Dion's shooting struggles continue | Syracusefan.com

Dion's shooting struggles continue

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
11747089-large.jpg

Waiters was 4 of 14 from the field Tuesday had three rebounds & 2 assist in 31 minutes.

It was his third straight poor shooting performance.

From the Cleveland Plain Dealer

"Waiters, the No. 4 pick in the draft out of Syracuse, has been up and down, but the 20-year-old has shown enough good signs that he’s still battling Miles for the starting shooting guard spot.

Waiters is averaging 8.0 points on .360 shooting. He’s shown the ability to get to the hole and also been a surprisingly good defender and passer, but his jumper has been inconsistent and he’s struggled when the ball has not been in his hands.

Waiters is almost certain to be the starting shooting guard at some point this season, so Scott must weigh immediately throwing him in the fire and letting him suffer some ups and downs vs. bringing him along slowly."

Here Dion talks to the media after Tuesday's game
Box Score

I don't think his shooting will remain that low but isn't that the player they thought they were getting because it's what many of us thought he is.

he's shooting poorly because he's being asked to play defrnse. when he gets rid of tavern syndrome it will improve

he's shooting poorly because he's being asked to play defrnse. when he gets rid of tavern syndrome it will improve

So the article says Dion has looked solid defensively (how can that be, igor?) but you somehow attribute his poor shooting to his defense? You're really something.

So, JB knew Dion couldn't play man AND shoot, so he stayed zone. GREAT coaching, working towards your players' strengths and hiding their weaknesses. Hid Dion's weakness so well he was the #4 pick. Proves why he is in the HOF.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I expect Dion will have a career much like at cuse. A year to figure things out, with some ups and downs and then be ready and more mature to take on all the rigors in year 2.

He was always a streaky shooter. Now the 3s are from even further out, that has to be a huge adjustment. Lot to ask of a kid to step in and start from Day 1. On most NBA teams he wouldn't even be in the conversation for starting.

If I was a Cavs fan I would more concerned with my PG shooting 21 time and having 2 assist!

:crazy:

He has terrible shooting technique and will be asked to shoot a lot more than he did here. He simply doesn't have the speed to just blow by NBA wings. I always thought "a little Dion goes a long way" and JB used him perfectly, imo.

I can't see him being much better than a 43% guy from the field.

I have some trouble understanding why any NBA freshman would be expected to do any better than he did in his last year at the previous level. We never hear much about Steve Nash's rookie year - or that of hundreds of others, heh.

I did alright with girls in 8th grade, but my first year in high school? Let's just say my shot selection was off in that new world.