Defense G-town (who still sucks) will use tonight

• MTM with Porter on CJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MTM with Porter on James

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
Wonder what JT3 does tonight. Go man to man? If so, does he move Porter off of CJ for Dirty because Southie is so hot? That could result in CJ going off tonight.

Does he go zone and risk Triche and Southie (especially James) continuing the shooting we have seen the last couple nights?

EDIT: Darn it - site didn't allow my last poll choice - zone. Can anyone help me fix that?

If he goes anything but zone against us I'll lose any respect I had for him as a coach. He has zoned us twice and gotten two wins. To change it up now would be a very bad idea, I would think.

If he goes anything but zone against us I'll lose any respect I had for him as a coach. He has zoned us twice and gotten two wins. To change it up now would be a very bad idea, I would think.

They played a lot of man that last game.

yeah, they didn't play much zone in the 2nd game

During the last game Georgetown seemed to put a lot of pressure on the guards at the top of the key and it really made it hard for the guards to run the offense.

He's going to play defense with his offense.

I expect that most possessions they'll pass the ball around for 25 seconds or so before attempting a shot.

Wonder what JT3 does tonight. Go man to man? If so, does he move Porter off of CJ for Dirty because Southie is so hot? That could result in CJ going off tonight.

Does he go zone and risk Triche and Southie (especially James) continuing the shooting we have seen the last couple nights?

EDIT: Darn it - site didn't allow my last poll choice - zone. Can anyone help me fix that?

Georgetown will play a zone against where the guys on top are almost playing man to man, harassing our guards into turnovers and frustration. It'll be the same defense they used to beat us by 20.

And you can be sure that Southerland will be tracked and someone will be tight on him as soon as he catches the ball. They'll ignore everyone else behind the line.

The question is how will Syracuse attack their zone.

They will start in zone like they have the past two and we will need to shoot them out of it this tie around if we can make them abandon the zone it will open up the floor for us to get the ball inside.

During the last game Georgetown seemed to put a lot of pressure on the guards at the top of the key and it really made it hard for the guards to run the offense.

Mike blew right by gtowns guards last game pressure or not.

Georgetown will play a zone against where the guys on top are almost playing man to man, harassing our guards into turnovers and frustration. It'll be the same defense they used to beat us by 20.

And you can be sure that Southerland will be tracked and someone will be tight on him as soon as he catches the ball. They'll ignore everyone else behind the line.

The question is how will Syracuse attack their zone.

Each of the last two games, they've played a hybrid 3-2 zone, which gives them a player to match up with each of our guys up top [MCW, Triche, Southerland or CJ]. Those guys extend as soon as the ball is passed, closing out on the shooter to take away any room and push them further out.

Hope we learned from the last game that we need to make adjustments and find ways to get the ball to the foul line extended, and have baseline cutters when the back line players come up to the ball.

What I don't want to see is more of the same--our guards passing it around up top with no room to maneuver. Would love to see us burn them a few times down low to make them play more honestly.

Each of the last two games, they've played a hybrid 3-2 zone, which gives them a player to match up with each of our guys up top [MCW, Triche, Southerland or CJ]. Those guys extend as soon as the ball is passed, closing out on the shooter to take away any room and push them further out.

Hope we learned from the last game that we need to make adjustments and find ways to get the ball to the foul line extended, and have baseline cutters when the back line players come up to the ball.

What I don't want to see is more of the same--our guards passing it around up top with no room to maneuver. Would love to see us burn them a few times down low to make them play more honestly.

Guards need to dribble penetrate without getting hung up with nowhere to go or getting in there and making terrible passes.

I think I'd go with Southerland flashing at the foul line instead of CJ. CJ had mixed result there against Gtown. Southerland has the height to shoot a 15 footer over people. Gtown wouldn't be expecting this either so they'd have to adjust to it. Go with CJ down low and rotate out to the wing.

Would Southerland be better setting that high pick - for the pick and rolls - and that pick might actually free him up for clear 3pt attempts at the top. Just some thoughts.

We don't match up well against this defense, can we even score 50 points? We've had 46 and 39 so far.

Last game shooting:

MCW 8-13
Fair 3-10
Southerland 0-8
Triche 1-9

Yup, they were on MCW on the catch. I would think we've got to run a little higher and try to spread them out even more.

Guards need to dribble penetrate without getting hung up with nowhere to go or getting in there and making terrible passes.

I think I'd go with Southerland flashing at the foul line instead of CJ. CJ had mixed result there against Gtown. Southerland has the height to shoot a 15 footer over people. Gtown wouldn't be expecting this either so they'd have to adjust to it. Go with CJ down low and rotate out to the wing.

Would Southerland be better setting that high pick - for the pick and rolls - and that pick might actually free him up for clear 3pt attempts at the top. Just some thoughts.

We don't match up well against this defense, can we even score 50 points? We've had 46 and 39 so far.

Last game shooting:

MCW 8-13
Fair 3-10
Southerland 0-8
Triche 1-9

Good post!

Pick and rolls are going to be tougher to execute up top with them giving us a 3-2 look [there will be an extra defender out there to rotate to the guy coming free], but I like the idea of the dribbling-challenged Southerland flashing to the high post to receive a pass there. Would be a nice wrinkle.