Disney to acquire Fox regional networks including YES | Syracusefan.com

Disney to acquire Fox regional networks including YES

Actually could be a saviour for conferences like the AAC and CUSA.

Actually could be a saviour for conferences like the AAC and CUSA.

How so? Wouldn’t it be one less suitor bidding on the AAC’s next tv deal which they are currently shopping?

How so? Wouldn’t it be one less suitor bidding on the AAC’s next tv deal which they are currently shopping?
Those leagues don't have the panache to rate a national conference network but their non national games could be seen on a few RSNs.

Those leagues don't have the panache to rate a national conference network but their non national games could be seen on a few RSNs.
I think these conference crave money more than anything and I don’t think this will help them.

I think these conference crave money more than anything and I don’t think this will help them.
Yes...but exposure is vitally important. FOX will create a vacuum but someone else will come in:. Amazon, Google, etc... they are swimming in money

Yes...but exposure is vitally important. FOX will create a vacuum but someone else will come in:. Amazon, Google, etc... they are swimming in money

The AAC gets decent exposure now. I think the ever widening gap in money is their biggest concern but time will tell. The AAC would be a relatively cheap venture capital project for Amazon and Google to see if they want to go for one of the big dog conferences the next go around.

Simpsons in 1998 predicted this.
DRAcJHQUEAAvunD

Gotta love the following:

1. ESPN cut staff, BIG TIME! Parent company buys competitor for $52.4 Billion. Irony, or were the salaries really that big? (I have maintained that Disney was just trimming fat, enhancing their profit margins. This deal will allow them much more power to do so)
2. ESPN/Fox proved there is a lot of money still to be had by the conferences with the B1G deals they made.
3. The B1G will now be all-in (not just a part of, or independent from) with the same conglomerate that their biggest competitors are in. The B1G was originally a Fox property, then the B1G split their package between the two big boys, now it is under the same aegis they fought so long against - ESPN (and Fox).
4. This effectively brings the P5 together under one umbrella (The PACN has deals with Fox and ESPN). Could we see the P5 negotiate the next deal as a unit, along the lines of the professional sports leagues?
5. Could the G5 negotiate a deal as one unit?

This assumes the deal is not blocked by SEC (government agency, not athletic conference) or other government agency or party.

1. ESPN cut staff, BIG TIME! Parent company buys competitor for $52.4 Billion. Irony, or were the salaries really that big? (I have maintained that Disney was just trimming fat, enhancing their profit margins. This deal will allow them much more power to do so)
2. ESPN/Fox proved there is a lot of money still to be had by the conferences with the B1G deals they made.
3. The B1G will now be all-in (not just a part of, or independent from) with the same conglomerate that their biggest competitors are in. The B1G was originally a Fox property, then the B1G split their package between the two big boys, now it is under the same aegis they fought so long against - ESPN (and Fox).
4. This effectively brings the P5 together under one umbrella (The PACN has deals with Fox and ESPN). Could we see the P5 negotiate the next deal as a unit, along the lines of the professional sports leagues?

This assumes the deal is not blocked by SEC (government agency, not athletic conference) or other government agency or party.

1. No correlation. The acquisition is a stock deal, not cash. The layoffs were most likely to address high SG&A margins. All companies do it. Mine does it about every 2-3 years.

It would be great if ESPN cemented Syracuse's New Yorkness by bundling ACC north content w/ YES.
If only SU had someone in administration with the right connections to make that happen. If only...

Your points #4 and #5 are very interesting thoughts and definitely ideas I hadn't contemplated yet. I think they definitely garner their own thread for discussion.

{snip}

Your points #4 and #5 are very interesting thoughts and definitely ideas I hadn't contemplated yet. I think they definitely garner their own thread for discussion.
I don't think #4 happens because there are conferences still looking to snatch schools away from the others and they won't do anything they think that will keep the potential victim conferences afloat. I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that the Big XII has given up on getting Clemson and FSU or that the B1G has given up on getting UVa, UNC-CHeat, and/or Ga Tech, or that the ACC has given up on offering Texas the same deal we gave to ND. As I've said on numerous occasions, one of our board gurus who should be in a position to know insists the ACC offered Texas the ND deal before it was offered to ND. If it's offered again, it won't be turned down.