Dineen Hall Expansion? West side of Dome Expansion | Syracusefan.com

Dineen Hall Expansion? West side of Dome Expansion

jr4750

All American
This has possibly been discussed in the thread early this week regarding parking at the Dome. Someone proposed expanding the Dome and building an entry wing similar to what was done in Detroit for the Pistons. I just saw this map, where there is a potential addition to the west side for the Falk School. As well as a new parking garage being built for ESF. I guess that would limit the possibilities. Anyone have an idea what the Falk school addition would be? Seems cool, to put it onto the Dome. the school has a lot planned for the future.

See the third and sixth slide in this link...

http://www.law.syr.edu/dineen/images/dineen_hall.pdf

This has possibly been discussed in the thread early this week regarding parking at the Dome. Someone proposed expanding the Dome and building an entry wing similar to what was done in Detroit for the Pistons. I just saw this map, where there is a potential addition to the west side for the Falk School. As well as a new parking garage being built for ESF. I guess that would limit the possibilities. Anyone have an idea what the Falk school addition would be? Seems cool, to put it onto the Dome. the school has a lot planned for the future.

See the third and sixth slide in this link...

http://www.law.syr.edu/dineen/images/dineen_hall.pdf[/quote]

That was an idea at one time, but SU decided to consolidate the Falk School into MacNaughton and White when the law school moves out of them. That site plan is really outdated; the law school should be embarrassed to have a site plan that doesn't even show its own new building on the website for that new building (though one can't expect much better from a school that is significantly more disorganized than the athletic department).

So the Irving spot next to the Dome is still free for construction; I'd be happy to make a back-of-a-napkin sketch for them...

That was an idea at one time, but SU decided to consolidate the Falk School into MacNaughton and White when the law school moves out of them. That site plan is really outdated; the law school should be embarrassed to have a site plan that doesn't even show its own new building on the website for that new building (though one can't expect much better from a school that is significantly more disorganized than the athletic department).

So the Irving spot next to the Dome is still free for construction; I'd be happy to make a back-of-a-napkin sketch for them...

Thanks Otto, I was hoping you'd respond to this. Interesting to hear that they have an outdated plan put up on their website. Not only that, they tweeted the announcement to that out the other day, where this link was placed, so its not as if I found it buried in some old webpage. As of last week, they were promoting this pdf! I guess it makes sense to use existing infrastructure for the Falk school, but it would have been very cool to have created an entry way (glass facade on the West side of the Dome with David Falks name on it!

Thanks Otto, I was hoping you'd respond to this. Interesting to hear that they have an outdated plan put up on their website. Not only that, they tweeted the announcement to that out the other day, where this link was placed, so its not as if I found it buried in some old webpage. As of last week, they were promoting this pdf! I guess it makes sense to use existing infrastructure for the Falk school, but it would have been very cool to have created an entry way (glass facade on the West side of the Dome with David Falks name on it!

The law school is run by such yahoos; I'd better not even get started on that topic...it's like talking about officiating in college basketball.

I'll be interested to see how they reconfigure the two law buildings for Falk; the 1998 building (MacNaughton) isn't very well designed and the older one (White) is actually two buildings: a 1950s-era academic building that features a couple windowless lecture halls that are about 80 degrees, and a mid-'80s library addition. They're going to take a lot of work, I bet, but it'll still be cheaper than building something new on that steep hillside above Irving.

I'm a little skeptical that the Skytop stadium really comes to fruition; if it doesn't, that grand glass annex and entryway to the Dome could solve so many problems. It'd really bring the Dome - one of SU's greatest selling points - back to being a top-of-the-line facility.

The law school is run by such yahoos; I'd better not even get started on that topic...it's like talking about officiating in college basketball.

I'll be interested to see how they reconfigure the two law buildings for Falk; the 1998 building (MacNaughton) isn't very well designed and the older one (White) is actually two buildings: a 1950s-era academic building that features a couple windowless lecture halls that are about 80 degrees, and a mid-'80s library addition. They're going to take a lot of work, I bet, but it'll still be cheaper than building something new on that steep hillside above Irving.

I'm a little skeptical that the Skytop stadium really comes to fruition; if it doesn't, that grand glass annex and entryway to the Dome could solve so many problems. It'd really bring the Dome - one of SU's greatest selling points - back to being a top-of-the-line facility.

