB made more sense.

Perception wise the class took a hit. People will say Cuse lost their top commit. I liked his film but he was 6th on my list that I was most excited about. I think he will be a good player. I wish he was still committed but it’s not a major blow at all.
Well now we have to know. If we was your 6th favorite. Who are the 5 guys you have at the top of this class. Now I need to know lol

His first class included the following:

1. a starting CB from Notre Lame
2. an all MAC DB who many P4s wanted
3. brought back our best CB (at the time) who was stolen by LSU (formerly DBU that we are overtaking!)
4. the best highschool CB recruit we have ever landed (beat out a bunch of SEC schools)

That is 4 pretty high profile hits, in his first 3 months on the job.

And we haven't even witnessed his ability to 'coach them up' yet and we forget with all this recruiting acoloades he was also name the best DB coach in the country as well.

3. brought back our best CB (at the time) who was stolen by LSU (formerly DBU that we are overtaking!)
4. the best highschool DB recruit we have ever landed (beat out a bunch of SEC schools)

And we haven't even witnessed his ability to 'coach them up' yet and we forget with all this recruiting acoloades he was also name the best DB coach in the country as well.
Throw in Ohio States starting QB who, who was a former unanimous 5 star, went 11-1 and was a few plays away from going to the playoffs. That was no ordinary off-season in the 315 FOR SURE.

4. the best highschool CB recruit we have ever landed (beat out a bunch of SEC schools)

All of what you said may be somewhat true. None of which contradicts anything I said. I Didn’t discount anything about the last class and that is all of which you have posted about. I love what Fran has done so far on the whole. That doesn’t mean i need to say every little thing he does is perfect. But I am very happy we have Fran as well.

Last edited:
It seems we are marking our territory with this years class, which is good. FB was clear about where he wanted to draw recruits from. Plus, they were behind the 8 ball as far as relationship building goes for this years class. I think we stocked up on as many under the radar kids in our recruiting territory as possible to set the tone, and will start building relationships with 2026/2027 kids now. I can see FB being a bit more elective in the future and the 2026 class alresdy is off to a hot start with the homerun hitters this class lacks. Not sure if this was done on purpose, but doesn’t seem to be a coincidence? I am a little surprised that they don’t have anyone in the NJ top 15, but i expect that will change over time as well. A huge season will do us wonders and i’m not talking about 6-8 wins. If you can tell there have been several recruits mentioning that FB will “turn the program around”. Only proves that kids don’t care if you win 6 or 7 games and make a bowl. Unless your in the top 25 you pretty much are considered meh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom