Does Gbinije split time 50/50 at guard/forward next year? | Syracusefan.com

Does Gbinije split time 50/50 at guard/forward next year?

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
At guard we have: Joseph, Cooney, Patterson

At forward we have: McCullough, Roberson, BJ

Looking at this objectively, I think it is reasonable to consider Gbinije the first option off the bench for both the guard and forward spots next year (depending on specific game need)

I think he starts & gets most of his minutes at SF, with TR's ability to play both forward spots making him this year's version of superstar 6th man

Patterson is the third guard; BJ gets Mookie Jones minutes.

Is it so unreasonable to think he could start at guard?

Uncertainty at guard as well as forwards. Only 1 of the 6 with significant playing time is Coooooooooooney. Beyond that, it's really hard to predict where he will be needed most. The good news is that he can handle the ball well enough to spell PG minutes and that he's had some rare spots playing forward in the zone. He'll go where he's needed, and I don't think that question can be answered now. A lot of youth and I love how much talent we have that one or more of these underclassman will step up. Someone always does. At least one of my three sons will shock the world.

It doesn't matter who starts, but if Rak,DC and Mike G are playing extended minutes at the same time we will be offensively inept. I'm tired of watching 46 pt. nailbiters. Mike is versatile and should come off the bench. Let's not get carried away with what some players bring to the table.

Positions are meaningless. If he starts, who cares whether it's technically for guard or forward. Other than the effect of other personnel (if he's in at forward, Roberson likely on the bench, if he's in at guard, cooney/Joseph likely on the bench).

When nova played four guys under 6'4", was Allen Ray and Randy Foye the starting forwards? Of course not. They were all guards.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Gbinije being better used defensively at guard for alittle ball pressure, and offensively at sf for his dribble drive and occasional jumper.

I think he starts & gets most of his minutes at SF, with TR's ability to play both forward spots making him this year's version of superstar 6th man

Patterson is the third guard; BJ gets Mookie Jones minutes.
I doubt we start our backup PG at SF, especially when we don't know what we will get from Joseph.

As for the question from the OP: I think Gbinije's minutes will be determined by who is more game ready Joseph or Roberson/McCullough.

IMO I think we will be better off if he is playing most of his minutes at guard.

I was not impressed with Mike's defense or rebounding as a forward this season and think it would be unfair, unnecessary, and detrimental to his development to shift him back to that position yet again.

To recap:

2012: playing the 3 for Duke.
2013: working out at the 2 while redshirting for Syracuse.
summer 2013: working out at the 1 while preparing for the season.
2014: playing the 1 and the 2 (and occasionally the 3).
2015: playing the 3? I hope not. It's not a position of need; Boeheim doesn't want more than 3 forwards and I can't think of anything Mike can do that B.J., Roberson, and McCullough couldn't do better. Just give the kid some stability and let him continue to progress at this (still new) guard position. Hopefully shoot a little bit, work on the slashing game he showed at times against Dayton, and defend like a terror up top.

I was not impressed with Mike's defense or rebounding as a forward this season and think it would be unfair, unnecessary, and detrimental to his development to shift him back to that position yet again.

To recap:

2012: playing the 3 for Duke.
2013: working out at the 2 while redshirting for Syracuse.
summer 2013: working out at the 1 while preparing for the season.
2014: playing the 1 and the 2 (and occasionally the 3).
2015: playing the 3? I hope not. It's not a position of need; Boeheim doesn't want more than 3 forwards and I can't think of anything Mike can do that B.J., Roberson, and McCullough couldn't do better. Just give the kid some stability and let him continue to progress at this (still new) guard position. Hopefully shoot a little bit, work on the slashing game he showed at times against Dayton, and defend like a terror up top.
he was playing the 1 in practice while redshirting

Garbs said:
I doubt we start our backup PG at SF, especially when we don't know what we will get from Joseph. As for the question from the OP: I think Gbinije's minutes will be determined by who is more game ready Joseph or Roberson/McCullough. IMO I think we will be better off if he is playing most of his minutes at guard.

May be out necessity. I'm not sold yet on our forwards.

May be out necessity. I'm not sold yet on our forwards.
That's part of my point, we have questions at PG and forward, so probably best to have Gbinije come off the bench.