Different Subject - Chandler Jones year compared | Syracusefan.com

Different Subject - Chandler Jones year compared

texascpa

Living Legend
I am Denver Broncos fan, so I frequent orangemane.com often. Someone was doing a comparison of rookie defensive lineman specifically against Derek Wolfe (ex-Bearcat, drafted second round by the Broncos). What I found more interesting was Chandler Jones' stats against the other drafted linemen.

Dontari Poe - 38 tackles, lol round 1 (pick 11)
Fletcher cox - 39 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 1 ff, round 1 (pick 12)
michael brockers - 31 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 ff, round 1 (pick 14)
Bruce Irvin - 17 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 FF, round 1 (pick 15)
Quinton Coples - 30 tackles, 5.5 sacks, round 1 (pick 16)
Shea McClellin - 14 tackles, 2.5 sacks, round 1 (pick 19)
Chandler Jones - 45 tackles, 6 sacks, 3 FF, round 1 (pick 21)
Andre Branch - 12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, round 2
Kendall Reyes - 28 tackles, 5.5 sacks round 2
Jerel Worthy - 14 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, round 2
Devon Still - 14 tackles, .5 sacks 1 forced fumble, round 2
Olivier Vernon - 31 tackles, 3.5 sacks 1 ff, round 3
Mike Martin - 37 tackles, 3 sacks, round 3
John Hughes - 34 tackles 3 sacks, round 3
Akiem Hicks - 20 tackles, 1 forced fumble round 3
Frank Alexander - 18 tackles 2.5 sacks round 4
Jared Crick - 19 tackles round 4
Mike Daniels - 12 tackles 2 sacks round 4
Billy Winn - 26 tk 1 sack 1 int round 6
Greg Scruggs - 6 tackles 2 sacks round 7

Chandler has the most tackles and forced fumbles and second in sacks. I knew he was doing well, but he's been a star this year. Makes a lot of fans look silly who were panning his selection so high.

Chandler has the most tackles and forced fumbles and second in sacks. I knew he was doing well, but he's been a star this year. Makes a lot of fans look silly who were panning his selection so high.
I wouldn't call him a "star" so far. I'm a Pats fan, and when I watch I like to focus in on Chan (Wilfork draws my eye as well). While he has made impact plays this year and looked very good at times, he has also been swallowed up for large chunks of gametime. His injury and subsequent games after returning obviously didn't help much, but he needs to develop a bit more consistency to his game. He has also lost some snaps to Justin Francis as of late in 3rd down pass rushing situations, which worries me a little. However, after a full offseason with the Pats I think he will do big things moving forward.

Didn't Chandler miss a portion of the season due to injury? Maybe that was why he was rotated...

As for the op's post being out for x amount of games makes his numbers look even better.

I'm with Bnoro on Jones. I don't think he is a "Star" just yet. He's very good, and has a high ceiling, but he is yet to reach that "Star" status. Maybe a healthy season could change that.

okay, maybe star isn't the right word, but I think he's proved a lot of naysayers wrong.

Definitely a solid rookie campaign. He has a knack for getting to the QB despite that fact that at times, he seems limited in regards to his moves. That will change with experience, and I expect he will continue to improve. Maybe not a star yet, but seems to be one of the more sound draft picks this year.

Didn't Chandler miss a portion of the season due to injury? Maybe that was why he was rotated...

As for the op's post being out for x amount of games makes his numbers look even better.
I mentioned that. However, he shouldn't be coming out on passing downs because they are resting him for snaps. That's what worries me.

I wouldn't call him a "star" so far. I'm a Pats fan, and when I watch I like to focus in on Chan (Wilfork draws my eye as well). While he has made impact plays this year and looked very good at times, he has also been swallowed up for large chunks of gametime. His injury and subsequent games after returning obviously didn't help much, but he needs to develop a bit more consistency to his game. He has also lost some snaps to Justin Francis as of late in 3rd down pass rushing situations, which worries me a little. However, after a full offseason with the Pats I think he will do big things moving forward.

Injuries and inconsistency were what slowed him down at Syracuse. I'm not shocked that this is already an issue in the NFL as well. I'd be surprised if that ever changes.

I mentioned that. However, he shouldn't be coming out on passing downs because they are resting him for snaps. That's what worries me.

Just keeping him ready for when it counts. I would be bummed if he isn't one of the pass rushers though.

Just keeping him ready for when it counts. I would be bummed if he isn't one of the pass rushers though.
he does a good job of setting the edge. that's why belichick likes him so much.

he does a good job of setting the edge. that's why belichick likes him so much.

Gotcha, thanks. Still...with 6 sacks in a rookie year with missing some games if the next guy is actually better the Pats must have a helluva pass rush.

Stupid Red zone has made me lazy plus I don't stop having the shakes until the next morning. I feel like I drank 4 5 hour energies after watching it and I miss the interesting nuance of the games.

package the addition of chandler and steve gregory and the pat's got a hell of a deal.

package the addition of chandler and steve gregory and the pat's got a hell of a deal.

Really? Steve Gregory?

Forgive me, but i'm failing to see the spark that he has provided to the Pats.

Gregory had that game against the Jets... and has been essentially atrocious in every other game.

okay, maybe star isn't the right word, but I think he's proved a lot of naysayers wrong.

I was shocked he was drafted that high and remain surprised he's been as good as he's been. It's not that I didn't like him, I just never saw him as a pass-rusher at the next level. I suppose what this proves is that I know very little about football. Of course, that won't actually stop me from commenting as if I'm an expert.

12 games 3 picks and 2 ff's. cost...peanuts.
Like I said. The Jets game was where he got 1 of those picks and got both fumbles. Besides that his coverage has been shoddy, his tackling poor, his angles worse.

I was shocked he was drafted that high and remain surprised he's been as good as he's been. It's not that I didn't like him, I just never saw him as a pass-rusher at the next level. I suppose what this proves is that I know very little about football. Of course, that won't actually stop me from commenting as if I'm an expert.

You and me both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom