Class of 2024 - DL Omar White (GA) Visited for Spring Game | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 DL Omar White (GA) Visited for Spring Game

I think the implication is that it is very convenient that the witness has recanted, so someone intervened somehow.

Is it???? Because the “witness” was the victim

Isn’t it possible that the victim just had bad blood at that time with this young man and lied about it?

First off, even if we believe the recant is legit vs being coerced/payoff etc., is the kid even academically eligible with all the legal stuff he has had to work through? I know the student part of student-athlete is laughable these days but SU still has academic requirements. That would be an interesting part of this too. I don’t know how to feel about bringing him in, it just seems so risky for a first year head coach who has done so many positive things thus far.

Happens all the time. Some of the naivete here is so cute.

Assuming to know what happened one way or another is not cute.

To have an opinion on how you feel about said player in a position like this is understandable. I would assume Coach has a better understanding of the situation from the kid and his parents as well as high school coach and I would imagine the school.

To have a bit of a past doesn't always determine your future. Good luck to the kid either way.

Last edited:
Assuming to know what happened one way or another is note cute.

To have an opinion on how you feel about said player in a position like this is understandable. I would assume Coach has a better understanding of the situation from the kid and his parents as well as high school coach and I would imagine the school.

To have a bit of a past doesn't always determine your future. Good luck to the kid either way.
As I said before we have too many want to be judges on this board.
None of us were there or know any of the people involved.

As I said before we have too many want to be judges on this board.
None of us were there or know any of the people involved.
Maybe but we have also too many people who will twist themselves into a pretzel to justify taking a very talented player. You are correct that we don’t know the exact circumstances but it is fair to say both that and the rationalization part too

Maybe but we have also too many people who will twist themselves into a pretzel to justify taking a very talented player. You are correct that we don’t know the exact circumstances but it is fair to say both that and the rationalization part too
Taking the player is up to the University, and the coaching staff, and whatever they decide is fine with me.

Taking the player is up to the University, and the coaching staff, and whatever they decide is fine with me.
Yeah I am not going to make a moral judgement in this case if that happens but I do have concerns for both student/teammate safety and team chemistry(in that order) even if they do.

Is it???? Because the “witness” was the victim

Isn’t it possible that the victim just had bad blood at that time with this young man and lied about it?
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

That being said, if Fran is building a program where character is one of his most important pieces, you don't recruit guys like this.

If he is exonerated and the person that was shot first hand claims he wasn't there or involved, that does change things for me. So if the staff does their due diligence and they think he is worth the risk, then I'm ok with it. It's on them to manage it and make sure he doesn't become an anchor on the team/culture based on his past. But if they feel they're up to it and can alter this young man's life in a positive direction then I'm on board.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

That being said, if Fran is building a program where character is one of his most important pieces, you don't recruit guys like this.
Guys like what? I think the point is we don't know the circumstances or the kid. Maybe you're right, he's a bad kid with a bad attitude and a violent temper. I don't know and I have no evidence to say otherwise. Maybe he was a dumb kid who learned not to be around bad people and has truly grown. I don't know, no evidence against that either. What I DO have is people I trust who do know these things who are near to the kid. So until Fran, Nick and the rest of the staff prove that my faith in them is misguided, I'll roll with whatever they decide.

One other thought that makes me trust Fran in this spot. I would be very surprised and confused if the same coach that kicked a very talented DL off campus with a nice "Adios" for being rude to staff would then also allow what he felt to be a potentially explosive powder keg and locker room cancer of a talented DL on the team just weeks later.

One other thought that makes me trust Fran in this spot. I would be very surprised and confused if the same coach that kicked a very talented DL off campus with a nice "Adios" for being rude to staff would then also allow what he felt to be a potentially explosive powder keg and locker room cancer of a talented DL on the team just weeks later.

Exactly