Derrick Coleman / Rony Seikaly | Syracusefan.com

Derrick Coleman / Rony Seikaly

ManleyRocks

Walk On
Benny Williams needs to be forced to watch a continuous reel of Derrick Coleman in a dark room for the next 48 hours. He needs to see what beast mode looks like…Benny has many of the physical attributes of Coleman but he needs to that nasty / angry attitude on the court. He should own every offensive and defensive rebound. Full stop.

And Jesse needs to develop the footwork that Seikaly developed by his junior / senior year/ Jesse has great height and length but does not have great strength. I would rather see drop steps and other great footwork than seeing him dribble to back down his man.

Break out the old VCRs and show them the master class. (And while they are at it, show Judah the videos of Sherman Douglas).

The prototypes exist and these guys have the attributes to be those types of players.

I don’t know about that….DC is arguably our most skilled and talented player ever.

Benny needs to be Paul Harris…who people bagged on, but he was 14 and 9 as a soph, mostly off effort and making the most of his athleticism.

Comping Benny to Coleman in any way is a reach of magnificent proportions. Coleman was the # 1 pick in the draft. The only draft Benny will be in is if he becomes the host of “This Old House.”
IMO, Benny might better watch Dennis Rodman videos. That, he could try to emulate. Coleman would be out of reach for 2-3 basketball lifetimes for Benny (or any SU player).
The drop step requires strength, which Jessie doesn’t posses. Also, Rony was a far superior athlete and a much bigger guy than Jessie. Rony also got to play against much better players in practice than Jessie does, and had better position coaching (Bernie Fine).

Comping Benny to Coleman in any way is a reach of magnificent proportions. Coleman was the # 1 pick in the draft. The only draft Benny will be in is if he becomes the host of “This Old House.”
IMO, Benny might better watch Dennis Rodman videos. That, he could try to emulate. Coleman would be out of reach for 2-3 basketball lifetimes for Benny (or any SU player).
The drop step requires strength, which Jessie doesn’t posses. Also, Rony was a far superior athlete and a much bigger guy than Jessie. Rony also got to play against much better players in practice than Jessie does, and had better position coaching (Bernie Fine).
To be fair, sophomore DC would not have been the #1 pick.

Jesse's lack of strength this long into his tenure here is criminal. He can't post low enough because he's too weak to hold ground. He can't back people down because he's too weak, and he has no finish move.
It's sad too because Joe is decent in terms of feeding the post. Something this program usually lacks.

Benny could still watch DC in action for inspiration. I used to watch Agassi and Sampras and then go out and play tennis and I always played better because I was inspired. If watching DC inspires Benny to play with the edge he needs, then I hope he gets a highlight reel together and watches it before every game.

This is why I hesitate to ever bring up any other player in a post about a current player.

As soon as someone sees an old player's name in a post about a current player, everyone jumps in to question the comparison in one way or another.

Other than stating that they share physical attributes, the OP did not compare Benny to DC or make implications that they have equal abilities. He's stating that he could learn from watching old videos of him in action and I don't think any of us would question that.

This is why I hesitate to ever bring up any other player in a post about a current player.

As soon as someone sees an old player's name in a post about a current player, everyone jumps in to question the comparison in one way or another.

Other than stating that they share physical attributes, the OP did not compare Benny to DC or make implications that they have equal abilities. He's stating that he could learn from watching old videos of him in action and I don't think any of us would question that.
Hell, I emulated DC in HS and in YMCA mens leagues, and I am a billion times less athletic than DC. I also emulated Dwight Freeney in lunchtime flag football at my first adult / real job.

I watch Benny and see emotion and athleticism, but a lack of awareness & skill. Like, he shoots, but doesn't follow his shot. Shots go up and he doesn't box anyone out. Last night, SU lost the ball on a missed shot, and Benny put his head down to start running downcourt. The outlet pass to Louisville was bobbled and this occurred right by Benny. If he was aware, he could have easily tipped or grabbed the ball. A lot of little bad things that add up. All of which are fixable.

To be fair, sophomore DC would not have been the #1 pick.
But that’s because almost everyone stayed 3 years then. College bball is the only sport you can objectively watch and say “they were just so much better 35 years ago”

Jesse's lack of strength this long into his tenure here is criminal. He can't post low enough because he's too weak to hold ground. He can't back people down because he's too weak, and he has no finish move.
It's sad too because Joe is decent in terms of feeding the post. Something this program usually lacks.
Why do we have 3 former SU guards as assistants and position coaches? Our bigs have not had a good teacher in years. If we wanted to stay in house then I'm sure Etan or John Wallace would jump at the opportunity. Also, former players as assistants is a cute idea but not necessary if you can get better personnel.

Benny needs to watch Scottie Barnes. He needs to look at players that did everything else and worked on their shot.

I know Scottie Barnes can do more and prob has a better handle/vision, but Benny needs to be a multiple-threat guy that can defend and do other things than score. His shot should come along.

If Jesse wants to be on the block more, all he needs is to have a baby hook that is reliable with accompanying footwork. If he wants to get wild, be able to go over both shoulders. I doubt that will happen within this year. He has kind of a baby hook right now. He really should be rim running much more.

Benny needs to watch Scottie Barnes. He needs to look at players that did everything else and worked on their shot.

I know Scottie Barnes can do more and prob has a better handle/vision, but Benny needs to be a multiple-threat guy that can defend and do other things than score. His shot should come along.

If Jesse wants to be on the block more, all he needs is to have a baby hook that is reliable with accompanying footwork. If he wants to get wild, be able to go over both shoulders. I doubt that will happen within this year. He has kind of a baby hook right now. He really should be rim running much more.
Jesse should be rim running much more because he doesn't have any other piece to his game on a post up. He should have been working on the baby hook from his 1st day on campus.

Comparing DC to Benny is like comparing a ferrari to a scooter. DC is a force we haven't seen since. A legit NBA HOF talent at PF.

Paul Harris, as said above, is a reasonable comp
Paul Harris was one of the best rebounders of the Boeheim era and consistently found a way to score. Benny is a long way from that at the moment.

But that’s because almost everyone stayed 3 years then. College bball is the only sport you can objectively watch and say “they were just so much better 35 years ago”
He still wouldn't have been the #1 pick as a sophomore. He wasn't the best player in the 87-88 team. You could argue he was #3 behind Sherm and Seikaly that year. Sherm and Seikaly wouldn't have gone pro after 86-87 if they were eligible.

BTW, I wholeheartedly agree with your last sentence.

Benny could still watch DC in action for inspiration. I used to watch Agassi and Sampras and then go out and play tennis and I always played better because I was inspired. If watching DC inspires Benny to play with the edge he needs, then I hope he gets a highlight reel together and watches it before every game.
I remember people saying no one should every try to play like McEnroe, because only he could do what he did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom