DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPION OKLAHOMA HIGHLIGHTS 2014 SOFTBALL SLATE | Syracusefan.com

DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPION OKLAHOMA HIGHLIGHTS 2014 SOFTBALL SLATE

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
The 2014 edition of Syracuse Softball is about to get underway. Their first 26 games are on the road starting February 7th in Alabama.

Then it's off to South Carolina, California, Florida, North Carolina and Virginia before heading home March 22 to face Georgia Tech. Hopefully the weather cooperates for that home opener.

Had a chance to catch a few games in the fall and liked what I saw. IMHO this might be the best hitting team SU has fielded in the past five years.

SU's pitching staff is deeper than it's been in years. They have three front line pitchers headed up by junior veteran Lindsay Taylor and freshman whiz bangs Christina Clermont from San Diego California and our own NYS player of the year and graduate of Cicero North Syracuse power hitting Sydney O' Hara.

To my eye Clermont had an edge over the other two with total command of the strike zone. There's not a bit of wasted motion in her delivery and she varied her delivery to keep the batters off stride. She chalked up a lot of K's.

O' Hara is a very hard worker and her pitching has improved since the fall. She has edged into the upper 60's on radar. On the hitting side of the equation this fall she hit a ball to centerfield which I overheard head coach Leigh Ross remark was the deepest home run she has seen in that area.

Junior Mary Dombroski displayed consistent power, Jasmine Watson was making more contact and hitting for power too. Shirley Daniels was getting on base a lot and making a pest of herself with stolen bases.

Try to catch a game sometime, I have a feeling this will be a special team, perhaps a top three in the ACC.

Story

Schedule

Last edited:
02062014_S_Softball_ZiniuChen_SP_.jpg

SU opens on Friday in Alabama Tournament

Syracuse looks for improved pitching after struggling on mound last season

rp_primary_2014SU-Softball-Team.jpg

SU recieved some votes in the ESPN.com/USA Softball Collegiate Top 25 poll. The ladies open up against Austin Peay at 3:30 PM in Alabama. THey then take the field again at 5:45 PM to take on Southern Alabama you can follow the action on the live blog at Cuse.com

'CUSE OPENS 2014 AT MARDI GRAS TOURNAMENT
http://cuse.com/news/2014/2/6/SB_0206142945.aspx?path=softball#.UvSLRvldWyk

SOFTBALL RECEIVES VOTES IN PRESEASON POLL
http://cuse.com/news/2014/1/28/SB_0128144040.aspx#.UvSK4_ldWyk

APSU Lady Govs Softball opens campaign at Mardi Gras Invitational
http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/20...tball-opens-campaign-mardi-gras-invitational/

Last edited:
Orangeyes Hey OE... See the ladies had a good weekend last week... Not so good against NC. Can you give a midseason update... How do we stack up against the ACC thus far?

Orangeyes Hey OE... See the ladies had a good weekend last week... Not so good against NC. Can you give a midseason update... How do we stack up against the ACC thus far?
The pitching has been a problem against the better competition. The Canadian gal isn't eligible, Lindsay Taylor hasn't regained the form she had last year before her injury, the California girl Christina Clermont has been rocked. Sydney O' Hara is coming on but Virginia wasn't much of a test. The team is scheduled to play Georgia Tech Sat & Sunday at home but the weather here won't permit that. They are switching it to Atlanta Friday DH & Saturday single game. Before the season began I had high hopes that they could contend in the ACC, not so sure now. Watson's hitting has improved and I think the overall team batting average is higher than last year but the pitchers are giving up too many runs. In the fall I thought Clermont looked like the best of the bunch. Now that the competition has stepped up I think she might have the freshman jitters, she walks and hits batters in the crunch.
Click

The pitching has been a problem against the better competition. The Canadian gal isn't eligible, Lindsay Taylor hasn't regained the form she had last year before her injury, the California girl Christina Clermont has been rocked. Sydney O' Hara is coming on but Virginia wasn't much of a test. The team is scheduled to play Georgia Tech Sat & Sunday at home but the weather here won't permit that. They are switching it to Atlanta Friday DH & Saturday single game. Before the season began I had high hopes that they could contend in the ACC, not so sure now. Watson's hitting has improved and I think the overall team batting average is higher than last year but the pitchers are giving up too many runs. In the fall I thought Clermont looked like the best of the bunch. Now that the competition has stepped up I think she might have the freshman jitters, she walks and hits batters in the crunch.
Click

Thanks OE. Why is the Canadian girl ineligible? Something that might be worked out this year? We seem to have a young team though. Could it be we take some lumps this year and flourish next year? Any big recruits?

Thanks OE. Why is the Canadian girl ineligible? Something that might be worked out this year? We seem to have a young team though. Could it be we take some lumps this year and flourish next year? Any big recruits?
We have a great shortsop coming in next year. The last I heard softball was hopeful Jocelyn Cater would be able to play next year. She used a year at Washington but they gave SU permission to use her right away as long as they didn't pitch her against them. She is the national pitcher for Team Canada.
I did see something about next years class. If I have time away from NCAA b'ball I'll dig it up.