Depth | Syracusefan.com

Depth

OrangeFoo

All American
My main concern coming out of yesterday is our supposed 9/10 man rotation is at risk of being down to 6.5 and I might be generous in saying that.

Girard, Buddy, Sidibe, Hughes, Marek are the unquestioned starters. While I feel like for now Edwards is hopefully the center off the bench, JB would prefer to slide Marek to center and have Guerrier be the 4 but it looks like the game is going too fast for Guerrier at this point. From a guard perspective Goodine is the only backup and while he can use up minutes, he doesn’t offer much on offense.

My prediction is Goodine, Guerrier, Edwards get a lot of minutes against cupcakes but the starters other than Sidibe play 35 minutes plus in games that count or that are tight. The replacement for Sidibe is either Marek with Guerrier at the 4 or Edwards for a straight switch.

so much for depth... tho in this case Guerrier and Goodine and Braswell don’t seem to be able to make an impact against the Colgates of the world so not sure what they can do in the ACC.

My main concern coming out of yesterday is our supposed 9/10 man rotation is at risk of being down to 6.5 and I might be generous in saying that.

Girard, Buddy, Sidibe, Hughes, Marek are the unquestioned starters. While I feel like for now Edwards is hopefully the center off the bench, JB would prefer to slide Marek to center and have Guerrier be the 4 but it looks like the game is going too fast for Guerrier at this point. From a guard perspective Goodine is the only backup and while he can use up minutes, he doesn’t offer much on offense.

My prediction is Goodine, Guerrier, Edwards get a lot of minutes against cupcakes but the starters other than Sidibe play 35 minutes plus in games that count or that are tight. The replacement for Sidibe is either Marek with Guerrier at the 4 or Edwards for a straight switch.

so much for depth... tho in this case Guerrier and Goodine and Braswell don’t seem to be able to make an impact against the Colgates of the world so not sure what they can do in the ACC.

I'm not sure I see any guys on our roster that should be playing 35 plus minutes based on their ability level (as opposed to makeup of the current roster). Just don't see them as being that great or that consistent that they deserve those type of minutes every game. If the back of the roster isn't good enough to earn minutes and be able to rotate in for greater minutes when a starter is off, this will be a long season indeed.

I love JB.

But I'm tired of how many minutes we have certain players play. I had hoped this season would be different.

I guess I don't see the issue.

Depth is unproven, given that so many of the players [Girard, Goodine, Edwards, Guerrier] are frosh who have only played 2 games. Add Braswell in as a relatively unproven soph.

I think Edwards is a .5 type of guy this year, despite his upside. The others will all play.

How much / how many minutes? TBD. But I don't look at this roster and see depth as an issue, as much as potentially quality / reliability.

I think it is pretty clear that we won't see 9 or 10 every night. But we also will see 9 or 10 who will play overall. Just a different top 7-8 depending on the hot hand. I know that making the change regarding Carey sucks for Jalen and I hope he still succeeds but it is a step in the right direction vs pure stubbornness and bad starts all year.

Completely disagree with Goodine take. Doesn’t offer much on offense?

While I agree that I would REALLY like to see JB not play Eli, Buddy, and Marek for 35+ a game -
you know how Boeheim do.

Edwards & Marek will back up CDB at the 5 - hopefully in that order.
But if not, then Marek & Edwards - I agree with Jesse being a ".5" kinda guy this season.

Brycen Goodine WILL play, probably every game, and probably non-trivial minutes.
Jalen Carey - TBD??? Who knows what happens next?

Guerrier may not get 20+ mins a game, but he also will play every game.

So - 3 guards (maybe 4, Carey TBD - and HoWash probably relegated once ACC starts), 3 forwards, 2 C's.
aka - JB SOP since pretty much forever.

I think the bold part is very important moving forward. Hopefully they grow during out of conference play. The other thing is starters need to play well enough to allow the bench player to get some run and game experience!

I'm not sure I see any guys on our roster that should be playing 35 plus minutes based on their ability level (as opposed to makeup of the current roster). Just don't see them as being that great or that consistent that they deserve those type of minutes every game. If the back of the roster isn't good enough to earn minutes and be able to rotate in for greater minutes when a starter is off, this will be a long season indeed.

I would concur with that, as I think our starters are the "depth" guys by definition, but this is the bed we made.

I would imagine Buddy, Marek, Hughes are locked in for a ton of minutes. I would imagine Sid's minutes, and perhaps JGIII have more play in them. I guess you hope for some positive development out of Goddine, and Guerrier, and that should come, and hopefully we get a bit more versatile as the season progresses. Braswell? No clue.

I don't think Guerrier vs Braswell PT is determined yet, because neither has played well. Guerrier should be the better rebounder, but he is not rebounding 2 rebounds in 2 games 26 total mins. That is the same as Braswell in 1 game 8 mins. Teams will start to treat Guerrier like Carey and not guard him until he proves he can help them. Braswell is clearly the better shooter but he has to do more than just shoot.

I honestly couldn't care less how many players we play. I just want to win. I have seen plenty of schools play 5 or 6 kids and win big. And certainly not just at Syracuse. I also wouldn't mind seeing us play 10 and press all game. I care only about winning.

While I agree that I would REALLY like to see JB not play Eli, Buddy, and Marek for 35+ a game -
you know how Boeheim do.

Edwards & Marek will back up CDB at the 5 - hopefully in that order.
But if not, then Marek & Edwards - I agree with Jesse being a ".5" kinda guy this season.

Brycen Goodine WILL play, probably every game, and probably non-trivial minutes.
Jalen Carey - TBD??? Who knows what happens next?

Guerrier may not get 20+ mins a game, but he also will play every game.

So - 3 guards (maybe 4, Carey TBD - and HoWash probably relegated once ACC starts), 3 forwards, 2 C's.
aka - JB SOP since pretty much forever.
I actually like playing your best/most important players as many minutes as possible. With the number of extended timeouts in a game, the fact that we only press in the second half when it is needed, and the relatively low number of games played combined with the amount of rest in between those games if they're in the shape that they should be I think 35+ minutes isn't too much of a burden.

That may not even be the biggest reason that you and others have a different opinion but that's just my take on the matter.

I actually like playing your best/most important players as many minutes as possible. With the number of extended timeouts in a game, the fact that we only press in the second half when it is needed, and the relatively low number of games played combined with the amount of rest in between those games if they're in the shape that they should be I think 35+ minutes isn't too much of a burden.

That may not even be the biggest reason that you and others have a different opinion but that's just my take on the matter.

It's less of "riding your horses", and more of -
getting other guys minutes, so they develop, and can contribute when called upon, rather than getting thrown into the fire w/ hardly any game experience.

Yes, when it's winning time in a tight game, you want your 5 best players on the floor, period.

But, for large stretches of many games, you can easily afford to sit guys like Eli, Buddy, and Marek (not necessarily all at once) for a few minutes, and let their backups get some much-needed run.

Once the Colgate game was in hand midway thru the 2nd half, there was nearly zero reason for Eli, Buddy, Marek, or CDB to be in that game for one minute longer.
We were up 18 with 12.5 mins left.
Up 24 with 7.5 mins left.

ALSO - unless you give guys a chance, you'll never know if/when they can have one of those "NBA Jam ON FIRE!" kinda games out of the blue.

Pitino was famous for this - he'd play 12 guys almost every game, and occasionally some Random White Guy would go to plaid - seemingly always against us.
Kyle Kuric just dunked on us again.

Pitino famously threw him into the game in the 2nd half and told him "GO DOMINATE!"
So he did.

If you never put those bench guys in, you never get magic moments like that.

Its 8.

Goodine spells Girard/Buddy/Hughes. Geurrier spells Marek/Sid. Hughes plays 40 every night unless its a blowout. Buddy 35+ with multiple 40s over the year. Edwards is 8 and only seen if Sid is hurt or in foul trouble. TBD on how many minutes 6/7 Geurrier and Goodine get. Trust me JB wants them to carve out a bigger role.

9/10 Washington and Braswell will only play in blowouts.

JB no longer scheduled cupcakes. All our opponents are worthy opponents.

jessie better be in the rotation is all I came here to say... If I see Marek at the 5 my TV may not survive...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom