Did anybody see the Pitino presser? | Syracusefan.com

Did anybody see the Pitino presser?

I don't know Rick there was blown calls on both sides. Lol about the bad blood part.

man...his eyes were really starting to separate and go off in different directions

Say what you want about whatever negative things you can bring up about Pitino, know that the man knows his way around talent and the court. Know also he is extremely loyal to his players.

The players give back, too. This year's GPA at the break was 3.41 - I kid you not. If that's somehow worth a slam on the man, please have at it. His players are graduating and the academic performances of UofL teams are a major reason why they looked more appealing to the ACC.

Louisville fans are questioning many things about Rick's subbing patterns - as they always do - especially after losses. Personally, I'm glad he was pissed. I mean, isn't that what you want in a coach?

Presser didn't seem that bad. Certainly compared to some of JB's classics.

Did they really start clapping for him at the end? Really?

C'mon.

There were 2 blown calls that went in our favor, but no need for sour grapes, colonel sanders

Say what you want about whatever negative things you can bring up about Pitino, know that the man knows his way around talent and the court. Know also he is extremely loyal to his players.
You think we don't know that??? We had him first, you know. :D

I cannot believe the timeout question. I mean, just a terrible job on the reporter's part. JB probably would've flipped out on him even more.

The players give back, too. This year's GPA at the break was 3.41 - I kid you not. If that's somehow worth a slam on the man, please have at it. His players are graduating and the academic performances of UofL teams are a major reason why they looked more appealing to the ACC.

Louisville fans are questioning many things about Rick's subbing patterns - as they always do - especially after losses. Personally, I'm glad he was pissed. I mean, isn't that what you want in a coach?

I hope you come back here to check this post out Senore, because I have a question I'd love your opinion on.

I've always thought that Pitino's overall philosophy made the most sense. He presses and then falls back into a zone. This exploits every weakness. In college, everybody has holes in their game. Usually they are either very athletic or very skilled shooters but not both (if you are both very athletic and a very skilled shooter you usually dont stay in college very long). The press exposes the guys who are not great athletes and the zone exposes the guys who are not great shooters.

To me, this is sound basketball philosophy. If there is a problem with it, its that it asks too much of its players (its very hard to be great at pressing and great at playing zone). When it works, like it has in the past two years, Louisville is on the top of the defensive world. Other times, I think they are more inconsistent than they need to be because the D he plays is so hard to pick up and to execute correctly.

Since you are a fan and watch the program closely what do you think? Do you think Pitino has a habit of asking too much from his players?

I think Rick gave a very professional performance under trying circumstances.

I hope you come back here to check this post out Senore, because I have a question I'd love your opinion on.

I've always thought that Pitino's overall philosophy made the most sense. He presses and then falls back into a zone. This exploits every weakness. In college, everybody has holes in their game. Usually they are either very athletic or very skilled shooters but not both (if you are both very athletic and a very skilled shooter you usually dont stay in college very long). The press exposes the guys who are not great athletes and the zone exposes the guys who are not great shooters.

To me, this is sound basketball philosophy. If there is a problem with it, its that it asks too much of its players (its very hard to be great at pressing and great at playing zone). When it works, like it has in the past two years, Louisville is on the top of the defensive world. Other times, I think they are more inconsistent than they need to be because the D he plays is so hard to pick up and to execute correctly.

Since you are a fan and watch the program closely what do you think? Do you think Pitino has a habit of asking too much from his players?

The short answer to your question is "Yes", but allow me to qualify that. It's really tough for freshmen.

But that doesn't mean his exasperation (which definitely shows with a quick jerk of someone who played out of position for one play) is misplaced, necessarily but it addresses your question very directly. Truth is, Pitino's defenses have changed yearly. Our best defense of the season has been man to man, actually, but you guys challenge that with your length. This season more than most has seen us in M2M a lot. So it's a defense we'll have as a resource when it's called for, which is a reasonable tool in the ol' tool bag. What we see any more is something apparently amorphous, unlike your defense which was predictable and yet totally rock-solid and nearly flawless yesterday, especially in preventing our "mosquitoes" from getting in the lane.

This year, Rick has experienced upperclassmen who have adopted the game plans and who can implement whatever he wants on demand. In years past, we've shifted from Zone to man to man withing the same defensive possessions - something truly fascinating to watch and which can confuse an inexperienced opponent. But that was on the gimmicky side. This season's athletes can play any defense at a Championship level - so there is less worrying about 'junking it up' and surprising better teams.

The remaining issue about "asking too much" is a non starter. When you consider the amount of sheer effort Louisville teams put into ballgames, the conditioning it requires is actually not for everyone. Among some others, Derrick Caracter is a perfect case in point. He is brutal in the weight room thing and in body fat measuring.

For some of us, we believe their amount of defensive effort applied can detract from offensive development. The players can be casual about their own turnovers and missed shots, knowing they can get the ball back so often, is our occasional fear.

But, like a good horse, Rick's team love to run. It's an attractive method of basketball and fun as hell to play.

I'd like to turn angry Pitino loose on some of the Triche bashers on this board.

Uh-oh, I'm sensing this Pitino quote is going to become this years equivalent to the Bilas "BT is the best player on this team" quote from two years ago.

"What, you think Triche isn't a great threee point shooter, ridiculous, Pitino said he's the most underrated player in the whole world!!"

:)

He was all fired up. "Let's ask some legitimate questions, because I'm really pissed off". Lol
While watching this, I was thinking: Good! He should be pissed off. They just got beat in their own house. I feel sorry for Nova, their next opponent as Ville will come out angry and stay that way the entire game.
He coulda shoulda woulda used this pregame, lol.

Pitino's eyes seem to move and aim independently like a chameleon. I was wondering if he is one of those "Reptilians" that you hear about on late nite radio, Coast to Coast.

He is not extremely loyal to his players, he has booted several from the team to free up scholarships.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom