Do internships count as jobs? | Syracusefan.com

Do internships count as jobs?

SBU72

All Conference
Some majors for some schools require internships as part of the graduation requirements. So can a b-ball scholrship guy work a summer intership and get paid for it if is a reuirement?

Some majors for some schools require internships as part of the graduation requirements. So can a b-ball scholrship guy work a summer intership and get paid for it if is a reuirement?

Good question. My son is required to do an internship and he gets paid. What if he played college ball?

I'm not sure there is actually an NCAA prohibition on holding employment. I think there are just a lot of rules around ensuring that the athlete is being paid for actual work and paid at a rate that is the "going rate" for that type of work. Also can't have anything to do with his/her athletic ability or publicity for the employer based on the identity of the athlete.

I suspect that most schools don't want athletes working during the academic year because the time commitment associated with their sport doesn't leave much time for academics, much less employment and academics.

Last edited:
I'm not sure there is actually an NCAA prohibition on holding employment. I think there are just a lot of rules around ensuring that the athlete is being paid for actual work and paid at a rate that is the "going rate" for that type of work. Also can't have anything to do with his/her athletic ability or publicity for the employer based on the identity of the athlete.

I suspect that most schools don't want athletes working during the academic year because the time commitment associated with their sport doesn't leave much time for academics, much less employment and academics.
So a phys-ed student can't practice teach? Or maybe get an internship at a gym or he Y? What happens if said b-ball player with a phys-ed major is asked to instruct kids on how to dribble and shoot or ref a game? Very fine point I know. Also at least half interships are dyring the summer so don't neccessarily interfer with a season but would prevent summer session attendence.

Do NCAA work rules only apply to football and basketball or all atheletic scholarship students?

I think if it is for school credit you can't get paid (besides stuff like per diem for food). If you do get paid, it's a job even if you call it an Internship. Either would count towards the graduation requirement though if approved by the Internship office.

I would imagine the athletes would need the credits and go the unpaid route.

I think if it is for school credit you can't get paid (besides stuff like per diem for food). If you do get paid, it's a job even if you call it an Internship. Either would count towards the graduation requirement though if approved by the Internship office.

I would imagine the athletes would need the credits and go the unpaid route.

That’s not true. My son got paid for his required internship and it counts for school credit.

Hak interned at the bookstore

That’s not true. My son got paid for his required internship and it counts for school credit.

I got paid pretty well during my internship that counted for school credit. Easy A too.

I very well could be wrong, or it could have changed. Was the rule if it is for credit, you still have to pay for the credits?

I am not going to name names... but a lot of athletes are selling shoes on social media. Is that legal?

I very well could be wrong, or it could have changed. Was the rule if it is for credit, you still have to pay for the credits?

I can probably look to see if I paid for my credits. But my internship was in summer of 2006 and I def got an A for it. I believe it was even 3 credits. I made $15 an hour which was pretty decent money.

I confirmed that my "supervised internship" was 3 credits and I had a "flat course fee" which was a lot higher than my other classes. But it doesnt show how much it was per credit hour. I assume the same.

My son at RIT, was required to do 2 summer internships which he got paid really well. Now he has to take a class in connection with those internships for credit.

Believe the law changed or was re-interpreted in 2010 that increased the risk that a business would be seen more as an employer than an educator. To mitigate risk most started paying interns. Wish it were retroactive to about 40 years ago...

Intern or Employee? The New Federal Test | New York Law Journal

Believe the law changed or was re-interpreted in 2010 that increased the risk that a business would be seen more as an employer than an educator. To mitigate risk most started paying interns. Wish it were retroactive to about 40 years ago...

Intern or Employee? The New Federal Test | New York Law Journal

But even so, I was paid during my internship for credits in 2006. It was never the case that you werent allowed to get paid if they were for school credits which was the original question. It was just "optional" to the "employer"

I got paid pretty well during my internship that counted for school credit. Easy A too.

I don’t know what’s different, but my son is required for his Whitman degree to have an internship of 120 hours minimum and it’s Pass/Fail not graded and it’s 0 credits and no cost.

I don't know. Some internships are unpaid. I had to do clinicals when I was finishing school. I had to pay for the class associated with the clinicals and was not paid. I suppose that's healthcare though.

Do NCAA work rules only apply to football and basketball or all atheletic scholarship students?
I believe it's all scholarship athletes, but people only pay real attention to football and basketball since they're the most visible and have the highest stakes. It's much more unlikely that a Colgate booster is going to turn in SU for a violation by a field hockey player than it is for a Texas booster to turn in Oklahoma for a violation by a football player (just to create random examples).

I am not going to name names... but a lot of athletes are selling shoes on social media. Is that legal?

If it theirs and not from the school, yes. If they are promoting a business or selling something that was given to them by the school, no.