Did the Mayans tell us exactly what time the world was coming to an end today?? | Syracusefan.com

Did the Mayans tell us exactly what time the world was coming to an end today??

cpatrocks

Starter
Just trying to figure out if I need to start working on these expense reports...

I had heard it was supposed to be around 5am, so you're good.

Your answer:
Despite popular belief, the Mayan apocalypse is not scheduled to occur at midnight on Friday, but rather is pegged for the winter solstice.
The winter solstice, also known as the December solstice, takes place when the sun reaches its southern-most declination of -23.5 degrees. At this time, areas on the Earth above 66.5 degrees north latitude (Arctic Polar Circle) will be in darkness while places below 66.5 degrees south (Antarctic Polar Circle) will have 24 hours of daylight. In 2012, this will happen at 11:12 a.m. Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) or 6:12 a.m. EST.

So, sorry...yes, you have to work on those TPS...err...expense reports

those pesky mayans should've just stuck to beans,rubber,temples and tasty bundt cakes (yes quite fruity and delicious) things the ancients were good at and leave the apocolypsing to those other howler monkeys the neocons!

The world has got it wrong. The Mayans really weren't predicting the world would come to an end today. A proper interpretation of what they said would translate to the world coming to an end after our first loss of the season. Today was only an average estimated date based upon games that we might lose or might have lost. If you don't believe me, just watch this board melt down when that loss event finally occurs.

PS - The real mystery in this Mayan event is how they knew our schedule way back when.

those pesky mayans should've just stuck to beans,rubber,temples and tasty bundt cakes (yes quite fruity and delicious) things the ancients were good at and leave the apocolypsing to those other howler monkeys the neocons!
I guess you are right, having a debt that now exceeds our GNP is no big deal, that is if your head is in the sand. If interest rates go up, just what do you think will happen?

certainly won't be maxxing out my amex green again king k'inich pakal. fool me once throw me in a volcano...

The nominal national debt rose from $900 billion to $2.8 trillion during Reagan's tenure,

certainly won't be maxxing out my amex green again king k'inich pakal. fool me once throw me in a volcano...

The nominal national debt rose from $900 billion to $2.8 trillion during Reagan's tenure,

are you just copying and pasting random things together?

I love these theories! Does anybody know if they Actually stated that the world would end or if their calendar ended? How do we know if they didnt Just run out of room to write?

PS - The real mystery in this Mayan event is how they knew our schedule way back when.

To be fair, I'm sure they were listening to MSTN (no doubt featuring a young Digger Phelps), who told them we don't leave NY until the winter solstice. Only natural to expect the loss at that point...

I love these theories! Does anybody know if they Actually stated that the world would end or if their calendar ended? How do we know if they didnt Just run out of room to write?

According to the Academy Award-winning movie 2012, we are all screwed except for John Cusack.

I woke up this morning hoping I wouldnt see my two stuffty neighbors while waiting for the elevator this morning. No such luck. I have given up on the Mayans...and have now turned my attention to the Hopi Indians.

8 of their 9 "signs" have apparently come true. I guess we all have to wait for the 9th. When the 9th comes, I'm hoping my neighbors will finally be gone.

http://www.pakalertpress.com/2010/12/29/hopi-other-indian-prophecies/

329385-best-mayan-calendar-jokes-and-memes-people-find-end-of-the-world-funny.jpg

Nail meet hammer (posted this yesterday with the articles)

The Mayans had three calendars. 1 religious, 1 secular, and one called the Long Count (a simple counting of days). The long count calendar had dates written like 13.0.0.0.0. Except Mayans used hieroglyphics rather than numerals. Each number was a specific unit, and unlike say a decimal system, each unit rolled over at different intervals, like 19 for one and 13 for another, for example.

So as you can see, eventually you would run out of numbers to count the days. That happened today. They never said the world was ending and they even had larger units that could be added to the long count if needed. They simply didn't incorporate them into the calendar, because they had many years before it was an issue.

The Mayans had three calendars. 1 religious, 1 secular, and one called the Long Count (a simple counting of days). The long count calendar had dates written like 13.0.0.0.0. Except Mayans used hieroglyphics rather than numerals. Each number was a specific unit, and unlike say a decimal system, each unit rolled over at different intervals, like 19 for one and 13 for another, for example.

So as you can see, eventually you would run out of numbers to count the days. That happened today. They never said the world was ending and they even had larger units that could be added to the long count if needed. They simply didn't incorporate them into the calendar, because they had many years before it was an issue.

Kinda sounds like today is the Mayan's Y2K!

I guess you are right, having a debt that now exceeds our GNP is no big deal, that is if your head is in the sand. If interest rates go up, just what do you think will happen?

Poof and/or Puff the magic dragon. what will happen is we will still watch the jersey shore, American Idol and all 5 CSI shows, that's what will happen. oh and we'll get really good state run healthcare and we'll pay $6 for milk, $8 for gas and $30 for a cheap haircut. Oh sorry that's $30 before the inevitable haircut tax. Maybe it's time to flush our bullets too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom