Desko discusses injury to FOGO Williams, looks at alternative options at X (DO) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Desko discusses injury to FOGO Williams, looks at alternative options at X (DO)

A lot of the advanced stuff I've read discounts the affect of face offs when compared to other factors, and that's probably right since we've mostly overcome the issues and had real good teams anyway. That being said, with an offense like this and a 72% guy at the dot, that has to play a big part. Think one of the PS writers calculated that our possession edge is leading to 4+ more goals because of our strong shooting.

A lot of the advanced stuff I've read discounts the affect of face offs when compared to other factors, and that's probably right since we've mostly overcome the issues and had real good teams anyway. That being said, with an offense like this and a 72% guy at the dot, that has to play a big part. Think one of the PS writers calculated that our possession edge is leading to 4+ more goals because of our strong shooting.

As they say "in order to score you need to have the ball." I have read the advanced stuff as well but agree that based on the eye test it looks like it matters a lot. It sure did when we lost to Duke in the title game a couple of years ago.

As I was leaving the dome Sunday, we stopped and looked down on the field as the players were still roaming around the bench area. Williams and some other players were up against the wall talking with people up in the stands, and he had both arms up on the rails and rotated his shoulder many times. That was nice to see.

On the slo-mo replay, it did seem as if he was dropping before contact. Like something gave out when he was exerting pressure...
That was the scariest part. Our guy didn't touch him and he just dropped his stick because he was in so much pain. I hope he's OK. He's a huge weapon for you.

and he struggled against the cornell kid. he must be over 80% the other games

He was 9-22 against Cornell.

He was 53-64 against teams not named Cornell.

Yep, that's it. Doesn't look like a lacrosse should pad that I'm familiar with but maybe it is. Or maybe it's some type of under armor with additional padding. But that strap and the flat gray color made me think of a brace.

Easy Goer said:
I saw it on TV too and thought the same thing. Here is a picture showing the brace/wrap.

Yep, that's it. Doesn't look like a lacrosse should pad that I'm familiar with but maybe it is. Or maybe it's some type of under armor with additional padding. But that strap and the flat gray color made me think of a brace.

I'm pretty positive it's some sort of brace because it's only on the one side. I would think if some kind of new shoulder pad, he would have it coming down on both sides. Could possibly have some kind of custom extra padding on one shoulder pad, but doesn't seem likely and it looks like that brace/wrap type of material and color like you mention.

In a big game Give me Brennan all day, in 08 he was a beast. Your right about Cercy though man 71.1% thats insane. Hopefully Williams can keep it up, its great to sit back and watch him dominate.
Cercy was unreal from his sophomore year on. He also benefitted from he best ground ball hawk I have seen, Sam Bassett. Bassett would add 5-10 percentage points to any faceoff guy. Joe Ceglia was also a great lsm on the wing grabbing GBs.

He was 9-22 against Cornell.

He was 53-64 against teams not named Cornell.

And even in the Cornell game he had a goal and an assist which more than made up for being under 50%.