Digesting all the posts from today... | Syracusefan.com

Digesting all the posts from today...

cto

Administrator
1) We are a flawed team (isn't every team since Indiana in 1976 flawed in some way in that they were not perfect?).

2) We go as far as Scoop takes us (or, maybe it's CJ or Dion or KJ or maybe even Melo or Brandon -- depending on the game. We are not a one-man team).

3) We can't win because we can't rebound (in some games this year we rebounded very well. Who says we can't turn it on again).

4) We will lose because we don't play MCW enough (do you really think JB is playing to lose?).

5) We sucked today (at the end, the only time it counted, we covered what the "smart money" said we would do).

6) We've let too many "lesser" teams play us too close (have you been watching UK, KU, UNC, Duke, etc? All of their games were not exactly blowouts).

Okay, I have always been Pollyanna here, but I make no apologies for it. Yikes, guys. The glass really is half full.

Okay, I have always been Pollyanna here, but I make no apologies for it. Yikes, guys. The glass really is half full.
You're being kind CTO, the glass is full to the brim.

We are undefeated with our full lineup and have been winning games we normally lose. Two top ten teams lost this year where we won today. There are ups and downs to every season, why does everyone feel the need to make our ups seem like the end of the world. Relax and enjoy the ride its the best start in school history and the best start by any BE team.

Let's go Orange!

The constant hand wringing in first halves is getting annoying Joyce...

As others have surely commented, we knew we were better. Every time they got close we answered, and when we didn't score, we shut them down.

Why people complain about 10 point road victories is beyond me. We know what beats Syracuse. We've seen it over and over. 27-1. 27 and one by "winning the games we normally lose" We've won games being -17 rebounding and while shooting 1-13 and 1-15 from 3. That seems rather improbable doesn't it? But IMPROBABLE IS NOTHING!!!

We're going through the same swoon we go through many years from mid-January to mid-February. Only this year we are good enough that those loses in the past are this years uneven looking wins.

Sent from my DROIDX

Expectations are overblown because we are 27-1 while fighting UK for #1... This team does not have as much talent as UK and we need to realize that. We do however, have a team that causes turnovers while we rarely turn the ball over ourselves. We also have a HOF coach, great depth, a terrific zone and a knack for making plays when we need to. We have all the ingredients we need to make a final four (or better) run.

We're going through the same swoon we go through many years from mid-January to mid-February. Only this year we are good enough that those loses in the past are this years uneven looking wins.

Sent from my DROIDX

Yep. But, are the wins because we are good enough or because the Big East is down (relatively speaking compared to the past several years averaged)? Both, I think. Two or three years ago, we'd have a few more Ls on the belt right now. This issue is somewhat moot, I think, because CBB overall, not just the BE, is down in general.

Indiana - 1976. Good call.
I think that Rutgers was also undefeated for one season in the 60's. They did not win the NC.

I think that Rutgers was also undefeated for one season in the 60's. They did not win the NC.
That's because everyone knows Rutgers blows and always has.

It was 1976. Both Rutgers and Indiana were undefeated heading to the Final Four. Rutgers was 31-0 in the regular season and went 3-2 in the NCAA tournament, losing to Michigan in the semifinal & UCLA in the 3rd place game.

It was 1976. Both Rutgers and Indiana were undefeated heading to the Final Four. Rutgers was 31-0 in the regular season and went 3-2 in the NCAA tournament, losing to Michigan in the semifinal & UCLA in the 3rd place game.

Which makes Pitt's fans the last few years even funnier. Rutgers has more final 4's :eek:

Both Pitt and Rutgers are 4-10 :cool:

Really, the Big East does suck this year. Except Rutgers beat Florida :noidea: and the cup for that Flynn tbag...

1) We are a flawed team (isn't every team since Indiana in 1976 flawed in some way in that they were not perfect?).

2) We go as far as Scoop takes us (or, maybe it's CJ or Dion or KJ or maybe even Melo or Brandon -- depending on the game. We are not a one-man team).

3) We can't win because we can't rebound (in some games this year we rebounded very well. Who says we can't turn it on again).

4) We will lose because we don't play MCW enough (do you really think JB is playing to lose?).

5) We sucked today (at the end, the only time it counted, we covered what the "smart money" said we would do).

6) We've let too many "lesser" teams play us too close (have you been watching UK, KU, UNC, Duke, etc? All of their games were not exactly blowouts).

