Dion has canceled his remaining predraft stuff | Syracusefan.com

Dion has canceled his remaining predraft stuff

jekelish

Living Legend
No more workouts or interviews. Yahoo reporting he's been made a promise by a team picking high in the draft.

No more workouts or interviews. Yahoo reporting he's been made a promise by a team picking high in the draft.
Get it in writing. (See Green, Donte)

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Risky. Wonder how high? Has to be lottery obviously

"Syracuse guard Dion Waiters has canceled all meetings and workouts for NBA teams prior to the June 28 draft, according to Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports.

The belief is that Waiters has a guarantee from a team with a high draft pick, so he's shutting it down. There have been concerns about his character recently, but it sounds like he's going to be taken in the lottery."

Brent Axe just tweeted Ben Turner to get the scoop.

https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/210841056978288640

Great for him. I haven't been this intrigued by an SU player's prospective NBA career since Carmelo. I can't wait to watch.

Both Toronto and New Orleans are apparently interested in trading the picks for veteran talent. A veteran that has often been rumoured in trades is Andre Iguodala.

The promise could very well be from Philadelphia via another team... i.e. Toronto at #8 or New Orleans at #10, have promised to pick Waiters who will be subsequently be traded for Iguodala. Waiters would then up in Philly -- a reason he may have been open to a promise.

My second guess is Portland at #11. He may like the fit and the situation.

"Syracuse guard Dion Waiters has canceled all meetings and workouts for NBA teams prior to the June 28 draft, according to Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports.

The belief is that Waiters has a guarantee from a team with a high draft pick, so he's shutting it down. There have been concerns about his character recently, but it sounds like he's going to be taken in the lottery."

Were there questions about his attitude after he interviewed with teams? His attitude seemed to improve ten fold this year; so I wonder if those "concerns" were from his freshman year or if they were from his interviews.

I'm not normally one to jump on this sort of issue, but really? What exactly are these issues people keep bringing up? At any point during his soph. season were there any complaints? The man is going to be a lottery pick and came off the bench during his time here. You know easy it would have been to complain?

I hope Dion gets drafted by a suitable team and absolutely shows everyone why he was drafted where he was. The man can ball, we all know it, and soon everyone else will too.

I want this to be true because I want Dion to make money. But I also don't want it to be true as I'd rather have him go to a good team (similar to Kawhi Leonard).

44cuse

I hope Dion gets drafted by a suitable team and absolutely shows everyone why he was drafted where he was. The man can ball, we all know it, and soon everyone else will too.
not all of us . . . I remain doubtful that his abilities will translate at the next level

why not work out for teams with higher picks? what if the team that promised him trades its pick?

not all of us . . . I remain doubtful that his abilities will translate at the next level
I respect your opinion Moqui, but I really think that he brings a lot to the table. If Wesley Matthews can be a very good pro, no reason Dion can't.

I think it's pretty interesting that in a draft that's supposed to be wide open beyond the top 7 or so (whatever the order ends up being behind Davis), a team feels confident enough that Waiters will be available to make that promise.

Why does this work? Presumably, a team is doing this so other teams don't "discover" Waiters. But won't shutting him down send a signal out to everyone?

even if he ends up dropping a bit, i can see where his camp realizes that workouts aren't going to change dion's stock at this point. why jump through hoops, he is what he is.

I thought I read somewhere recently something like there HAD been character concerns about Dion over the stuff last year. But he really seems to have matured (that's crazy, people mature from how they are when they're 18 years old? I had no idea) since then so maybe this is just old news?

Oh well, another SU guy we will never get to see on a national game. Dion in Toronto for his first 3 seasons..

If anybody cares ...

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider
Dion Waiters 6' 2.5" socks 6' 4" shoes and 6' 7.35" wing 8' 2" reach

NBA Draft Combine starting on the U right now. Something to keep you occupied until Euro 2012 starts. How many SU guys are playing here again?

Talking Waiters, who of course left yesterday:

Fran: Arguably best guard in draft, runs the pick and roll very well, great move for Dion and his agent. Mid-lottery pick.
Katz: Dion biggest story of combine so far.

I respect your opinion Moqui, but I really think that he brings a lot to the table. If Wesley Matthews can be a very good pro, no reason Dion can't.

What did Wesley Matthews do at Marquette that Paul Harris didn't do at SU? They were practically the same player at the collegiate level. Now one has a $30 mill contract and the other plays in the Philippines.

I have no answer for this rhetorical question but it shows how much of a crap shoot the NBA is for these fringe players. Landing in the right situation is so crucial to long-term success.

Also Chad Ford tweeted last night that the Blazers, Raptors and Suns were all suspects for giving Dion the guarantee.

It makes sense for Waiters to cancel the rest of his workouts because his agent is Rob Pelinka, who represents Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Eric Gordon and James Harden. It's extremely doubtful a team would break a promise to one of Pelinka's clients.

There should be a follow-up documentary of the Michigan Fab Five team. Crazy how much success those guys plus Pelinka have had off the court too.

Unrelated to Dion, has there been any word on how Kris has done, or have the SF's not really done much yet? What's the word on his measurements, how he's performed, etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom