Did We Learn Nothing from PSU Incident | Syracusefan.com

Did We Learn Nothing from PSU Incident

arbitragegls

All Conference
I am disappointed by the public outburst and statements of JB...and others. Until the truth comes out, it is best to say nothing. I am totally shocked by these accusations...but as being in business and legal arena of work...I have learned the hard way that the first thing to do is to keep quiet...not to react...because when you make a quick reaction to an incident you may further harm what you are trying to protect.

For example, JB stated he does not know this person--just a bit maybe. Never saw the person in Bernie's hotel room...accuser saying that for a number of years JB knew him; saw him around the program; saw him on team bus and saw him in Bernie's hotel room...whoa JB...please be quiet as your statements bring no clarity to the case and may implicate you in what you say as a defensive outburst for Bernie------yes Bernie may well be innocent...but the legal and moral process begins before you say anything...it does no one any good to comment that quickly...(look at JoePA--not saying this is the same--but being watchful is what needs to be done).

We do not want JB caught up in this alledged incident by someone of authority pointing out he must have known if he saw what accuser said. Accuser did not say anything about JB except to say he didnt say anything to him. That is great and is called in JBs defense if necessary, plausible deniability...JB be quiet. Let the process work its way through this ugly ordeal and then hopefully we are all relieved by Bernie's innocence.

I am disappointed by the public outburst and statements of JB...and others. Until the truth comes out, it is best to say nothing. I am totally shocked by these accusations...but as being in business and legal arena of work...I have learned the hard way that the first thing to do is to keep quiet...not to react...because when you make a quick reaction to an incident you may further harm what you are trying to protect.

For example, JB stated he does not know this person--just a bit maybe. Never saw the person in Bernie's hotel room...accuser saying that for a number of years JB knew him; saw him around the program; saw him on team bus and saw him in Bernie's hotel room...whoa JB...please be quiet as your statements bring no clarity to the case and may implicate you in what you say as a defensive outburst for Bernie------yes Bernie may well be innocent...but the legal and moral process begins before you say anything...it does no one any good to comment that quickly...(look at JoePA--not saying this is the same--but being watchful is what needs to be done).

I actually thought the VERY FIRST statement JB made was the he knew who the kid was????

This is what I was saying earlier. No matter what, don't say anything. Let the attorneys do the talking.

We do not want JB caught up in this alledged incident by someone of authority pointing out he must have known if he saw what accuser said. Accuser did not say anything about JB except to say he didnt say anything to him. That is great and is called in JBs defense if necessary, plausible deniability...JB be quiet. Let the process work its way through this ugly ordeal and then hopefully we are all relieved by Bernie's innocence.
JB is already caught up in it. If the accuser is not lying, then his career was over anyway. JB really has nothing to lose here by going on the offensive. He is not under investigation. The school investigated the incident in 2005. No one is covering anything up.

In fact here is the very first quote:

"I know this kid, but I never saw him in any rooms or anything," Boeheim told ESPN. "It is a bunch of a thousand lies that he has told. You don't think it is a little funny that his cousin (relative) is coming forward?
"He supplied four names to the university that would corroborate his story. None of them did ... there is only one side to this story. He is lying."

I could be totally wrong but I believe the first sentence JB says is something about knowing him. I'm not real smart though, does anyone else think the first sentence by JB says he knows Bobby???

Good point - letting that a$$clown Schwatz set the narrative all night and get public opinion totally against Syracuse would have been a much better way to handle the situation.

If it weren't for Boeheim's response last night, ESPN may still be reporting this story as fact and attempting to destroy SU. Since JB's statements, ESPN has backed off almost completely and Schwarz now sounds very timid.

BTW - first you say the accuser said JB saw him in Fine's hotel room. Then you say "Accuser did not say anything about JB except to say he didnt say anything to him." Which is it?

I think in many cases, this is the best response. But seeing how much the PR has turned in the favor of Syracuse since JB made his comments, I think it was a great move. I thought it was fairly obvious Shwartz and Davis made it appear JB should have known something was up, by some of the incidents, such as JB going into the hotel room, giving Davis a weird look as to why he was in there and on Fine's bed, but never saying anything. So I really don;t see anything wrong with what JB has said.

...there is no need to say anything...any words regardless of innocense can be used against u...

I think in many cases, this is the best response. But seeing how much the PR has turned in the favor of Syracuse since JB made his comments, I think it was a great move.

I thought it was fairly obvious Shwartz and Davis made it appear JB should have known something was up, by some of the incidents, such as JB going into the hotel room, giving Davis a weird look as to why he was in there and on Fine's bed, but never saying anything. So I really don;t see anything wrong with what JB has said.

Completely, 100% agree with the bolded statement above. Throw out the conventional PR wisdom involving diplomacy and not making declarative statements--JB's job, program, reputation, and legacy are on the line. Left unchecked, this is a scandal that could have taken root and resulted in the general public "deciding" that SU / Boeheim / Fine were guilty. This morning--today--right now--even the sports media is taking the report with a grain of salt based upon Boeheim's comments.

What Boeheim did took a lot of confidence, and I'm guessing that he felt comfortable b-slapping the accusation based upon extensive knowledge of the case, the "facts," and the outcomes of the 2005 investigation.

...there is no need to say anything...any words regardless of innocense can be used against u...
Are you a lawyer? What makes you think that Boeheim and Syracuse didn't run his comments by a lawyer first? As a previous poster mentioned, Boeheim taking to the airwaves has quieted ESPN and Schwartz and has, in my opinion, already started to turn the public tide. I don't think you can make a blanket statement that Boeheim and others have erred without knowing the facts. My guess is Boeheim, Gross, Cantor and all of SU's legal and PR team we're going a 100 miles an hour to figure out how to best handle the situation. I also bet Boeheim had guidance before speaking, but I could be wrong.

There was about as much chance of JB remaining silent as there was of AO making a foul shot. It's not his nature to take accusations lying down.

You obviously listened to Swartz on Mike and Mike and didn't actually read what JB said.

This is definitely the worst post since the story broke.

if SU, JB or Fine approaches you and asks that you serve as a consultant as they navigate this issue, please refuse the offer and lock yourself in a basement somewhere and dont resurface until it all blows over.

Thank you.

tristy, you are agreeing with me that JB and the university have done the right thing by coming out swinging, aren't you? I couldn't tell who you were talking to.

tristy, you are agreeing with me that JB and the university have done the right thing by coming out swinging, aren't you? I couldn't tell who you were talking to.

Abso-f*cking-lutely. I am speaking to arbitard.

You get every credible voice you can out there fighting back with every appendage they have. Again, yes - ESPN needs to be drowned out. But more importantly you need to beat back the stigma before it takes root. You need to come out and mock these two clowns (three if you count the espn douche) and attack their credibility. And I would get on NBC and FOX - competing sports networks - and state that the worst thing about ESPN's actions are that they are going to make it harder for real victims to speak out, and those victims are the real tragedy here. And that the Syracuse community is really hoping that ESPN re-evaluates its priorities whilst taking steps to fund charities for victims of sexual abuse.

I would attack everyone with everything.

It is not best to say nothing, not if you believe the allegations are untrue. "Evil flourishes when good men do nothing". Coach Boeheim needs to stick up for his long time good friend, no doubt about it in my book. Does anyone in the SU community have anything to say that might make the accusers story credible? Nothing I have heard or seen. The administration and the police will look into this again, and if it is true coach will burn. I have nothing credible to go on to make me believe there is a shred of truth is the accusers statements.

...it is best to wait 24 hours in a case like this inorder to survey damage and what needs to be done. I am hopeful that there is nothing here...I believe nothing is here...but as Mike T said on SVP show...you got to wait a period of time to determine what happened and did it happen...personally you should react...JB could have said he feels Bernie is innocent...and that is it...be careful what and how you say something because if one iota of what JB said becomes unfounded...then everything is in question.....I would recommend you all seek legal advice if you are in a situation like this or have any legal problems...before you make wide ranging statements.

I want Bernie to be as innocent of all charges...and expect that to be so...but there are also some very prominant people and defenders who will tell you to back off just a bit. Also, good men do not allow evil to thrive...but they certainly endeavor to find how to defeat evil before jumping into the frying pan...

...it is best to wait 24 hours in a case like this inorder to survey damage and what needs to be done. I am hopeful that there is nothing here...I believe nothing is here...but as Mike T said on SVP show...you got to wait a period of time to determine what happened and did it happen...personally you should react...JB could have said he feels Bernie is innocent...and that is it...be careful what and how you say something because if one iota of what JB said becomes unfounded...then everything is in question.....I would recommend you all seek legal advice if you are in a situation like this or have any legal problems...before you make wide ranging statements.

I want Bernie to be as innocent of all charges...and expect that to be so...but there are also some very prominant people and defenders who will tell you to back off just a bit. Also, good men do not allow evil to thrive...but they certainly endeavor to find how to defeat evil before jumping into the frying pan...

C'mon. Public perception is formed on these issues instantaneously. If he didn't do it then, Bernie's reputation would have been toast by noon. The police, DA's and other investigators in the judicial process have the liberty of time; people with reputations at stake don't.

Any ambiguous statement made by Jim would have fed into this. He called out at least one lie by the accuser and staked his reputation on this. Let the chips fall where they may, but at least Bernie has a shot in the court of public opinion now.

It's not legal but ask president Dukakis and President Kerry if it was best not to attack back after being attacked

but as being in business and legal arena of work...

Please tell me you don't work for my firm, both because of the substance of your post and because of your sentence structure.

I think Jim Boeheim handled it perfectly - he called bulls*** on the whole situation and immediately changed the narrative.

If what he said is what he thinks, and I think you can bet the ranch that it is, he did what he should have done. Ninety-nine percent of the people in his situation would have released some middling statement written by an attorney that a) said nothing, and b) left his friend hanging out there like a pinata.

The media reaction this morning was decidedly different than it was last night. (ABC News out of NYC took one hell of a half-assed swing at SU to lead the newscast last night. It was ugly and ill-informed.)

And Cantor's statement this morning was perfect as well.

JB isn't reacting, he is setting the agenda. It's not like this is all new to him.

arbitragegls said:
but as being in business and legal arena of work...​
Please tell me you don't work for my firm, both because of the substance of your post and because of your sentence structure.​

Wait, you work for the firm that supplies Mall Cops to the Carousel Center?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom