Dino's Game 10 Press Conference for NC State | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 10 Press Conference for NC State

Babers on his o-line against Louisville: "I thought they played a lot better than some people believed." Guys lost 1-on-1 battles in pass pro (Servais comes to mind). "I thought they did an OK job. We were decent." Reiterates public perception is probably too harsh.

Babers asked Floyd Little, who recently entered hospice care. "He's always been the bridge for me to the past of Syracuse." Remembers being a fly on the wall at a dinner with Floyd, Tom Coughlin and Larry Csonka. Dino's daughters call him "Uncle Floyd."

Babers said one of his daughters sent Floyd a care package while he was receiving treatment in Phoenix, Ariz.

Babers on final two games: "We're trying to win a football game. As people can tell, football can be a dangerous game if people don't know exactly what they're doing." Evaluation is an emphasis, too, but there's a cost to putting a bunch of young guys out there together.

Babers emphasizes that his team has done a "fantastic job" handling the coronavirus pandemic. "My hat goes off to Kent Syverud, John Wildhack and the players on this football team."

Babers on what he's learned from this unusual 2020 season: "We're 9 games in with a chance to go for 10. Everyone has done a remarkable job to make this season happen. The W's and L's haven't been what we wanted, but we have a chance to return in 2021 for one hell of a picnic."

Babers on QB JaCobian Morgan: "Really don't know yet. We really push this stuff -- I'm not making this up -- we really push this back to as late on Monday as possible because the longer they get to heal, the better the diagnosis is as possible."

Babers said the program took team pictures yesterday in the Carrier Dome. There will not be a senior walk or a pregame ceremony. Babers likes an idea from @DariusJoshuaTV to invite all the seniors back next year to walk/be honored with the 2021 outgoing class.

Babers on Kingsley Jonathan being nominated for the Jason Witten Man of the Year Award in College Football: "I'd love for Kingsley to return next year but knowing him he's got 2-3 jobs already lined up. He's not average, he's absolutely consistently good...or better."

Babers on how he views his offense in the ACC five years in: "You always aim to be green and good and not red and rotten. Our offense is still being played across the country and doing fantastic things. But you do need to adapt. Any good teacher has to be cutting edge."

Babers on the unknown entering 2021: "For us to be better in 2021 we need to have a real off-season, there's no doubt about that. With the vaccines, I'm hearing maybe things improve by March, late spring. Hopefully we can have something normal this spring."

Babers on if players were seeking to get the parents of seniors to be in the Dome on Saturday: "I'd love for you to take that up to Albany. Those young men are giving up so much, their parents are giving up so much to allow them to do this for us. It's a shame they can't watch."

Babers on if he knows how many will be playing their last games in the Dome on Saturday: "I can't talk about that, that's family stuff. But what a senior year. It's a really unselfish act by them and I really appreciate them."

Babers on this year being an *asterisk year: "It's a freebie. They get to come back and play again. I'm not sure how they look at it, but they get an extra year of school. Maybe it's a masters or a graduate degree. But the wins count and the losses count."

Babers on 2021 recruiting class: "You never know. Just like Sean Tucker and Hanna, even JaCobian, there's always guys where you're like, 'Eh, we'll see' and then they do something eye-opening when they get a chance to play as a freshman." Babers mentions Harris, Dungey, Coleman.

Babers on local RB Stevie Scott, who is starring at Indiana: "He looked us dead in the eye and said, 'Hey, I would do better outside this city.' And we respected that." Babers reiterates the staff wants to take NY guys as long as they fit the plan. "We always want to start close to home. We’re always going to stay close, because local is good and the state of New York is good to us. Anytime we miss on a guy in NY state, it hurts me deeply."

Babers is asked if he thinks it's unsafe for his young team to finish the season. "It's a fair, safe game. ... If you take care of it, the game will take care of you." His safety concerns at this point are only related to Covid-19.

Babers said the team hasn't sustained any career-ending injuries this year. How's that for a silver lining?

Babers said two of Syracuse's three quarterback injuries this year could've been prevented by the QB. Another came off a physical loss by another individual. My guess would be that one was JaCobian Morgan after RT Airon Servais got beat around the edge on Friday.

Last edited:
The questions that should have been asked:

What do you attribute your total lack of offensive production to? If it's not the offensive line, is it lack of QB experience? (a.k.a not being able to see the field properly, make the right reads or find an open receiver)? Is it wide receiver talent? Are they just not able to get open? Is it complete and utter failure of scheme? (A.k.a. you just aren't scheming properly to get primary targets open? Is it anything else?

Have you (or better yet, will you) begin to prep your QB's differently knowing that you haven't had a starting QB make it through an entire season since you have been here ...and that the issue extends back even farther than that?

Let's ask about the real issues here and get it out in the open, because what we are getting on the field every Saturday from the "offense" is absolutely unacceptable

I know he does not want to throw the offensive line down but I am not sure you can say they did better than people think. Not sure you can say that when your qb gets injured and knocked out of the game.

I know he does not want to throw the offensive line down but I am not sure you can say they did better than people think. Not sure you can say that when your qb gets injured and knocked out of the game.
That’s being to generous to the hit. I felt the hit all the way in Florida. Morgan got steamrolled by that kid

Babers on how he views his offense in the ACC five years in: "You always aim to be green and good and not red and rotten. Our offense is still being played across the country and doing fantastic things. But you do need to adapt. Any good teacher has to be cutting edge."

Hes honestly full of it. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ALREADY.

Yeah Re: the oline, I'm not sure how he can say "I thought they did an OK job. We were decent" and have 137 total yards and 0 points against a bad 2-6 team? I get beating your guys up in a press conference doesnt do any good, but making statements like that is just plain silly and makes the fans think he's disconnected with reality.

Hes honestly full of it. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ALREADY.
His Ohana is soiling his pants

Babers said two of Syracuse's three quarterback injuries this year could've been prevented by the QB. Another came off a physical loss by another individual. My guess would be that one was JaCobian Morgan after RT Airon Servais got beat around the edge on Friday.

Uh oh, did he just blame... never mind. ;)

Agree. They ask about everything except football. Is it a requirement to ask Covid questions for us to pat ourselves on the back every single week?

Well - it is clearly the one thing we do at an elite level.

Given what’s happening all over - yeah, they do deserve credit and praise for that.

When so many other P5 programs are postponing or cancelling games right and left?

Why not.

Why does it all have to focus on all the negatives, of which we are all excruciatingly well aware?
Because it's very repetitive and adds no insight. Would rather hear about Football from the Football coach

When so many other P5 programs are postponing or cancelling games right and left?

Why not.

Why does it all have to focus on all the negatives, of which we are all excruciatingly well aware?

no one gives a damn that we were able to play ever week and get crushed. I’d rather we miss half our games and win once in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom