Dinosaur Bar-B-Que rated No. 2 BBQ 'chain' in America | Syracusefan.com

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que rated No. 2 BBQ 'chain' in America

Impressive. I hope the south doesn't get mad at the Yankees for invading their territory. Of course, we've seen that before...

Not a fan of Jim n Nicks outside of their cheese biscuits. Dinosaur easily trumps Jim n Nicks on atmosphere and the BBQ itself is superior. Haven't tried everything on the list but it kind of bums me out to see Dinosaur being labeled as a chain.

I will try Jim and Nicks again next week when I'm in Birmingham. I have eaten their a few times it good but not better than Dinosaurs.

I'm a big fan of Dickey's BBQ. Yellow cup ftw.
I'll eat it at a Dickey's if my only other options are a fast food joint. I don't consider them in the same league as Dino.

Smokey Bones should make the top-10 jerky joints ... cheap cuts cooked to cardboard and generously salted.
I've had BBQ all over the country (Texas, Kansas City, North Carolina, etc.), and I think Dinosaur absolutely stands up to any of them in terms of quality.
Same here. I haven't been to Memphis or Austin, but I have been to Kansas, Missouri, North Carolina, Arkansas, Alabama, Texas and I haven't been in a place yet that outclasses Dino.

I'll eat it at a Dickey's if my only other options are a fast food joint. I don't consider them in the same league as Dino.

Smokey Bones should make the top-10 jerky joints ... cheap cuts cooked to cardboard and generously salted.

Same here. I haven't been to Memphis or Austin, but I have been to Kansas, Missouri, North Carolina, Arkansas, Alabama, Texas and I haven't been in a place yet that outclasses Dino.

They are few and far between... but Austin has at least 3. Granted, they arent "chains". Dino crushes all the Austin chains, imo... Smokey Moe's, Pokey Jo's (cant make this up), Rudys and Dickeys all here.

But... Salt Lick, Franklin's, La Bbq, John Mueller... all top notch. La Bbq is my favorite. and its a truck.

Oklahoma Joe's, Jack Stack, Arthur Bryant's in KC are better than Dinosaur.

The Bar-B-Q Shop, Central BBQ in Memphis are better than Dinosaur.

Those are THE only places I have had that are better. Those are locks. Dinosaur is very very good.

4 Rivers is really good. It's the only chain type place I've been to that compares to the Dinosaur.

I have a Jim n Nicks and Dickeys 2 minutes from my house along with a Chic Fil A.

First year down south and trying to get back on point for the summer.. The struggle is real.

I have a Jim n Nicks and Dickeys 2 minutes from my house along with a Chic Fil A.

First year down south and trying to get back on point for the summer.. The struggle is real.
You know, come to think of it, the house I just moved to is also just a few minutes from a Chic Fil A and a Dickey's, along with some other eateries that appeal to me, and yeah... pros and cons.

Love Dino but don't think it is as good as 10 years ago.

Having Dino BBQ tonight as a matter of fact at an event.

i was working in batavia a couple summers back and i'll say the center street smokehouse served one of the better briskets i ever tasted. dino is always great . like the atmosphere. lots of opinions around this country on what is the best sauce (vinegar/tomato/mustard) but i gotta say i love me a slow smoked boston butt!

Last edited:
Not a fan of Jim n Nicks outside of their cheese biscuits. Dinosaur easily trumps Jim n Nicks on atmosphere and the BBQ itself is superior. Haven't tried everything on the list but it kind of bums me out to see Dinosaur being labeled as a chain.
I ate at a Jim n Nicks when I was down at the final 4. The sweet tea and cheese biscuits were good and the pulled pork potato thing was okay but the atmosphere felt like a Cracker Barrell. I left feeling full and gross but not in a good way, more like leaving a Chinese buffet.

Like any chain, an individual restaurant depends on how good its' management is. Our local Jim n Nicks is consistent in it's quality and service. Both are good. Better than Dino? I guess everyone has their own preference when it comes to BBQ.

OrangeSky said:
Which item do you like best at Dino?

I know it's more than one but for me it is the mac salad, cornbread and deviled eggs.

rrlbees said:
Love Dino but don't think it is as good as 10 years ago.

Having Dino BBQ tonight as a matter of fact at an event.

Agreed for sure.

Actually heading there tomorrow for a buddy's birthday.

OrangeSky said:
Which item do you like best at Dino?

Eating the hot peppers from the table jar.

Fried green tomatoes as an app (and favorite overall).

Big ass pork plate as a meal. (Porksket sandwich is up there too)

Cornbread and chilli with cheese as sides.

And of course Ape Hangers for beverages.