Does the college basketball season start too early? | Syracusefan.com

Does the college basketball season start too early?

Eric15

Living Legend
I was just perusing the OrangeHoops website, and in the 80s/90s we often didn't play our first game until around Thanksgiving weekend. It has steadily creeped up over the past few years. I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years the regular season started in late October.

I tend to be more of a quality over quantity person, but I'm just curious if people like the earlier start, or if they think it's stretching out the season unnecessarily long.

We need it as early as possible this year lol. We need optimism in one of our major sports teams. Please basketball provide this for us.

I think we have an ugly rock fight .500 ACC season. Won't be pretty and there will by sky is falling moments on here.

I also think we can clinch a bid to the Dance with a win at the Dome on November 6th. Beat UVA and a 13/14 loss team should still get in. So bring on the early start this year.

I can't watch regular season NBA so I like the long college season and the ups and downs. Just wish we could have a really good team again. But it is what it is. And I think next year will be that kind of year.

The sport is irrelevant nationally till March.
It’s a regional sport till then.
So whatever can get interest is fine by me.

Yeah but its not that irrelevant.

I bet a Big East game on FS1 gets equal ratings to NHL Network or NBA TV games. Big Monday ratings can't be much off what ESPN gets for Friday night NBA.

The networks are no longer trying to hype the sport either early on. The 24 hour marathon is a thing of the past. I used to love the non conference schedule but all the schools are too cowardly to travel to each others barns and want to play in empty gyms in the Virgin Islands and Bahamas. And the main culprits are programs like us. Even Duke/UK/MSU/KU who play that opener every year play a better NC schedule than the we serve up.

Too early. And (as always) the powers-that-be are undermining their "best interests of the student-athlete" claims by a) moving up the start of practice and b) moving up the start of the season in chase of the almighty dollar.

If not a one-semester sport, it should be close to it. As recently as 2003-2004 we started at Thanksgiving (the Plavich game). I don't see any appeal to this shift. Though it's necessary given the super-conference trend. If you think the quality of play is crappy now (it is), you'd hate to see them playing a denser schedule with these longer road trips.

January to May would work fine. Get it done before the NBA Conference finals.

All college sports should be entirely withing one semester or another, (or during holidays, reaks etc.). Players can hit the books in the other semester. Basketball should begin in January and end with may madness. We should play North Florida when it's snowing and Duke when the birds are chirping.