Does the Big East have ANY cache left at this point? | Syracusefan.com

Does the Big East have ANY cache left at this point?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
With Syracuse, Pitt, and now, seemingly, West Virginia leaving, is the Big East any kind of draw any longer? The BCS bid is going to be gone. Absolutely gone. So I ask...why would the likes of Navy, Boise, and even Temple want on this plummeting ship?

I guess what I am trying to say is...what needs to happen for the conference to disband and us to be "out" next year? How bad does it need to get? Does ESPN need to pull its contract? Does the BCS bid need to be officially pulled?

Is there a road to official disbandment of the football conference BEFORE 2012-2013? Would it take another defection (Louisville)?

It really shows who the big boys in the conference were and who the piss ants were.

I know the BCS bid is guaranteed until 2013. However at this point, the BCS really needs to take a hard look at the teams that are going to be left in this conference.

Nothing says New Years Day like watching UCF play in the Fiesta Bowl...

It really shows who the big boys in the conference were and who the piss ants were.

yep the original 3, as stated by so many repeatedley, time and time again... Proof is in the pudding

One of my favorite quotes from the Rutgers board right now:
"Why do you think Rutgers does not fit in the ACC? I know there is a good chance that RU does not get into the ACC for the reason that the conference may not see the benefit of expanding to 16 at this time. that in no way is a reflection on Rutgers."

This is exactly a reflection on Rutgers. You'd think the reality of their irrelevance would finally sink in.

yep the original 3, as stated by so many repeatedley, time and time again... Proof is in the pudding

Storrs and Rutgers fans could never grasp the concept that Syracuse, Pitt and WVU had history and cache when it comes to college football and were the only three programs in the BE that could ever win a national championship in football.

I personally still think that UConn fits the ACC if they want to go that route. Exceptional hoops program. Respectable football program, that is in theory, on the rise. I hope they make it into the ACC.

"Why do you think Rutgers does not fit in the ACC? I know there is a good chance that RU does not get into the ACC for the reason that the conference may not see the benefit of expanding to 16 at this time. that in no way is a reflection on Rutgers."

This is exactly a reflection on Rutgers. You'd think the reality of their irrelevance would finally sink in.

Classic case of "Read the last part of what you wrote... now read it again. Do you see it yet?"

They don't seem to get that if they were so valuable to the ACC, they'd be in the ACC already, not one of those stupid 'brand' schools like SU or Pitt.

Storrs and Rutgers fans could never grasp the concept that Syracuse, Pitt and WVU had history and cache when it comes to college football and were the only three programs in the BE that could ever win a national championship in football.

Exactly right. We tried over and over to clue our little brothers into who the big boys of the conference were, despite some horrendous football years by said big boys (specifically us). They continued to harp about TV ratings, and markets, and potential. Unfortunately for them, they forgot about the importance of brand. We have it, they don't.

CFB will move on just fine thank you very much without a BCS team in the shadows of NYC. Tim Pernetti better be in South Bend kissing Jack Swarbrick's a** as we speak. That seems to be their only hope at this point.

CFB will move on just fine thank you very much without a BCS team in the shadows of NYC.

If L.A. can go without a NFL franchise then NYC will love a winning Syracuse football team just outside the shadow.

The only hope the Big East has at this point is if the BCS and the major networks see some value in a BE/MWC/CUSA alliance where the overall winner gets an auto bid. It alleviates a number of problems if you think about - haves vs. have nots argument against the BCS, now the VAST majority of schools have autobid access; having to give more than one autobid to "lesser" conferences; and Bowl revenue for the Big 5 conferences remains largely intact since you have 1 school out of a pool of 32 getting autobid status.

For the Big East this is the best case scenario at this point- you avoid having to align internally with too many questionable schools (it gives the Big East the ability to form an 8 team division of schools of a demographic it wants rather than having to force 12 and picking schools it really doesn't desire), it retains the autobid access to the BCS, it allows the BE to potentially salvage it's ND relationship, and it allows the BE to still function as an All Sports conference under it's current configuration, while only have to replace 3 schools.

There is no great scenario for the Big East at this point but the MWC/CUSA/BE alliance is the best one of the rotten bunch and makes the most sense.

I keep praying Rutgers ends up in Conference USA or worse.

I know the BCS bid is guaranteed until 2013. However at this point, the BCS really needs to take a hard look at the teams that are going to be left in this conference.

Nothing says New Years Day like watching UCF play in the Fiesta Bowl...
New Years day was killed by the BCS. they usually play the Championship and some of the other BCS bowls after New Years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom