Does anyone else get the feeling this team lacks basketball IQ? | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone else get the feeling this team lacks basketball IQ?

mgurtz79

Walk On
I feel like we lack basketball IQ from our veterans and that works its way through the team. They kept trying to throw the back line alleyoop but it never worked, at some point after 2-3 turnovers without success it's time to move on.

In terms of individual players...

James Southerland is key for this team because he stretches the floor but the fact that he shoots at least two 35-foot three's each is stupid, and on the rare pump fake he takes a step in and takes a long two, which any stat person will tell you is the worst shot you can take. He seems to be out of place in the zone alot since he has been back, and did anyone doubt that when he got that steal in the open court that it was going to be a charge?

The announcer for Georgetown said it well, if Triche hits one and is hot he keeps firing, but he also keeps firing if he is not and the reality is he should be driving to the lane more. On top of that he seems to pick up charges because he just runs like a bull in a china shop. He lacks finesse.

We all know Carter-Williams struggles, both with shot selection and teams not respecting his jump shot, but much like Triche sometimes he just storms in and throws stuff up.

And as for Christmas/Keita, they are what they are. Neither has every really done much offensively, unless they pick and roll and get alley oops, or the occasional stickback. I understand the frustration from the potential we see from Christmas, but after a while he is what he is. I don't think the engine will start this year (or soon for that matter).

I reiterate we need all guys to play well to go far in this tournament (and while not likely I belive it is possible), but that needs to start with smarter play. I feel like compared to past teams, this one just isn't a smart basketball team