Did you hear the March Madness Joke? | Syracusefan.com

Did you hear the March Madness Joke?

Why would they name a gum Trident when it means three teeth?

Pitt did make a final four fdr was in office but they made it.
Well, UVa has been there at least twice--1981 with Ralph Sampson (Indiana won) and 1984, after Ralph left (Ewing won, with help from that model citizen, Michael Graham).

Pitt did make a final four fdr was in office but they made it.

True, in 1941. Am I the only one who thinks it is idiotic to credit teams with a "Final Four" prior to the 1951 tourney when it expanded to 16? How big of an accomplishment is it truly to win one game and then be in a "Final Four"?

Oh well, it is what it is.

Cheers,
Eeyore, er... Neil

True, in 1941. Am I the only one who thinks it is idiotic to credit teams with a "Final Four" prior to the 1951 tourney when it expanded to 16? How big of an accomplishment is it truly to win one game and then be in a "Final Four"?

Oh well, it is what it is.

Cheers,
Eeyore, er... Neil
Back in the 40's and early 50's the NIT in the Garden was the the tournament. The winner was considered the National Champion. The NCAA was almost an afterthought and, as a kid back then, I don't recall it drawing a lot of attention. Remember, there was no TV or media hype so playing in NYC in The Garden was a very big deal and where teams wanted to be. The biggest notice it ever received back then was the Kentucky point shaving scandal which certainly didn't add to its allure. The CCNY scandal in 1950-51 seriously damaged both the NIT's and the Garden's image. Press coverage had unsavory gamblers lurking in every smoke-filled corridor eager to prey on the players. The growth of TV and the NCAA's awakening of the monetary possibilities soon completely changed the landscape

I'll be recording for future reference the names of everyone who has the unmitigated bad taste to "Like" this post.

As a Syracuse grad and huge Orange fan that lives in Charlottesville, “I feel your pain” Hoo. I retired last year but still do a little consulting for the University of Virginia Health System so some of the local fandom and desire for their success is rubbing off. Still Syracuse to the bone but I feel for ya!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom