Did I read this correctly? | Syracusefan.com

Did I read this correctly?

cto

Administrator
Is Jim Calhoun really going to be the analyst on the Gonzaga/Memphis game tonight... with Beth Mowins doing the play-by-play?

Memphis at No. 3 Gonzaga
10 p.m. | ESPN2
Announcers: Beth Mowins, Jim Calhoun

He's been doing some TV work, but this could be his first true color commentating.
What a switch for someone who was notoriously gruff with the media.
Maybe they're looking to try him out on a west coast game that will have limited viewership back east (even if it is a good game)?

Then again, every time I look at the NCAA tournament announcers and see that John Thompson is doing color for the national radio broadcast of the Final Four, I do a double take (and then cringe).

Last edited:
He's been doing some TV work, but this could be his first true color commentating.
What a switch for someone who was notoriously gruff with the media.
Maybe they're looking to try him out on a west coast game that will have limited viewership back east (even if it is a good game)?

Then again, every time I look at the NCAA tournament announcers and see that John Thompson is doing color for the national radio broadcast, I do a double take (and then cringe).
I haven't heard Jim Calhoun.
But broadcasting has no standards when it comes to post-coaching or playing announcing work.
Doesn't matter how nasty you were or how bad you may be.
If you have a name...you can get a job.
And Thompson is the best (or worst) example of that.
Absolutely unbelievably unlistenable.
(And I'm not just saying that because I loathe him and his former team. I say it because it's true).

Calhoun has done select American games as a color guy this year. He is working his way up the ladder which is commendable instead of just starting on high profile games.

He is okay on commentary but does always bring up his time at UConn each game I have heard. Surprised he is flying cross country to do a Gonzaga game and Beth Mowens is an underrated pbp announcer and an SU alum.

Can't be any worse than Dakich, who today complained about a hand check being called on the perimeter. You know since what college hoops really needs is for refs to allow more contact from perimeter defenders.

Can't wait for Marshawn Lynch to do color commentary for the NFL.

I'm guessing the NCAA is coming down hard on both programs next week :)