Did JB's antics have the desired effect? | Syracusefan.com

Did JB's antics have the desired effect?

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
After his storming of the court, I think it may have gotten exactly what he wanted.

This is from the Seth Davis article posted above.

Based on my conversations with coaches over the last few weeks, and based on what I've seen, it appears that the refs are once again letting too much contact go. Adams has noticed the same thing. Next week, he is going to have a conference call with roughly 100 officials, during which he plans to re-emphasize the importance of preserving freedom of movement for the offensive player, whether he's a dribbler or cutter. Remember, referees are independent contractors who are monitored by various league coordinators. So the only area in which Adams and the committee have the ability to reward and punish the zebras is through their assignments in the NCAA tournament.

In other words, another adjustment is coming. Players and coaches who grew accustomed to more physical play down the stretch of the regular season are going to be dealing with referees who will call games more strictly because, just like the teams, they want to advance to the later rounds of the NCAA tournament. This is all part of the adjustment process that is going to take longer than one year. Former Phoenix Suns' GM Jerry Colangelo recently told Adams that when the NBA clamped down on hand checking, it took three years for everyone to adjust accordingly. And that's with one commissioner and a smaller roster of referees who are fulltime league employees. So the task that college basketball faces in cleaning things up is even more daunting. It's a worthy destination, but we will see during the NCAA tournament that the journey won't always be pretty.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140312/fast-five-elite-eight-sleepers-joel-embiid-kansas-jerami-grant/#ixzz2vrW7qDdY

I wish this had come before the conference tournaments, because I think it helps SU out immensely, but at least they are actually having the discussion in time for the NCAA tourney.

After his storming of the court, I think it may have gotten exactly what he wanted.

Based on my conversations with coaches over the last few weeks, and based on what I've seen, it appears that the refs are once again letting too much contact go. Adams has noticed the same thing. Next week, he is going to have a conference call with roughly 100 officials, during which he plans to re-emphasize the importance of preserving freedom of movement for the offensive player, whether he's a dribbler or cutter. Remember, referees are independent contractors who are monitored by various league coordinators. So the only area in which Adams and the committee have the ability to reward and punish the zebras is through their assignments in the NCAA tournament.

In other words, another adjustment is coming. Players and coaches who grew accustomed to more physical play down the stretch of the regular season are going to be dealing with referees who will call games more strictly because, just like the teams, they want to advance to the later rounds of the NCAA tournament. This is all part of the adjustment process that is going to take longer than one year. Former Phoenix Suns' GM Jerry Colangelo recently told Adams that when the NBA clamped down on hand checking, it took three years for everyone to adjust accordingly. And that's with one commissioner and a smaller roster of referees who are fulltime league employees. So the task that college basketball faces in cleaning things up is even more daunting. It's a worthy destination, but we will see during the NCAA tournament that the journey won't always be pretty.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140312/fast-five-elite-eight-sleepers-joel-embiid-kansas-jerami-grant/#ixzz2vrW7qDdY

I wish this had come before the conference tournaments, because I think it helps SU out immensely, but at least they are actually having the discussion in time for the NCAA tourney.

Bad news for Louisville and Duke.

JB wanted less hand-checking, doubt his tirade was to rid the new style of officiating. I think the outburst had more to do with not allowing the ACC to do to SU what they have done to everyone but UNC and Duke.

Its not surprising how much better the tight m2m teams got on defense as the season went on and the whistles stopped blowing as much. Its one of the partial reasons for our offensive struggles as well.

JB wanted less hand-checking, doubt his tirade was to rid the new style of officiating. I think the outburst had more to do with not allowing the ACC to do to SU what they have done to everyone but UNC and Duke.

I think the writer was pointing out that the new style kind of went away the deeper we went into conference play and that JB wanted it back to how it had been earlier in the season. That said I agree with you that JB's outburst was about not taking it lying down or biting his tongue over being screwed over for Duke like the rest of the conference has.

Did anyone else see the train wreck man pile no call at the end of regulation in the GT/BC game last evening ? I was incredulous there was no call. It almost looked like the same ref that had called the CJ charge in the Duke game.

Did anyone else see the train wreck man pile no call at the end of regulation in the GT/BC game last evening ? I was incredulous there was no call. It almost looked like the same ref that had called the CJ charge in the Duke game.

The guy was out of control, yes but the defender stepped in and extended his forarms out to make contact. It was an obvious foul and the worst part was they called a piddly little bump the play before when Hanlan drove and got blocked. They called a body bump when Hanlan was forcing his way by the defender (he also clearly took 3 steps on the replay) and he got two FT's. I though that call and the non call were bad but it was the complete inconsistency that really made it aweful.

I think the writer was pointing out that the new style kind of went away the deeper we went into conference play and that JB wanted it back to how it had been earlier in the season. That said I agree with you that JB's outburst was about not taking it lying down or biting his tongue over being screwed over for Duke like the rest of the conference has.

Exactly what I got out of it as well jordoo and why I think there was even more of a reason for JB to do it when he did.

This does not sound good at all to me. This sounds like a Sweet 16 game in which Ennis, Cooney, Xmas and Grant all foul out. Pretty much that is how our last two or three NCAA tournaments have ended even with the OLD rules.

This does not sound good at all to me. This sounds like a Sweet 16 game in which Ennis, Cooney, Xmas and Grant all foul out. Pretty much that is how our last two or three NCAA tournaments have ended even with the OLD rules.

We actually hand check and body on the perimeter much less than the average team. It helps us because teams have been riding Ennis specifically on the hip when he drives for the last two months. They have also been holding our cutters much more than early in the season.

Great Point. JB desperately wants the game called close, it opens up our offense

This sounds like a Sweet 16 game in which Ennis, Cooney, Xmas and Grant all foul out.
It helps us because teams have been riding Ennis specifically on the hip when he drives for the last two months.

Ennis' fouls seem to be less "subtle" - he seems to gets called for sticking his straight-armed palm into another player's chest!

That was an absolutely horrific no-call, yet there were the commentators commending them on the call. Huh? How could that not be a foul? On someone, anyone...if that's allowed they might as well have the players start wearing helmets and pads.

I think touch fouls only get called on syracuse's centers. It amazes me how hand checking goes uncalled, but Keita and Christmas stand their ground as the offensive player creates all the contact and they are whistled.