Dion Waiter's legacy | Syracusefan.com

Dion Waiter's legacy

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
It's a foregone conclusion that Dion is headed for the NBA draft. Good for him. It would be my wish that he get drafted in the first round at the very top but I don't think that is going to happen.

Dion has been compared to Dwayne Wade.

His first year Wade had to sit out as a Prop 48, remember those days?

In his second year (first as a player) Wade averaged 17 PPG and led his conference with 2.7 steals per game.

His stayed for a another year where he averaged 21 PPG.

In the NCAA tournament upset of Kentucky he scored 29 points grabbed 11 rebounds and had 11 assists. That was only the 3rd triple double in NCAA history. He was named MVP of the Midwest region.

He left for the draft that season and went #5 in the LeBron, Melo year.

In retrospect he should have been taken #2.

His two years of accomplishments were such, that four years after he left and after only two seasons of play at Marquette they retired his jersey.

Dion's first year at Syracuse was a contentious one. He found himself in the Jim Boeheim doghouse, mainly due to immaturity issues. He averaged 6.6 ppg in 16 mpg.

During the 2011-2012 season, a new Dion emerged along with a game that wowed even veteran sportscaster's. He back slid when Fab Melo sat out a three game suspension. Even after Fab came back Waiter's struggled to regain his form. For the season he averaged 12.6 ppg in 24.1 mpg.

Eventually Dion began to play better and had some more memorable moments.

In the Big East tournament there were those 18 & 28 point performance against UConn & Cincinnati.

During the NCAA's Waiter's had 12 against UNCA, 18 against K State, 13 versus Wisconsin
and in his last appearance as an Orangeman 9 points in 20 minutes before fouling out. He had four fouls with about 13 minutes to play in that foul fest where 49 calls were made.

Dion never did become Dwayne Wade, but he showed glimpses. Another year of polish, perhaps a year of starting might have been enough to elevate his game to near Wade status.

We'll never know.

Will he ever have his jersey retired? I don't think so?

All that that we know is Dion Waiter's had the potential to be great here....glimpses are what we are left with.

Good luck Dion!

Dion Waiters and Chandler Jones will have similar legacies. Both are impressive physical specimens with good stats, but no real accomplishments to make them stand out at SU. To be considered with the all-time greats, each needed to stick around and lead the team to a higher level. (Yes, higher than 30 regular season wins and the elite eight).

Dions best years are ahead of him because he still hasnt reached his ceiling. i dont think he made the wrong decision , hes gonna get paid and wont have any more academics to worry about, just 100% basketball.

Dion Waiters and Chandler Jones will have similar legacies. Both are impressive physical specimens with good stats, but no real accomplishments to make them stand out at SU. To be considered with the all-time greats, each needed to stick around and lead the team to a higher level. (Yes, higher than 30 regular season wins and the elite eight).

I feel like you typed that up not thinking about the 30 wins, then added parenthesis to make it seem like you meant that all along.

Dion DID bring this team to a higher level. He wasn't the only reason, but he was a part of something special. Your argument does not make too much sense.

In my opinion his problem is not enough games. If he decided to stay one more year, Dion is going down with the big boys in Syracuse history. When you have your best players coming from low income areas, they will bypass college as quick as possible for big money (there are exceptions but think this might be a little economic quirk of NBA/NCAA athletics).

I feel like you typed that up not thinking about the 30 wins, then added parenthesis to make it seem like you meant that all along.

Dion DID bring this team to a higher level. He wasn't the only reason, but he was a part of something special. Your argument does not make too much sense.

In my opinion his problem is not enough games. If he decided to stay one more year, Dion is going down with the big boys in Syracuse history. When you have your best players coming from low income areas, they will bypass college as quick as possible for big money (there are exceptions but think this might be a little economic quirk of NBA/NCAA athletics).
Thank you for your agreement! That's the whole point of this thread. We know Dion is very talented, but he doesn't stand with the big boys of SU basketball because he just gave us a glimpse of his potential without taking us anywhere special (i.e. at least a final four). A special player is one you can hitch your wagon to and ride to a championship. John Wallace, though not as talented as Dion, accomplished more in that regard.

