De'andre Hunter | Syracusefan.com

De'andre Hunter

CuseCPT

All Conference
I don't follow recruiting too closely, so I'm sincerely asking about this. It was discussed briefly in the Game Thread but I am really curious to hear more from some of our recruiting experts.

Yesterday De'andre Hunter had 15 points, 6 assists and 3 rebounds against us. He's a Philly kid that went to the same HS as Hak. Looks to be a really solid, all-around player.

But wait, there's more! (Credit to link goes to jhmoss1812 in the Game Thread) https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/virginia-runs-streak-to-14-holds-syracuse-to-fewest-points-in-history-at-home/2018/02/03/19365044-0929-11e8-b48c-b07fea957bd5_story.html?utm_term=.4f6920cc7d24

Hunter revealed after the game he grew up as a Syracuse fan but soured on the program when it did not offer him a scholarship.

He got offers from NC State and Notre Dame among others. Why did we pass on this guy?

I'll left Jim Calhoun answer that one, (warning: it's not bleeped):

So are you saying that asking about recruiting strategy is a dumb question? If so,I'd tell you and JB and Calhoun the same thing: lazy, cop-out answer.

So are you saying that asking about recruiting strategy is a dumb question? If so,I'd tell you and JB and Calhoun the same thing: lazy, cop-out answer.

NO - he is literally saying "you can't take them all."

Which is especially true for Syracuse lately, due to the sanctions and scholarship reductions.

AND - you just never know who may develop late and become awesome, unless you're Doctor Who.

Steph Curry is pretty much the best player in the world right now.
You'd think a guy that good now, would have had offers from every blue-blood program, and every other one too.
Yet he went to Davidson, not Duke or UK.
Coach K and PayPal Cal should just step down now, clearly neither has any eye for talent.
:rolleyes:

NO - he is literally saying "you can't take them all."

Which is especially true for Syracuse lately, due to the sanctions and scholarship reductions.

AND - you just never know who may develop late and become awesome, unless you're Doctor Who.

Steph Curry is pretty much the best player in the world right now.
You'd think a guy that good now, would have had offers from every blue-blood program, and every other one too.
Yet he went to Davidson, not Duke or UK.
Coach K and PayPal Cal should just step down now, clearly neither has any eye for talent.
It's a legitimate question how a guy from Philly who grew up a Cuse fan that just torched us didn't even get a look from the program. Especially when our Forward rotation is an absolute ****show right now.

Hunter was also a 4 star, ranked 60 nationally. Not sure how that happens when Moyer was ranked 20 spots higher and can't dribble or shoot (which this guy clearly can), but it's not like Hunter was a 3 star - diamond in the rough that we would never look at.

No need to make the most gigantic leap in the history of point making by using Steph Curry as an example.

Last edited:
Among other things, Hunter was injured during his sophomore year of high school (or, at least, I believe that was when). He missed a significant part of the season, and I think he missed the summer circuit. As a result, lots of programs either did not see or simply passed on him. The various services didn't elevate his status until recruiting was practically over.

Among other things, Hunter was injured during his sophomore year of high school (or, at least, I believe that was when). He missed a significant part of the season, and I think he missed the summer circuit. As a result, lots of programs either did not see or simply passed on him. The various services didn't elevate his status until recruiting was practically over.

This is the kind of actual information I was looking for, thanks.

It's a legitimate question how a guy from Philly who grew up a Cuse fan that just torched us didn't even get a look from the program. Especially when our Forward rotation is an absolute ****show right now.

No need to make the most gigantic leap in the history of point making by using Steph Curry as an example.

AGAIN - you can't take them all.

Hunter's offer sheet wasn't exactly a who's who of elite teams.
Virginia was his best offer, followed by Notre Dame, then Okie Lite and NCSt.
ZERO blue-blood offers - it's almost like nobody knew he'd end up being this good this soon.

Our shitshow F rotation?? OSB, Moyer, Marek.

I think OSB would be KILLING it if he was playing for UVA right now, always having 4 other really good players around him at all times, with floor spacing and guards who can actually make plays for him.
Do you think Hunter would be better than OSB if he was playing for SU this season? LOL.

Hunter is averaging 8 & 3.
OSB is averaging 14 & 9.

You were saying? :rolleyes:

UVA redshirted a top 30 recruit last year. Diakite.

They recruit tough, physical kids with a mix of good shooters that stay for 3-4 years. Great blueprint for success.

AGAIN - you can't take them all.

Hunter's offer sheet wasn't exactly a who's who of elite teams.
Virginia was his best offer, followed by Notre Dame, then Okie Lite and NCSt.
ZERO blue-blood offers - it's almost like nobody knew he'd end up being this good this soon.

Our shitshow rotation?? OSB, Moyer, Marek.

I think OSB would be KILLING it if he was playing for UVA right now, always having 4 other really good players around him at all times, with floor spacing and guards who can actually make plays for him.
Do you think Hunter would be better than OSB if he was playing for SU this season? LOL.

Hunter is averaging 8 & 3.
OSB is averaging 14 & 9.

You were saying? :rolleyes:
Yes...rotation. Rotation implies more than just OB and his 40 shots needed to get 14 points.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of OB. I think he'll be a stud next year. However, right now he's a volume shooter to get those points.

After him we have Moyer and Marek who honestly shouldn't even be seeing playing time on a Tournament viable ACC team.

Yes...rotation. Rotation implies more than just OB and his 40 shots needed to get 14 points.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of OB. I think he'll be a stud next year. However, right now he's a volume shooter to get those points.

After him we have Moyer and Marek who honestly shouldn't even be seeing playing time on a Tournament viable ACC team.

Marek had 9 and 7 yesterday. He’s had his stinkers, but he’s had some strong performances against good teams too.

I'll left Jim Calhoun answer that one, (warning: it's not bleeped):

love it. Also am 100% convinced that if I posted that it would get deleted. Congrats on most favored nation status

UVA redshirted a top 30 recruit last year. Diakite.

They recruit tough, physical kids with a mix of good shooters that stay for 3-4 years. Great blueprint for success.
Well, just to expand a bit. Diakite was originally in the class of 2016. In the summer of '15, when he decided to commit, it became known that he had enough credits to finish The Miller School early, he reclassified, enrolled at UVa, and redshirted. Instead of spending a final year in high school, he got a head start on his academics and physical training. UVa's front court was pretty crowded that year, anyway. Hunter redshirted last year. He was recruited as a perimeter player, and those positions were crowded, too. He did add 20+ lbs. in the weight room, and it might be argued that Thompson and, especially, Shayok transferred because they saw their PT in jeopardy.

OB would probably be good on UVA but no question in my mind Hunter would be very good on SU. He can finish! That play in the 1H where he made a tough layup by splitting Chukwu and another defender in traffic was impressive. I mean he showed a better handle than Howard on that finale coast-to-coast dribbling display beating our whole team down the court.

love it. Also am 100% convinced that if I posted that it would get deleted. Congrats on most favored nation status

It might still be. The day is young. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom