Did the C7 make a wise choice leaving ESPN? | Syracusefan.com

Did the C7 make a wise choice leaving ESPN?

Orangemen

All Conference
For the life of the first contract, it's clear that - financially- they have made a good choice. Fox needs content, and apparently over paid for it. Good for the C7.

From an exposure standpoint, on the other hand, I wonder if this was the right call, or even a good call. ESPN has so cornered the market on college basketball that it almost seems like games that don't happen on ESPN didn't happen at all. The only other platform that comes close is CBS on Saturday or Sunday afternoons.

Fox Sports 1 will be a channel that most people won't know exists by Dec 1 of this year. How many casual sports fans will think to turn over to Fox Sports 1 on a random weeknight to see a BE game? The conference doesn't have the pull of any team to make casual fans seek out their channel. Maybe that was the logic in keeping ND for one year. A legitimate name brand that people will actually seek out. The C7 will more than likely be relying on spillover from the Big 12 or Pac 12 exposure to draw eyeballs to their games.

I hope it does work out for them, and for Fox Sports 1. A legit alternative to ESPN is great for you and me. Anything that gives me more high quality live sports programming is a plus in my eyes.

For the life of the first contract, it's clear that - financially- they have made a good choice. Fox needs content, and apparently over paid for it. Good for the C7.

From an exposure standpoint, on the other hand, I wonder if this was the right call, or even a good call. ESPN has so cornered the market on college basketball that it almost seems like games that don't happen on ESPN didn't happen at all. The only other platform that comes close is CBS on Saturday or Sunday afternoons.

Fox Sports 1 will be a channel that most people won't know exists by Dec 1 of this year. How many casual sports fans will think to turn over to Fox Sports 1 on a random weeknight to see a BE game? The conference doesn't have the pull of any team to make casual fans seek out their channel. Maybe that was the logic in keeping ND for one year. A legitimate name brand that people will actually seek out. The C7 will more than likely be relying on spillover from the Big 12 or Pac 12 exposure to draw eyeballs to their games.

I hope it does work out for them, and for Fox Sports 1. A legit alternative to ESPN is great for you and me. Anything that gives me more high quality live sports programming is a plus in my eyes.

If someone can find MSG, MASN or other minor sports networks, they'll certainly find Fox1. Fox will have a huge campaign to let people know what they are doing. They make no bones about the fact that they are going to be ESPNs worst nightmare.

Big12 and Pac10 Football. People will figure it out.

If someone can find MSG, MASN or other minor sports networks, they'll certainly find Fox1. Fox will have a huge campaign to let people know what they are doing. They make no bones about the fact that they are going to be ESPNs worst nightmare.

It could be a big deal, but ESPN is ESPN. They drive sports in this country and are the best at hyping its products. Look at the flop NBC has been on all levels. Fox seems to be pumping money, but there's a cache to being on ESPN that Fox can't bring to the table just yet.

Though, ESPN worrying about Fox should cause it to open up the purse for the ACC to protect the one conference it owns.

Any reason for leaving this current mess of a conference is a good reason

It could be a big deal, but ESPN is ESPN. They drive sports in this country and are the best at hyping its products. Look at the flop NBC has been on all levels. Fox seems to be pumping money, but there's a cache to being on ESPN that Fox can't bring to the table just yet.

Though, ESPN worrying about Fox should cause it to open up the purse for the ACC to protect the one conference it owns.

Between Fox News and the NFL deal they have a pretty good track record of doing what they say can't be done. (queue Smokey and the Bandit theme here) so I don't know that I would bet against them.

While NBC is somewhat of a flop, remember that Fox Sports is a dedicated sports channel and not just part of the existing Fox news network. There are also many of us that are getting a little tired of the ESPN way of doing things.

I think that the point about exposure is an important one to raise. ESPN dominates the sports news cycle, and they seem to have adopted the mindset of burying (as much as is reasonably possible) games/sports that they don't own the rights to.

While NBC is somewhat of a flop, remember that Fox Sports is a dedicated sports channel and not just part of the existing Fox news network. There are also many of us that are getting a little tired of the ESPN way of doing things.

Yes, this is the first I've heard of a "Fox Sports 1," but I'll give them about a million chances to prove they're better than the schlock ESPN has morphed into. Have to think we'll all benefit from the competition

Between Fox News and the NFL deal they have a pretty good track record of doing what they say can't be done. (queue Smokey and the Bandit theme here) so I don't know that I would bet against them.

I agree - I just wonder if calling the sports channel Fox will make Fox1 seem like the JV network. They'll have the big events like their NFL games on the Fox broadcast network. It would seem anything on Fox1 is lesser, like being the noon football game on ESPNU.

Yes, this is the first I've heard of a "Fox Sports 1," but I'll give them about a million chances to prove they're better than the schlock ESPN has morphed into. Have to think we'll all benefit from the competition
I thought it is important to provide the Fox PR announcement for their new sports stations: Fox 1 and Fox 2...these used to be Speed and Fuel. The Catholic 7 made a very good decision..because although I would like to believe that having the access that ESPN provides is meaningful, the $$$ from FOX are significantly good...this is one of the primary reasons why the ACC needs an increase in $$$ from ESPN inorder to survive being poached by FOX's conferences...especially the B1G.
So the ACC should benefit from this high FOX $$$ offer as a means to renegotiate with ESPN for more dollars for its TV rights...end game, ACC must receive more $$$ to survive as we know it.
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/FOX-Sports-announces-FOX-Sports-1-network-030513

Big East basketball helped build ESPN. Maybe Big East basketball can help build Fox Sports.

I agree - I just wonder if calling the sports channel Fox will make Fox1 seem like the JV network. They'll have the big events like their NFL games on the Fox broadcast network. It would seem anything on Fox1 is lesser, like being the noon football game on ESPNU.
Think of it as:
Fox == ABC
Fox Sports 1 == ESPN
Fox Sports 2 == ESPN2/ESPNU

It will take a bit of time to acquire enough programming to fill all of the time on both sports channels, but it took ESPN a while too. "Professional Bull Riding" and Australian Rules Football (I love that game) were featured programming on ESPN at one point.

Think of it as:
Fox == ABC
Fox Sports 1 == ESPN
Fox Spots 2 == ESPN2/ESPNU

It will take a bit of time to acquire enough programming to fill all of the time on both sports channels, but it took ESPN a while too. "Professional Bull Riding" and Australian Rules Football (I love that game) were featured programming on ESPN at one point.

My favorite 80's ESPN programming was World Class wrestling after school.

If the Fox Sports Networks are on a higher tier ...ESPN is available on most lower non HD/Digital tiers, Fox will be at a big disadvantage.

Big12 and Pac10 Football. People will figure it out.
This is Disney vs News: a 100 billion dollar corporation against a 75 billion dollar corporation.

NBC sucks because they don't own the rights to any good content, Fox on the other hand has a bunch already and will acquire more. Not to mention, they have the fox soccer channels which I've been a huge fan of for a long time. NBC should stick to the biggest loser and throw in the towel now before they blow a lot of money!