Dion, Jonny Flynn, Billy Edlin, Dynasty Greene, etc. We'll never know just how good they could have been. Speculate all you want, they were just a comet and not a star in Syracuse BB history.

He is making the wrong choice IMO. One year as a 20 + per game starter would earn him a lottery pick, guaranteed cash, and more commitment from the team that picks him.

Still, it is a good decision. He will still stick in the nba. He just won't make as much money.

He leaves as one of my favorite Orangemen. Lot of heart. Lot of hustle. I wish we recruited more like him.

For Dion to be remembered amongst the greats this team would've had to at least play for the title and he would've had to have a great game win or lose ala Wallace in '96 or he would've had to stay longer and put together a dominant season.

Think of the guys we all remember. Wallace was a good but not great until his senior year, and the tournament run with the shot against Georgia and the 29 and 10 in the final against UK solidified his legacy. Pearl was special for the three years he was here and gave us memories in big games against great teams that'll never be forgotten. Douglas left as the all time NCAA leader in assists and the schools all time leading scorer etc. Stevie Thompson had to worry about hitting his head on the roof of the Dome and is still the best fast break finisher in school history. The original DC left as the NCAA modern era leader in rebounds and took over the scoring record from Douglas. Owens was the first player to average over 20/game under JB and was part of legendary games along with Douglas, Thompson, and Coleman against the Mourning/Motumbo GTown teams during the height of the Big East and prior to their decline. Poetry in Moten was an over achiever that somehow was a great scorer without ever being a great shooter or even a good jumper and left as the Big East's all time leading scorer. Carmello had the magical year. GMac had the 6 threes in the first half of the NC game, the 43 against BYU, and the Big East tourney run. Hak dunked on everyone (my favorite is the flat footed one against ND).

I wish Dion the best of luck and I hope he has a great career in the league, but when we talk legacy his will always have an incomplete in my mind similar to Flynn.

As many have said already, he wasn't around long enough to have a great legacy here. Something that we have been, and will continue to, see more and more of as our recruiting has stepped up a great deal the past 5 years.

I believe players should be less concerned about being a lottery pick and more concerned about landing in a good situation. As long as a player is in the first round going to a good organization is the next most important thing, and since the better organizations are generally in the second half of the first round than landing there is usually better than in the lottery. The reason is simple the value and importance of the second contract far out weights the value of the first contract. A prime example of this is Jonny Flynn vs Ty Lawson many people had Lawson a head of Flynn in draft position up until the June work outs, but Flynn out performed Lawson and went to the Wolves at #6 while Lawson went to Denver @ 18 to play for a coach the runs a system perfect for his skill set. As a result Lawson will likely get a much larger second contract than Flynn will. If Dion goes to Boston or Chicago or Pacer's I'll take it regardless of draft position.

He is making the wrong choice IMO. One year as a 20 + per game starter would earn him a lottery pick, guaranteed cash, and more commitment from the team that picks him.

Still, it is a good decision. He will still stick in the nba. He just won't make as much money.

He leaves as one of my favorite Orangemen. Lot of heart. Lot of hustle. I wish we recruited more like him.

He grew up a lot before our eyes. He has AI's alpha-dog attitude and confidence. He let that get in the way of his progression his first year. He matured a lot during the offseason, both physically and emotionally, and swallowed his pride like few I've seen before. He still has the tools and confidence to succeed in the league, and now has proof that he doesn't need to be the top dog, but could be. It's a rare treat to watch one of our boys grow up and contribute like he did.

It's a foregone conclusion that Dion is headed for the NBA draft. Good for him. It would be my wish that he get drafted in the first round at the very top but I don't think that is going to happen.

Dion has been compared to Dwayne Wade.

His first year Wade had to sit out as a Prop 48, remember those days?

In his second year (first as a player) Wade averaged 17 PPG and led his conference with 2.7 steals per game.

His stayed for a another year where he averaged 21 PPG.

In the NCAA tournament upset of Kentucky he scored 29 points grabbed 11 rebounds and had 11 assists. That was only the 3rd triple double in NCAA history. He was named MVP of the Midwest region.

He left for the draft that season and went #5 in the LeBron, Melo year.

In retrospect he should have been taken #2.

His two years of accomplishments were such, that four years after he left and after only two seasons of play at Marquette they retired his jersey.

Dion's first year at Syracuse was a contentious one. He found himself in the Jim Boeheim doghouse, mainly due to immaturity issues. He averaged 6.6 ppg in 16 mpg.

During the 2011-2012 season, a new Dion emerged along with a game that wowed even veteran sportscaster's. He back slid when Fab Melo sat out a three game suspension. Even after Fab came back Waiter's struggled to regain his form. For the season he averaged 12.6 ppg in 24.1 mpg.

Eventually Dion began to play better and had some more memorable moments.

In the Big East tournament there were those 18 & 28 point performance against UConn & Cincinnati.

During the NCAA's Waiter's had 12 against UNCA, 18 against K State, 13 versus Wisconsin
and in his last appearance as an Orangeman 9 points in 20 minutes before fouling out. He had four fouls with about 13 minutes to play in that foul fest where 49 calls were made.

Dion never did become Dwayne Wade, but he showed glimpses. Another year of polish, perhaps a year of starting might have been enough to elevate his game to near Wade status.

We'll never know.

Will he ever have his jersey retired? I don't think so?

All that that we know is Dion Waiter's had the potential to be great here....glimpses are what we are left with.

Good luck Dion!
By and large, the days of legacies are over unless a player leads us to a title, ala Melo, or at least to a FF.

Unless, there is a title or at least that FF run, there will be no legacy for a one or a two year player no matter how good. Anybody who stays four years in this day and age, ala Scoop, Kris, or Andy, might have a very nice career. However, those types simply lack the legacy level talent of a Bing, DC, Billy, Pearl, Sherm, or Melo, etc.

Going forward, I think "legacy" type of players will be few and far between. Legacy's will now be measured in titles and/or FFs, not in terms of individual career statistics. Think back to Melo, the real one, would he be considered a legacy player if we had not got to the FF or won that title ?? I suspect not. he would have just been viewed as a better Donte Greene.

20 years from now we'll say "Dion Waiters...he was fun to watch that year."

That's his legacy.

Lot of heart. Lot of hustle. I wish we recruited more like him.

I agree. Both on the assessment of Dion and wanting more kids like him. Who else would you put in this category? Devo obviously. But who else?

44cuse

Just because he's jumping to the league doesn't mean he's leaving without any history here. Two years ago, Dion was a coaching headache and defensive liability. One year later, he lead the BE in steels on the way to a school-record 29-1 regular season ... becoming an explosive offensive threat off the bench that was unrivaled in college hoops.

Maybe it wasn't a final four appearance (we lost our starting center). And no Dion doesn't have 4 years of stats' to compare to the guys from the 80's and 90's. But these days, we're lucky to have talent like his for 2 years and without him, we don't make it out of the second round this year.

I agree. Both on the assessment of Dion and wanting more kids like him. Who else would you put in this category? Devo obviously. But who else?

44cuse

Jason hart, maybe. They are few and far between at Syracuse.

It seems like other top schools get lots of these types of players.

Helluva player, and like it has been said. Would have gone down as an all-time great had he stayed for 2 more years.

His swag will always likely be unmatched. Nothing like watching Dion bring down the hammer!

Jason hart, maybe. They are few and far between at Syracuse.

It seems like other top schools get lots of these types of players.

Totally agreed. It does seem like the SU guys do not have the same heart/hustle. My least favorite SU teams of all time were the TROB/Mookie teams. But, TROB miught have had a little of that in him.

It's passive instead of assertive. Would you put Hop in that category?

Agree on JHart.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom