despite being offered $175million but Yanks didn't show respect | Syracusefan.com

despite being offered $175million but Yanks didn't show respect

CaliCuse

All American
That kind of stuff perfectly demonstrates how these pampered wads think. I'm glad he is gone. Like so many other spoiled lug nuts they expect more than reasonable I hope he enjoys rainy Seattle. I know people in that city and they are getting out ASAP. Its depressing. The Yanks will continue to sea an they will be just fine.

That kind of stuff perfectly demonstrates how these pampered wads think. I'm glad he is gone. Like so many other spoiled lug nuts they expect more than reasonable I hope he enjoys rainy Seattle. I know people in that city and they are getting out ASAP. Its depressing. The Yanks will continue to sea an they will be just fine.
$240 million in Seattle (with the prospect of a future trade to greener pastures if things don't work out) v. $175 million in New York (for the same years and only marginally more dollars than Ellsbury received). What would a 30-year-old Cali have done?

$240 million in Seattle (with the prospect of a future trade to greener pastures if things don't work out) v. $175 million in New York (for the same years and only marginally more dollars than Ellsbury received). What would a 30-year-old Cali have done?
Yanks offered $25 million per year for 7 years. Jay Z miscalculated that they would offer the same $25 million per year once the M's upped the ante to 10 years (ie $250 million v $240 million). Yanks didn't bite. Doesn't mean they disrespected him in any way, it just means they didn't want to commit to that many years.

I j ust saw this, but whenever a player says he was disrespected, I would say it means 105% of the time they didn't offer him enough money.

Shawn91111 said:
If the players didn't get it then the owners would.

Not if the prices weren't insane as they are. Baseball used to be a very fan friendly sport to attend even at the highest level. You can't bring a family of 4 to a big league game for under 300. The players, the owners, the unions, and everybody receiving money from this sport just don't care about the fans. Everybody is about money and it's disgusting. Unless I have a free ticket to a NBA, MLB, or NFL game I wouldn't go. Outside of college athletics the only games I attend are lower level minor league games, probably will be hitting up the Chiefs dollar nights this season though.

Not if the prices weren't insane as they are. Baseball used to be a very fan friendly sport to attend even at the highest level. You can't bring a family of 4 to a big league game for under 300. The players, the owners, the unions, and everybody receiving money from this sport just don't care about the fans. Everybody is about money and it's disgusting. Unless I have a free ticket to a NBA, MLB, or NFL game I wouldn't go. Outside of college athletics the only games I attend are lower level minor league games, probably will be hitting up the Chiefs dollar nights this season though.
I don't go either. I watch the game on my '73 HD tv. And when the game is over, I'm home.

There's little reason to really think the prices would be any lower if somehow salaries were lower. The owners would just pocket more money.

Knicks411 said:
There's little reason to really think the prices would be any lower if somehow salaries were lower. The owners would just pocket more money.

If everybody wasn't so greedy, owners and players they could lower the prices. Would never happen but no reason why they couldn't.

If everybody wasn't so greedy, owners and players they could lower the prices. Would never happen but no reason why they couldn't.

Sure, but like you said, there's no reason to expect that to happen. If the money didn't go to the players, it would just stay with the owners. So I can't get too worked up about it when it goes to the people I watch play the games

Sure, but like you said, there's no reason to expect that to happen. If the money didn't go to the players, it would just stay with the owners. So I can't get too worked up about it when it goes to the people I watch play the games

Well which came first, the chicken or the egg? No question, ticket prices have accelerated with salaries. But to think owners would charge this much anyway, if the payroll was $100M per year less doesnt sound accurate to me.