DM interviewed at Tenn.? | Syracusefan.com

DM interviewed at Tenn.?

xc84

Living Legend
http://www.cnycentral.com/sports/story.aspx?id=844913#.UOwxgfLhfTo

Maybe old news...but Conley mentions Marrone having been interviewed by Tenn. in Dec. and then Gross coming to Marrone with an updated contract. (go to about 1:15 in the interview)

Not that it matters now...but interesting. And given Conley's relationships with staff and players, I would think he might have had some inside information...not just reacting to rumors.

Imagine the meltdown on this board if he went to another school instead of the NFL. Yikes.

How the hell did they keep that quiet? I can't believe it didn't leak in Tenn or here.

I don't think that is what he was saying. Looks like he was saying Gross gave him a new contract when it was rumored that he would interview at Tennessee. Conley isn't the easiest to understand, but I think he said "rumors that he'd interview" not "rumors that he interviewed"

The first minute of that interview was awkward. It was as if someone was yelling "look at the camera, chin up!" to Niko.

Given where his wife is from, why would this surprise anyone?

Now that he is gone...I never posted this, but I was told by a source in early December that Marrone was on his way to Tennessee for many of the reasons speculated on this board.

1. Snow job, nonsense.

2. Is the program in better shape than it was when he got here?

Hey I'm happy we're not being muttered in the same breath as UB anymore, but the guy was a duplicitous cork sucker from the sound of it.

http://www.cnycentral.com/sports/story.aspx?id=844913#.UOwxgfLhfTo

Maybe old news...but Conley mentions Marrone having been interviewed by Tenn. in Dec. and then Gross coming to Marrone with an updated contract. (go to about 1:15 in the interview)

Not that it matters now...but interesting. And given Conley's relationships with staff and players, I would think he might have had some inside information...not just reacting to rumors.

As I said in my post early in the week - Marrone would have been receptive to another college job had the NFL not worked out.

Interesting but to be honest I'm moving on from Marrone. I'm sure we'll find out he's not all gumdrops and lollipops as no one is and X amount of people will be coming out with all kinds of tidbits a lot of us didn't know about. He did a good job here and I thank him for it but that said I'm sure he had some skeletons in the closet as well.

He clearly wasn't happy for lots of reasons. Time to move on.

Excited about the future with Shafer and Hackett remaining on by all accounts. To be honest, while he has valid reasons for complaining about the facilities and everything else, it just generally seems like he was unhappy here, for whatever reason. Wish him much happiness in Buffalo but there are sometimes people who are unhappy wherever they are and think they will find it somewhere else. Often, they do not.

"dream job"
In his Buffalo presser he said it was his dream to restore the tradition of Syracuse football, he didn't do it to the extent that most of us would have liked but I think the program will continue to move up and exceed in the ACC.

In his Buffalo presser he said it was his dream to restore the tradition of Syracuse football, he didn't do it to the extent that most of us would have liked but I think the program will continue to move up and exceed in the ACC.
I think he fell short. I have said it in multiple ways on other threads but picture this statement in his "dream job" speech at the dome after he was hired. "I have a goal! And that goal is to get this team to a minor bowl and I will not rest until we get there!"

That may have silenced the crowd.

as for the criticism, i think a lot of ex college players who want to coach have a dream to coach for their old team. i think many people on this board would have that dream. i don't think it is far fetched that he that he truly dreamed of coaching for his school.

yes it's true and if look back in the archives we had some give and takes on it as it was cryptically referred to by those of us who heard this. We were trying to soften the blow if you read back there. Don't know who soured on who first and given the wifes from there it's the one school he could've got a pass on if he did indeed go there.

As I said in my post early in the week - Marrone would have been receptive to another college job had the NFL not worked out.

Thoughts on Scott Shafer as a head coach and the choice versus the likely field? Tx.

1. Snow job, nonsense.

2. Is the program in better shape than it was when he got here?
Sure is. And just using your post as a platform for my reply, but we all need to read the subtext again, which I don't want to get lost in the "Marrone is a liar!" hysteria.

Marrone is a very good coach. He's an NFL head coach, with more than one team interested in him. He worked his butt off to resurrect a dead football program at his beloved alma mater. And as plain as day, there are real problems with the Syracuse football program right now that lower its ceiling, and which mean he would have been wasting his time if he had stayed any longer.

Now that he is gone...I never posted this, but I was told by a source in early December that Marrone was on his way to Tennessee for many of the reasons speculated on this board.
I had heard the same...Heard he met with them 4 times......