No question, I'm honestly shocked that they haven't considered that a much better option then trying to build a new stadium. There are so many projects that I have read about that have disappeared. You spoke last week of the welcome center issues with funding, but what of the new bookstore that was supposed to be built down from Whitman? Is that a funding snafu as well? Anything else actually ready to begin construction?

The logistical problem would be can the Dome host events while an annex is built. Most projects of this size take 12 - 18 months. Can they have basketball & football games while under construction? Because there isn't an alternate site locally.

The logistical problem would be can the Dome host events while an annex is built. Most projects of this size take 12 - 18 months. Can they have basketball & football games while under construction? Because there isn't an alternate site locally.

The Dome is a giant balloon that has to remain inflated.

What happens when you cut a hole in the side of a balloon?

In order to cut a hole in the side of the Dome, you'd have to deflate the roof, and you'd have a window of approx 3 months (May to August) to complete construction.

In order to cut a hole in the side of the Dome, you'd have to deflate the roof, and you'd have a window of approx 3 months (May to August) to complete construction.

I think that's how they'd have to do it. And then they'd either have to keep the annex pressurized or have air locks and revolving doors in between the current concourses and the expanded concourses. Tricky, but by no means as structurally difficult as expanding the building itself or as expensive and inefficient as building a new stadium on a greenfield.

jr4750, I haven't heard anything about the new bookstore in a few months. Last I heard, the developer (this is another SU leaseback arrangement) was lowballing the city on the terms of the PILOT. It's a shame they couldn't (or just didn't) coordinate the new bookstore construction and the reconstruction of University Avenue, but it is best for the city to get a fair deal out of this. It'd be best for all parties if SU didn't rely so heavily on the leasebacks with private developers (who universally put up cheap, ugly buildings that SU's probably going to want to tear down in 30 years when the lease expires), but I'm under the impression that the university isn't in a financial position to finance such projects on its own.

What Xtreme said about the deflation sounds reasonable; beyond that, it seems like a parcel that could be built upon without too much interruption. Maybe they'd have to close a couple of those gates during the construction period (which could be a hassle in terms of access). No impact on the field or the seating bowl, though.

I know there was a period in the mid-'90s when SU was talking somewhat seriously about building an annex. No idea about the particulars, though - probably was more of a two-story locker room and press building rather than the full-height thing we're thinking of.

You build the annex structure and enclosure and then you open up the wall between the two.

Is McNaughton and White the 2 buildings right next to the Dome where the pedestrian bridge is?

I think that's how they'd have to do it. And then they'd either have to keep the annex pressurized or have air locks and revolving doors in between the current concourses and the expanded concourses. Tricky, but by no means as structurally difficult as expanding the building itself or as expensive and inefficient as building a new stadium on a greenfield.

jr4750, I haven't heard anything about the new bookstore in a few months. Last I heard, the developer (this is another SU leaseback arrangement) was lowballing the city on the terms of the PILOT. It's a shame they couldn't (or just didn't) coordinate the new bookstore construction and the reconstruction of University Avenue, but it is best for the city to get a fair deal out of this. It'd be best for all parties if SU didn't rely so heavily on the leasebacks with private developers (who universally put up cheap, ugly buildings that SU's probably going to want to tear down in 30 years when the lease expires), but I'm under the impression that the university isn't in a financial position to finance such projects on its own.

I'm sorry, you said that last week. Thanks again!

You build the annex structure and enclosure and then you open up the wall between the two.
Exactly. I was going to say "It ain't rocket science" but maybe it is NASA.

Is McNaughton and White the 2 buildings right next to the Dome where the pedestrian bridge is?

Yep, the two long ones that are connected at the base.

Otto: are you going to the "opening" on graduation weekend? I might, if I am on campus. Always a danger to be hit up for more $$$

Otto: are you going to the "opening" on graduation weekend? I might, if I am on campus. Always a danger to be hit up for more $$$

I think I might, if only for the possibility of cake and/or drinks. Will definitely shy away from the folks soliciting gifts!

I think I might, if only for the possibility of cake and/or drinks. Will definitely shy away from the folks soliciting gifts!

Sounds like the kind of guy who makes my job so difficult :)