Dodging a Bullet | Syracusefan.com

Dodging a Bullet

Townie72

All American
Here we are again after a painful loss. Wailing, complaining, opining and coming up with off-the-wall suggestions like Carey needing more minutes as a solution.

Who knows if JB and team will figure this out before we run out of season. Anyone who says they know —- and for sure some will try —- is in my humble opinion FOS.

But as I watched the team gamely try and crawl out of that huge hole last night, I thought, “Can you imagine where this team would be if Tyus Battle had not opted to return?”

Now some will say, “Well, others would have “stepped up”

To which I say, That’s most likely a fantasy.” there’s no shortage of those on here.

So, Solve for “x in this famous, but adapted, JB quote.

“Without Tyus Battle we don’t win “x” ’n games, not “x”!

Here we are again after a painful loss. Wailing, complaining, opining and coming up with off-the-wall suggestions like Carey needing more minutes as a solution.

Who knows if JB and team will figure this out before we run out of season. Anyone who says they know —- and for sure some will try —- is in my humble opinion FOS.

But as I watched the team gamely try and crawl out of that huge hole last night, I thought, “Can you imagine where this team would be if Tyus Battle had not opted to return?”

To which I say, That’s most likely a fantasy.” there’s no shortage of those on here.

I'm ok with the wailing, it is Bob Marley's birthday after all.

You always bash the bashers, but now you're bashing everyone but Tyus and Coach B.

Welcome to the dark side, Luke.

But I’m not blaming anybody. This isn’t an invitation to bash the players.

Instead, it might be interesting just to roll the concept of this team without Battle in your head. And we came very close to experiencing that.

There’s no certainty in basketball. Recruits don’t come. Players don’t improve. Kids jump to the NBA or even the “G” league, on a good night only 40% of three’s fall.

We would. Be screwed without tyus. Not sure this team is going anywhere great but without him we would be at the.bottom of the league.

While I'm certainly glad Tyus is here, the fact is that JB has been replacing players for years. I remember people wondering how he would ever replace Louie and Bouie. if we didn't have Battle, we might see Hughes in that sport and Dolezaj playing full-time, which might have aided in his development. or we might have seen Carey in that spot and that could have helped in his development.

X is the Roman numeral for 10.

you don't know. you can't ever know. tyus is a stud.an SU hero. but who knows who might have stepped up.

How have they “stepped up” with him? Or do you think there’s some sort of additional gear they have?

it's called minutes. the ball in your hands. players come and go. don't know who'll step it up next year.

it's called minutes. the ball in your hands. players come and go. don't know who'll step it up next year.

The question is about this year. Not next year, but this year,

next year is always built upon this year. that's the reason we were ranked so high. returning starters.

How have they “stepped up” with him? Or do you think there’s some sort of additional gear they have?

He takes over 27% of the team's shots.
Those shots would be available for the other players. That's how they step up.

We'd be an NIT caliber team. Prolly finish a game or two over .500.

Carey would be better by default. Turnover prone, but also with a handful of 20 point games.

Hughes would play more SG. Marek would shoot more.

The defense wouldn't fall off much.

Yeah, this year, it’s hard to say we’d have 10-12 wins without Tyus to this point. Which is scary. I think adjustments will be made for next year.

On the bright side.. Buddy looks like the second coming of Andy and a year early. Braswell, in limited minutes shows promise offensively. Hughes can be the volume scorer we’ll miss in Tyus. Oshae’s slowly starting to get it back it seems. And, though no one wants to hear it, Jalen did show what he’s capable of vs Uconn. Perhaps he’s figuring out how to exist in the doghouse.