Did some research with a friend today | Syracusefan.com

Did some research with a friend today

Marsh01

Living Legend
Trying to find a team last year that compares with what type of season we are having and how did their season end up. That team was the Florida Gators.

This team started out 10-2 and then surged to an 18-4 record (6-1 in the SEC). They then finished the season 4-5 in their final 9 games and ended up the regular season at 22-9 and 10-6 in the SEC. They played Alabama in the quarters of the SEC tourney and barely beat them. Then they lose to Kentucky in the quarters so they entered the NCAA tournament with a 23-10 record and a 7 seed.

They get shipped out to Omaha Nebraska and face a 10 seed Virginia team who they totally wiped the floor with en route to a 71-45 opening round victory. Then the Red Sea parted.

15 seed Norfolk State upset 2 seed Missouri. That resulted in the Gators playing a 15 seed in round 2 and they were leading 29-4 before Norfolk State knew what hit them and cruised to the sweet 16 beating them 84-50.

Then they faced the 3 seed Marquette Golden Eagles. Well we all know that Buzz's style of play does not cut it out of the BE and Florida feasted on them advancing to the elite 8 with a comfortable 68-58 victory. They then faced the 4 seed (7 vs 4 in a regional final) and ended up losing to Lousville in a good game where they had control late and let it slip away 72-68.

My point is that good teams go through tough stretches at times. Get them out of the conference and they flourish in the NCAA's. Sometimes the bracket opens up and you get a dream draw which is what Florida got last year.

Dont lose hope once we start the NCAA's no matter what seed we are.

I've been waiting for a bracket to open up for us for a few decades...maybe this will finally be the year.?!...

Interesting comparison. That Florida team was scuffling badly. Similar to Cuse. All depends on the bracket.

So, how many more games do we need to lose to lock up that #7 seed? :D

Marsh, seriously, stop. Just stop. . For the love of God, stop giving me reasons to develop a deeper man crush on you. It's getting disturbing.

id rather be a 6 or 7 than 4 or 5 in some of the likely 1 seeds brackets(duke and indiana seem likely to end up on 1 seed line) with miami,gonzaga,georgetown,louisville, kansas and michigan st in the mix for last 2 1 seeds

id rather be a 6 or 7 than 4 or 5 in some of the likely 1 seeds brackets(duke and indiana seem likely to end up on 1 seed line) with miami,gonzaga,georgetown,louisville, kansas and michigan st in the mix for last 2 1 seeds

Give me the 6 over the 4-5 anyday. I'm not going to route for us to lose games to get the higher seed but it could work out better with the 6 than say the 4.

Give me the 6 over the 4-5 anyday. I'm not going to route for us to lose games to get the higher seed but it could work out better with the 6 than say the 4.

im hoping to win out a make a solid bet showing to slide up to a 3 but if not ...6

Agreed. We're not getting a 4 or better unless we make a VERY deep BET run.

Love the optimism! i only wish i shared it. You said your point was that good teams have tough stretches. This team has yet to demonstrate that it's good.

When I hear that every team has weaknesses, all I can think is that the teams that really have a chance also have strengths. I'm having trouble coming up with the strengths that people seem to think this team has.

I'd love to feel better about this team but I can't seem to muster the enthusiasm you have.

Let me help. I watch the savaging here and I find it a little strange. A pretty good Louisville team not only lost to your team - minus Sutherland - at their place, but even in the win yesterday it was as easy as chewing on nails. Syracuse is long, skilled and persistent. The team has the right attitude which involves not giving up.

Louisville fans admire the Orange, let me put it that way - in simplest terms. Last season we had a trajectory very similar to Florida's - losing games late to USF (on Senior Night, no less) and you guys in the last 2 ball games. And they weren't even close, lol, making it slightly worse. We frankly did not see our later tourney runs coming, in other words.

As dismal as you feel now, your team gets a chance to reinvent an already top frigging notch ballclub, which is the true benefit of a post-season. You won't have far to go, either. Hey - you guys are damned good. Hope that helps.

Marsh, seriously, stop. Just stop. . For the love of God, stop giving me reasons to develop a deeper man crush on you. It's getting disturbing.
No, he should not stop, because I am getting a lady crush on him!

Didn't Florida have a real inside presence and solid guard play with Beal and Boyton? I think they shot the 3 much better than us too.

I can see some parallels in the late season dip but we are not as good offensively as they were. If Triche's head doesn't get clear were not making any noise in the post season.

Didn't Florida have a real inside presence and solid guard play with Beal and Boyton? I think they shot the 3 much better than us too.

I can see some parallels in the late season dip but we are not as good offensively as they were. If Triche's head doesn't get clear were not making any noise in the post season.

That's the thing. They had Murphy missing when we played them as well. They had lots of shooters including their little PG, Erving Walker, I believe. Patric Young was/is raw but he was still more of a presence than Rak.

They were a similar team in that they had worlds of talent and just had flaws. Fortunately for them they shot well in the post season, bigs played like they should have and they got a great draw. Getting out of conference play where teams know you like the backs of their hands can benefit us.