DI Council moves start of basketball season | Syracusefan.com

DI Council moves start of basketball season

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
The college basketball season can start three days earlier this fall, the Division I Council decided Wednesday.

“The hope is that the change in start date for basketball will create an excitement around the tip-off of the season and provide better scheduling balance in the calendar,” said Council chair Blake James, athletics director at Miami (Florida). “Because we didn’t increase the number of games, schools also will have more flexibility to provide students time off during the holidays.”

As a result of the change, the 2018-19 basketball season will begin Nov. 6 instead of Nov. 9. The Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern conferences will vote on a proposal Friday that will require schools to give basketball student-athletes a three-day break during the winter vacation period. Student-athletes who compete in men’s and women’s basketball supported that change, according to the 2016 time demands survey.

The college basketball season can start three days earlier this fall, the Division I Council decided Wednesday.

“The hope is that the change in start date for basketball will create an excitement around the tip-off of the season and provide better scheduling balance in the calendar,” said Council chair Blake James, athletics director at Miami (Florida). “Because we didn’t increase the number of games, schools also will have more flexibility to provide students time off during the holidays.”

As a result of the change, the 2018-19 basketball season will begin Nov. 6 instead of Nov. 9. The Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern conferences will vote on a proposal Friday that will require schools to give basketball student-athletes a three-day break during the winter vacation period. Student-athletes who compete in men’s and women’s basketball supported that change, according to the 2016 time demands survey.

Why not mandate to time off during the holidays.

Why not mandate to time off during the holidays.

Because it might interfere with the money coming in from TV networks on Holiday tournaments.

This year our guys had to report back for a Christmas afternoon practice as I recall. Give the kids time off over the holidays to be home with their friends and families.

Because it might interfere with the money coming in from TV networks on Holiday tournaments.
I understand that. My point is if you want to give time off at holidays, mandate it for all.

Truthfully, I think it would be better for college basketball if it were strictly a spring semester sport. January through April. Get it out of the shadow of football. Starting 3 days earlier? Who cares?

Truthfully, I think it would be better for college basketball if it were strictly a spring semester sport. January through April. Get it out of the shadow of football. Starting 3 days earlier? Who cares?

Since the season is 21 weeks long, you'd be going from January through June.

I actually think it's perfect now. Thanksgiving is the last week of college football really. Then you have a handful of teams playing in the conference title games the next week and after that there are bowl games going here and there but not enough that you can't start to watch both of you have that interest. I think the reality is that there is a section of people who only watch March Madness and there is a section of people that watch the season. Scheduling won't change that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom