Defense defense defense | Syracusefan.com

Defense defense defense

Dave85

Living Legend
The only way this team is going to have real success is by having an elite defense. Defense is everything for this team. I hope this years team takes defense beyond seriously. I hope these kids really buy into it wholeheartedly and put everything into learning how to do full team shifting. And most importantly I hope the players get the next level of conditioning needed to play 2-3 zone at the elite level.

To play the 2-3 zone really well takes an insane amount of energy and conditioning. Brandon Triche was so awesome on defense. We had such amazing defensive players at the top zone over the years. Rebounding takes lots of grit and determination when playing 2-3 zone. We need players with the right mentality to rebound in the 2-3 zone.

I hope this team gels and takes the defense to the higher level. The numbers are looking better this year:

"The Orange allowed 71.7 points per game in the 2016-17 season, the most since the 2008-09 campaign. Opponents connected on 43 percent of their shots, the worst mark since the 1992-93 team."

"Syracuse stymied Iona on Tuesday evening in a 71-62 win, holding the Gaels to 36.7 percent from the field."

Syracuse basketball sees uptick in defense in win over Iona - The Juice Online

Defense is the key to everything this year in my opinion. The offense can always be better. But defense wins games against elite teams.

I agree. We're not winning games on offense this season. A 1000% effort is what it's going to take to win games against the better opponents. The fact that these guys seem to have a hunger to learn, and play hard will give them a chance.

I really liked that article. Thanks for posting it! Boeheim seems positive about this team’s potential, without hyping them like he did last year. Alas! He loves teams that make effort on defense and this team is making effort.

Agree. Defense and get out and run! Not sure if we have the necessary team speed out there against good teams with Frank/Moyer out there but we need to try anyways.
Exactly. This is what our better defensive teams do. I think that's why we might see Marek (and Geno once he figures it out) more. Matt has to contribute something to stay on the floor and we know it probably isn't going to be speed.

Exactly. This is what our better defensive teams do. I think that's why we might see Marek (and Geno once he figures it out) more. Matt has to contribute something to stay on the floor and we know it probably isn't going to be speed.
Slow and steady wins the race???

I believe we have the right personel to have superior defense. Still it will take the team as a whole giving superior effort, full attention and installing the adjustments JB makes. The great thing about defense is that its something you can bring consistently every game. If we are able to do that I think we can avoid the bad losses we suffered last year while the team improves. That said I'm not ready to write off this teams offensive potential. Lots of new faces and it's very likely we haven't seen the true potential offensive upside of guys like Thorpe, Moyer and Dolezaj. We have "the dude" in Battle. Although Frank is not a PG he is much better than I expected playing off the ball and being a scorer. He is a playmaker not a pg and often times the best play is for him to call his own number. Throw in Brissett who will get better and more consistent as the season goes and this team has some good peices offensively.

Last edited:
The only way this team is going to have real success is by having an elite defense. Defense is everything for this team. I hope this years team takes defense beyond seriously. I hope these kids really buy into it wholeheartedly and put everything into learning how to do full team shifting. And most importantly I hope the players get the next level of conditioning needed to play 2-3 zone at the elite level.

To play the 2-3 zone really well takes an insane amount of energy and conditioning. Brandon Triche was so awesome on defense. We had such amazing defensive players at the top zone over the years. Rebounding takes lots of grit and determination when playing 2-3 zone. We need players with the right mentality to rebound in the 2-3 zone.

I hope this team gels and takes the defense to the higher level. The numbers are looking better this year:

"The Orange allowed 71.7 points per game in the 2016-17 season, the most since the 2008-09 campaign. Opponents connected on 43 percent of their shots, the worst mark since the 1992-93 team."

"Syracuse stymied Iona on Tuesday evening in a 71-62 win, holding the Gaels to 36.7 percent from the field."

Syracuse basketball sees uptick in defense in win over Iona - The Juice Online

Defense is the key to everything this year in my opinion. The offense can always be better. But defense wins games against elite teams.
We have the tenacious defense mentality for sure if you look at each player other then the centers who need to get more mean and nasty( not dirty) ad let teams know you don’t want to come in here. The “ not in our house” mentality must prevail inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom