Defense tonight | Syracusefan.com

Defense tonight

Just awful. Thompson is really, really bad at defense. Awful.

Defense was weak but we will never see a Hayes/Happ combo again all year. You could literally not have a better player to the at the foul line and a better player to put on the baseline. Wisconsin is a good team that has played together for a while. This team will have bumps in the road, we will get better every game. Tonight stinks but we will be fine.

Did we "play" defense tonight? Oh, we must have, since we didn't play offense. We will definitely gel in the future, just hope it's not too late.

At this point it looks like we have a LOT of upside! Two tough games back to back that did an excellent job of exposing Syracuse weaknesses. Hopefully coaching staff pulld these game films out for many reruns this year.
Hope TT is OK.

Slow hands on D in the zone. The defense just did not have intensity. They did not learn from what the other teams was doing to beat the zone. No adjustments. No transition baskets. We just seamed slower tonight.

Defense was weak but we will never see a Hayes/Happ combo again all year. You could literally not have a better player to the at the foul line and a better player to put on the baseline. Wisconsin is a good team that has played together for a while. This team will have bumps in the road, we will get better every game. Tonight stinks but we will be fine.

Bad match-up?

Bad match-up?
Yes. Wisconsin has 4 players that have been to 2 Final Four's and Ethan Happ. Nigel Hayes put on a clinic tonight, but lucky for us there are not many Nigel Hayes' around the country.

We had maybe 3 "good" defensive possessions last night. Even when Wisconsin missed they were usually good shots. And when they missed, they often got the rebound. Cannot overstate how terrible defense was last night. Mind-boggling bad.

would you describe the middle of our zone as HAPPLESS , HELPLESS , OR HOPELESS.

(neil young chooses B times 3)

Last edited:
I agree that the defense was awful but we have 5 guys that haven't played games in our zone before (White/Gillon/Battle/Thompson/Chukwu) and Howard who played like 10 minutes a game last year. It will take time and we will get there. The defense will improve. In fact I think when we get to the end of the year and look at the team we have and compare it to now it will be the biggest increase in recent memory. Just my opinion. This matchup was god awful and it's strange we got Wisky the team that everyone knows is the worst matchup for us 2 years in a row. They didn't used to do things like that in the old league.

Legit sad.

Cannot even describe how bad this is, from everyone.

Huge credit to Wisconsin. A team that plays actual... basketball.
I'm curious if they set a new Div I record for points per possession? They must have been pretty close to 2.0 ppp which is off the charts. They were playing at a fairly deliberate tempo, and STILL almost cracked 80 if their walkon hits that 3 at the buzzer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom