DC looking good at K ofK | Syracusefan.com

DC looking good at K ofK

Traveled to mvcc as daughter has big time crush on CJ , she is bummed but hope all works out for him and there an opportunity to see him at one of these games. DC was a beast at times

Traveled to mvcc as daughter has big time crush on CJ , she is bummed but hope all works out for him and there an opportunity to see him at one of these games. DC was a beast at times

I'd appreciate some specifics...has he broken his bad habit of putting the ball on the floor, is he showing any new post moves, etc? Thanks.

A couple of put backs were beastly . He drive to the hoop a number if times quick first step and jammed. Shot couple of nice baby hooks and ht a couple of 12-15 jumpers. But ran the floor and it was a up and down game. He played he whole game and quite impressed with his stamina

Who else is he playing with, his JD guys, Stern, Davis, Pascale?

CJ is dealing with a "personal issue."

I think he's taking classes. I saw that he needed some credits in the 2nd summer session if he wants to graduate on time.

I don't get all the hate with bigs putting the ball on the floor. I agree with a offensive rebound about keeping the ball high but that doesn't always apply either. Especially when you have a frame like DC2's to initiate contact before a layup in the low post.

Most of the best scoring bigs dribble the ball, and probably less then one out of 10 do it facing you up. We haven't had a big with the dribbling skill of Dajuan since probably John Wallace. Imo, we should not be encouraging him not to dribble but doing the opposite. Dajuan has something special as he will face you up to attack the basket instead of the old backdown that can't build full momentum towards the basket. Thats a big reason Dajuan was so highly rated. He also attacks from both the left and right side of the floor another very rare quality. You are more likely to get a and one if you use a face up dribble then a backdown.

DC2 started shaky with 20 turnovers in the first ten games of the season but he only had 5 turnovers in his last 160 minutes of the season.

If Dajuan can put a flatfooted jumper with his drive and learn to score going both left or right off the dribble he could be the best scroing big in the nation this year. The potential is there.

I don't get all the hate with bigs putting the ball on the floor. I agree with a offensive rebound about keeping the ball high but that doesn't always apply either. Especially when you have a frame like DC2's to initiate contact before a layup in the low post.

Most of the best scoring bigs dribble the ball. We haven't had a big with the dribbling skill of Dajuan since probably John Wallace. Imo, we should not be encouraging him not to dribble but doing the opposite. Dajuan has something special as he will face you up to attack the basket instead of the old backdown that can't build full momentum towards the basket. Thats a big reason Dajuan was so highly rated. He also attacks from both the left and right side of the floor another very rare quality. You are more likely to get a and one if you use a face up dribble then a backdown.

If Dajuan can put a flatfooted jumper with his drive and learn to score going both left or right off the dribble he could be the best scroing big in the nation this year. The potential is there.

I hear ya. The problem is DC's tendency to bring the ball down only amplifies his issues with a lack of explosion off the floor. It makes him vulnerable to getting stripped or his shot blocked. Last season, he'd catch the ball in a good position to make a post move and could not capitalize. He made himself smaller.

He has nice footwork and decent hands so the tools are there for him to be effective.

I think he's taking classes. I saw that he needed some credits in the 2nd summer session if he wants to graduate on time.
the initial story was that this personal issue would result in CJ not participating in the 2nd summer session. has that information changed?

and, if this is correct, does that put APR in jeopardy next spring?

I hear ya. The problem is DC's tendency to bring the ball down only amplifies his issues with a lack of explosion off the floor. It makes him vulnerable to getting stripped or his shot blocked. Last season, he'd catch the ball in a good position to make a post move and could not capitalize. He made himself smaller.

He has nice footwork and decent hands so the tools are there for him to be effective.

This is a good comment. I would add that dribbling the ball depends on the circumstance. If Coleman is grabbing an offensive rebound, that's when you go back up without the dribble. It's too crowded and that's the easy strip.

If he's on the low block and receives an entry pass (I know, when's the last time we saw that happen ...), THAT is the opportunity and proper time to take a dribble or two in connection with your move. But you have to be aware of the double team and not get tunnel vision. You also can't take too long to start your move or you will have an outside defender coming down on you to rake at the ball.

I think he has to work on both aspects, personally. He tends to bring the ball down to dribble it after an offensive rebound, which you just can't do. Plus, he needs to make his move quicker and more decisively on offense when he does get a pass on the low post. Don't hurry his move (which is what he did last year), but play with awareness of the players around you, and know what you want to do once you catch the ball.

the initial story was that this personal issue would result in CJ not participating in the 2nd summer session. has that information changed?

and, if this is correct, does that put APR in jeopardy next spring?

We are already cutting it close with the APR, which may be why he's passing on the University Games in order to get his degree on time.

We are already cutting it close with the APR, which may be why he's passing on the University Games in order to get his degree on time.

except that his story doesn't make sense - says he is skipping WUG to focus on getting necessary credits, but then says he is skipping 2nd session for "personal issue."

Thank you NCAA Great Job way to hurt a kid who did nothing wrong!

imo.
I perceive 75% of Colemans touches will be in the high mid post though where he needs 2 dribbles minimum to be 4 feet near the rim. Hes going to utilize 2-6 dribbles and a jumpshot(hopefully he learns a faceup jumper maybe bank without leaving his feet so he can play taller/more explosive like you say).

Of those 75% I wouldn't be suprised to see 5-20% of them on the left side, JB tends to show us the future in tournament games and Dajuan proved he can drive from the left by the end of the season, if that sustains the college experts won't even see it coming.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see another 5-20% from the high post instead of the low as he can hit that shot. He will have the potential to pass facing up like a point forward a few times a game from the high post. The disavantage of facing up as a post up guy is you can't pass to the perimeter except in the corners once you face the basket cutting your passing directions.

While Dajuan is in the high post, bigs won't take your drive seriously and play off of you like they did Fab Melo. Dajuans could be good enough where they don't know whether to play off him fearing his dribble or on him fearing his jumper, only time will tell. You would have to go back to Syracuse and UNC and Seikly from the high post in 87. And Seikly was a absolute Beast that game best player on the floor that day.

Dajuan might go up against 7 footers in the high midpost and people are going to say he is forcing it at times ,but its so good to see a true faceup PF's offensive game in the post for once. Haven't seen it since Warrick and his wasn't strength and dribble but rediculous length, thats how rare it is.

I think we will see more of Dajuan in the low block while Cooney and Rak are in the game with him and more in the mid high post while Ennis Gbinije are the backcourt and Roberson Grant are at the four. Love the thought of Fair and Gbinije cutting inside with Dajuan in the highpost bringing defenders out of the paint.

Hope the news of DC2s improvement is correct. However, we heard good things about him last year at King of Kings. Let's hope this year's story version is better for the Syracuse season.

except that his story doesn't make sense - says he is skipping WUG to focus on getting necessary credits, but then says he is skipping 2nd session for "personal issue."

I could be mistaken, but I thought the "personal issue" was to attend class in 2nd summer term. I didn't see where he said he was skipping that.

I could be mistaken, but I thought the "personal issue" was to attend class in 2nd summer term. I didn't see where he said he was skipping that.
it was a really weird statement - as I said, the two parts don't make sense together. Perhaps Donna just got it wrong:

"Fair said on Monday that he was working this summer toward getting sufficient credits to fulfill his degree requirements and graduate on time. He will not, he said, attend SU's next scheduled summer session."

Or, maybe he loaded up on credits in the first session in order to take the 2nd session off.

it was a really weird statement - as I said, the two parts don't make sense together. Perhaps Donna just got it wrong:

"Fair said on Monday that he was working this summer toward getting sufficient credits to fulfill his degree requirements and graduate on time. He will not, he said, attend SU's next scheduled summer session."

Or, maybe he loaded up on credits in the first session in order to take the 2nd session off.

I think that the first summer session hadn't started yet at the time of the interview. I could be wrong, but I think that's the deal. He skipped first summer session but will be on campus for 2nd summer session to take classes instead of going to the University Games. That's what I thought I read, but I've certainly be wrong before.

From
http://www.kingofkingsutica.org/#!week-2-results/cvfs
"Takeover broke open what was a close game in the 4th quarter to get their 1st win of the season. Syracuse University rising sophomore DaJuan Coleman had a dominant game for Takeover (1-1), with 28 points, 22 rebounds, and 4 assists"
Nice!

From the other game:
"Syracuse Elite held the lead for the majority of the game, but a go-ahead 3 by former Syracuse University player Mookie Jones with just over 15 seconds left put Bless Ballers over the top in a highly competitive nightcap. Bless Ballers (2-0) was led by Cornelius Vines, who shrugged off a slow start and finished with 22 points (12 in the 4th quarter), 8 rebounds, and 6 assists. Mookie Jones added 18 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists."

From
"Takeover broke open what was a close game in the 4th quarter to get their 1st win of the season. Syracuse University rising sophomore DaJuan Coleman had a dominant game for Takeover (1-1), with 28 points, 22 rebounds, and 4 assists"
Nice!
"

Boy I wish I could like this twice. DC2 looking like a solid first/second scoring option, hope he keeps that up :)

From
Nice!

From the other game:
"Syracuse Elite held the lead for the majority of the game, but a go-ahead 3 by former Syracuse University player Mookie Jones with just over 15 seconds left put Bless Ballers over the top in a highly competitive nightcap. Bless Ballers (2-0) was led by Cornelius Vines, who shrugged off a slow start and finished with 22 points (12 in the 4th quarter), 8 rebounds, and 6 assists. Mookie Jones added 18 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists."

My boy Corn still balling, and having a good game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom