DEs | Syracusefan.com

DEs

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
SU is lucky to have such a talented core of LBs to mask what is seemingly the weakness of the defense (DEs). We cannot forget the push up the middle that Bromley can get. Remember how well he came on towards the end of the season? He was remarkable against an SEC OL. There's much talk from the PSU side about SU's lack of a pass rush; that may be so from the flanks of the defensive line, but I certainly wouldn't scoff at the pressure SU could potentially put on whomever PSU starts. As we've seen, HCSS does not shy away from sending players in at each and every angle, which will absolutely be a big advantage against an inexperienced QB. Hopefully, the back 7/8 are experienced enough to keep tabs on the best group of TEs in the country. That ought to be the key to the game.

SU is lucky to have such a talented core of LBs to mask what is seemingly the weakness of the defense (DEs). We cannot forget the push up the middle that Bromley can get. Remember how well he came on towards the end of the season? He was remarkable against an SEC OL. There's much talk from the PSU side about SU's lack of a pass rush; that may be so from the flanks of the defensive line, but I certainly wouldn't scoff at the pressure SU could potentially put on whomever PSU starts. As we've seen, HCSS does not shy away from sending players in at each and every angle, which will absolutely be a big advantage against an inexperienced QB. Hopefully, the back 7/8 are experienced enough to keep tabs on the best group of TEs in the country. That ought to be the key to the game.

To me, one of the biggest keys to the season is if the DEs can stop the run. I'm not even that concerned with them generating pressure, because we blitz from all over. I just want to make sure that teams don't run around the corner on us all season long. We've got some big (not necessarily fast) guys who we are putting out there, and their number 1 job, to me, is to get containment. I like our strength up the middle and I like our LBs and defensive backs. If the defense can play well, it will give the offense time to gel.

I still think our DE's are being underestimated.

I'm also curious if we'll see some 3-4 sets with Raymon lining up as one of the DE's.

To me, one of the biggest keys to the season is if the DEs can stop the run. I'm not even that concerned with them generating pressure, because we blitz from all over. I just want to make sure that teams don't run around the corner on us all season long. We've got some big (not necessarily fast) guys who we are putting out there, and their number 1 job, to me, is to get containment. I like our strength up the middle and I like our LBs and defensive backs. If the defense can play well, it will give the offense time to gel.

The word on Welsh is he is always on proper position and doesn't over pursue. His pash rushing skills are a work in progress but agree, if our DE's can play the run and keep contain we'll be in good shape. Thankfully Penn State doesn't have a running QB to worry about.

I still think our DE's are being underestimated.
I tried to be careful about that by saying "seemingly". I think the DL, as a whole, will be as productive as last year's, which I'd imagine most of us would sign up for in a heartbeat.

ˇhe speed/quickness of our LBers could mitigate theDE's ability to pressure or sack the QB I like our inside guys to create seams/lanes for our backers to shoot through and do the job. I like it this year and next year it will be even better

I tried to be careful about that by saying "seemingly". I think the DL, as a whole, will be as productive as last year's, which I'd imagine most of us would sign up for in a heartbeat.
Seemingly is a great word that avoids the use if a positive implication of the word "is" without the drastic" being wrong syndrome." BTW I agree.:p

i wonder about moving lynch or using another lb type guy as a speed rusher in obvious passing situations

I agree. There are three X factors if you ask me - Raymon and where he lines up, and if we do some 4-3 / 3-4 swaps, because that completely changes the personnel on the field, and the impact of Trevon Trejo and Ron Thompson at DE. Right there are 3 players, all pretty well regarded, none of which who have seen a snap here. I'd feel a whole hell of a lot worse about the DE's if Trejo and Thompson weren't in the picture.

Shafer on his show last night referred to some injuries among the DE's. Anybody know who he was talking about?

Did the PSU fans notice that SU was sixth in the nation in tfl last season?

Did the PSU fans notice that SU was sixth in the nation in tfl last season?

Their too busy thinking the PSU tight ends are going to have 1000 yards recieving tomorrow. And contemplating running 5 tight end sets on offense.

Their too busy thinking the PSU tight ends are going to have 1000 yards recieving tomorrow. And contemplating running 5 tight end sets on offense.

They have dominate players at every position, depth isn't an issue, and they're tight ends are 7 feet tall and run a 3.4 50 yard dash. I've read a lot of "local" Penn State writers this week and they are not Cohen if you know what I mean.

They have dominate players at every position, depth isn't an issue, and they're tight ends are 7 feet tall and run a 3.4 50 yard dash. I've read a lot of "local" Penn State writers this week and they are not Cohen if you know what I mean.
And they shoot lighting bolts out their arsse

He could just be referring to Simmons and Marona.

Not sure we should be worried that we haven't heard from trejo though.

Lynch is a very good at blitzing

I was just thinking to myself that Lynch will probably lead us in sacks this year. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.