At the end of the day it may just be Rutgers, but Rutgers as bad as they are in our eyes, handled Florida (2nd in SEC), and Notre Dame (2nd in BE). In addition to owning UConn and Pitt. They've thrown up some seriously bad games, but when they're on they're clearly capable of putting together some good basketball. And we won on the road. It's a good day.

My only argument with this post, Joyce, is when you said, "The glass really is half full".

It's actually about 7/8 full! You and I lived through the period when SU was closer to 1-27 than 27-1, right?

What's sad is that we have alot of young posters who genuinely don't understand how rare (or how exceptional) 27-1 actually is. Rather than appreciating what this team is doing, they waste time arguing about an imaginary feud between JB and MCW.

The good time never last as long as you think...enjoy them while they're here.

As a long time fan, nobody is enjoying this season more than I. My problem with yesterdays game was watching players stand around and/or have a lack of effort that should have put them on the bench. Yes, we won a tight game thanks mainly to the terrific efforts of Scoop and CJ. Everyone can have an off game, but not seeing effort put forth drives me up the wall.

As a long time fan, nobody is enjoying this season more than I. My problem with yesterdays game was watching players stand around and/or have a lack of effort that should have put them on the bench. Yes, we won a tight game thanks mainly to the terrific efforts of Scoop and CJ. Everyone can have an off game, but not seeing effort put forth drives me up the wall.
many times there was no movement w/o the ball

CTO -- do you notice that JB, after a win, almost always says something like -- we have to get better? We can shoot better, we can rebound better, we can defend better. It isn't that we won that game, it's how we play and get better.

It is a matter of tone. Unlike posters, JB doesn't usually beat up on his guys (there are exceptions!) and he knows we have the talent to go deep. But, for sure, he wants Fab to rebound, he wants Dion to finish some plays, he wants BT to get some shots and make them.

To me the problem is that in college basketball people have been brainwashed into thinking the NCAA tourney is all that matters. I get why and, believe me, I'll be biting my nails off, screaming at the TV and some terrible combination of furious and miserable if they lose in the tourney this March.

But I also try to appreciate the regular season and BET as well. One of the reasons I'm a bit bummed to be heading to the ACC is that I truly love BE basketball. Such a good conference, so many good rivals and so many teams that I enjoy watching outside of the Cuse. It is really fun -- and people need to remind themselves of this -- to be 14-1 in conference play. It would be awesome to add another title in NYC if we're able to do that. And there are plenty of teams that would die to reach the sweet 16 as often as we have/do.

I hope we're able to make a final four run, but a single-elimination tournament often featuring funked up seeding is not the only measuring stick for a season. But I think many here are solely focused on that. And, to be fair, especially if the tourney is your sole focus, then yeah, this team is giving you some angst. Rebounding woes, poor shooting, occasional stretches craptastic halfcourt play -- not usually a recipe for postseason success.

It's funny, we all hear this, but the fact of the matter is we are 27-1 and had Fab been eligible for Notre Dame, we would be 28-0. So, as so many critics think, I guess we really do stink! It is a shame we have such a sucky team!

many times there was no movement w/o the ball

We are not a motion offense. We are pick and roll/drive and kickout or dish offense. Because of that, you will have 2 or 3 guys standing around.

There are, maybe, 6 or 7 goals in a season.
Win your pre-season tournament, ideally at MSG.
Win your conference's regular season title.
Destroy your principal rival(s)
Win the BET
Make the NCAA tournament
Reach the final four.
NC

When you are 27-1, and have several of these in hand, you get greedy.

My only argument with this post, Joyce, is when you said, "The glass really is half full".

It's actually about 7/8 full! You and I lived through the period when SU was closer to 1-27 than 27-1, right?

Technically, it's 27/28 full.

Sent from my DROIDX
You beat me to the punch. It is a long season, and it takes a lot out of players emotionally. This year, we are winning those swoon games.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

The constant hand wringing in first halves is getting annoying Joyce...

As others have surely commented, we knew we were better. Every time they got close we answered, and when we didn't score, we shut them down.

Why people complain about 10 point road victories is beyond me. We know what beats Syracuse. We've seen it over and over. 27-1. 27 and one by "winning the games we normally lose" We've won games being -17 rebounding and while shooting 1-13 and 1-15 from 3. That seems rather improbable doesn't it? But IMPROBABLE IS NOTHING!!!
I would prefer that SU score the first 10 points then play them even through the rest of the game. It would keep me from holding my breath when they are up 2 and the other team has the ball during the last 5 minutes. At my age I can only hold my breath for about 30 sec before I begin to gray out. If the other guys get an offenesive rebound I gasp and have a smaller breath to hold!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom