does the extra practice change who the 2013 starting qb is? | Syracusefan.com

does the extra practice change who the 2013 starting qb is?

Millhouse

Living Legend
pointless question because who can know what the plan is. helps us no matter what

Agreed that it helps us no matter what. You would hope that Hunt, Kinder, and the ridiculously good-looking one would all get snaps to prepare them for the Spring - when the real competition will take place.

I think it might. The biggest beneficiary is Hunt, what with missing spring practice already.

If the QB isn't Allen (or Wilson as a darkhorse), next year's starter will be at least 15 practices better, whatever that's worth.

Those extra practices hopefully pay dividends for guys like MacFarlane, Lewis, Cornelius, Morris, Parris, the big uglies, etc.

Agreed that it helps us no matter what. You would hope that Hunt, Kinder, and the ridiculously good-looking one would all get snaps to prepare them for the Spring - when the real competition will take place.
Agreed, the bowl game gives the QBs already on the roster 15 extra practices to learn the offense, impress the staff, etc. Just makes it harder for the true frosh to come in and win the job. The one thing the true frosh have going for them is both are expected in enroll in January.

Makes for what could be the most interesting spring for SU football in a long time. The battles for playing time at RB, WR, TE, the open OL spots, DT, DE, MIKE and SS should all be well worth watching.

It would be great if some of the bowl practices were opened to the public. I am not holding my breath.

I think it might. The biggest beneficiary is Hunt, what with missing spring practice already.

If the QB isn't Allen (or Wilson as a darkhorse), next year's starter will be at least 15 practices better, whatever that's worth.

Those extra practices hopefully pay dividends for guys like MacFarlane, Lewis, Cornelius, Morris, Parris, the big uglies, etc.
Will Allen and/or Wilson be here for the Spring?

Agreed, the bowl game gives the QBs already on the roster 15 extra practices to learn the offense, impress the staff, etc. Just makes it harder for the true frosh to come in and win the job. The one thing the true frosh have going for them is both are expected in enroll in January.

Makes for what could be the most interesting spring for SU football in a long time. The battles for playing time at RB, WR, TE, the open OL spots, DT, DE, MIKE and SS should all be well worth watching.

It would be great if some of the bowl practices were opened to the public. I am not holding my breath.
Ha. You answered my question about Wilson and Allen while i was typing it. Impressive!

pointless question because who can know what the plan is. helps us no matter what
good question. I'd imagine with so much time before the bowl game they'll have enough time to do all the necessary bowl prep as well as to do next year work including getting looks at all the qb's they have in the stable. I'm just hoping that AB gets his chance and if he does that he takes advantage of it particularly now that he's healthy again.

Only Allen is coming in January. Wilson won't be in camp until the fall. The school board won't let him graduate in December.

I thought I read somewhere that Wilson was not going to make it for the spring after all. Could be losing my mind though.

Only Allen is coming in January. Wilson won't be in camp until the fall. The school board won't let him graduate in December.
That is too bad. Could really affect what happens to him during his time at Syracuse.

good question. I'd imagine with so much time before the bowl game they'll have enough time to do all the necessary bowl prep as well as to do next year work including getting looks at all the qb's they have in the stable. I'm just hoping that AB gets his chance and if he does that he takes advantage of it particularly now that he's healthy again.

That's probably the bigger question. Does Broyld work at 2 positions during those practices? Or just one? And if so, which one? If the plan is to give him a shot at QB for 2013, and you know he's 3rd/4th on the RB depth chart for the bowl game, why not get a head start on that plan?

That's probably the bigger question. Does Broyld work at 2 positions during those practices? Or just one? And if so, which one? If the plan is to give him a shot at QB for 2013, and you know he's 3rd/4th on the RB depth chart for the bowl game, why not get a head start on that plan?
that's my point about enough time. You have enough time to do both. He'll get looks as per usual in the RB slot, but I'd imagine, and hope, he'll get some time at qb as well.

I was curious about whether one bowl game or another would make it easier to fit in the 15 practices and allow time for rest, game prep, finals, and development for next season.

Of the most likely bowl games:
Belk is on 12/27
Russell is on 12/28
Pinstripe is on 12/29

So it doesn't look like whichever one we're in will impact the practice schedule.

The other BE tie-ins are the Beef on 12/21 and Compass on 1/5, but there won't be enough BE teams to fill them unless UConn (vs. LOU and CIN) or Pitt (vs. RU and SFU) wins out.

I would give the QB of the 2013 1 or 2 series in the Temple game. Unless its going to be Allen which I highly doubt it will be. Give Hunt or Loeb a series in this game truly is pointless as we are going to the Pinstripe Bowl and the game won't be lost for sure in the 2nd quarter and Nassib is a 2nd half QB anyway.

Typically they only use the last week of practices specifically for the bowl game, correct? If so, that should leave plenty of time to play with the different quarterback options, including AB. I want them to give him a shot even if he isn't the best passer simply because he has the look of a playmaker.

The bigger and more immediate question is will we see Loeb/Hunt on Friday get some game action? Not incinuating that we are going to crush Temple or anything but if its the 2nd half, we're up by 10-14 points, does Doug try and get those guys a few snaps?

The bigger and more immediate question is will we see Loeb/Hunt on Friday get some game action? Not incinuating that we are going to crush Temple or anything but if its the 2nd half, we're up by 10-14 points, does Doug try and get those guys a few snaps?
If we are only up 10-14 no way do they get any snaps.

Now, if we are up 20+ in the 4th, with a bowl berth already wrapped up there is no excuse not to get RGLCL or Kinder or Hunt into the game. RGLCL still has not attempted a collegiate pass, has he? That's terrifying going into next year with 0 careee pass attempts from the QB position.

If we are only up 10-14 no way do they get any snaps.

Now, if we are up 20+ in the 4th, with a bowl berth already wrapped up there is no excuse not to get RGLCL or Kinder or Hunt into the game. RGLCL still has not attempted a collegiate pass, has he? That's terrifying going into next year with 0 careee pass attempts from the QB position.
RGLCL attempted some passes either last season or the year before, believe it was against South Florida. All I can remember was how locked onto his primary receiver he was. Hopefully, they've taught him to look off the coverage since then.

[Edit - looked up his career stats, was wrong about the opponent. Here they are:

Sophomore Year (2010): Played in five of 13 games ... At Washington, was 2-of-2 for 22 yards ... Against Maine, attempted one pass ... Against Colgate, completed 1-of-2 passes, including a career-long 19-yard completion ... At Cincinnati, played the final series and had three handoffs.

All other years, he only held PATs, handed off, or ran in clock-killing time.]

In 2010, he was 3 of 5 for 60 yds. That's it for passing. In his career, he has 'appeared' in 17 games. He should be pretty good at handing off the ball, I would think.

In 2010, he was 3 of 5 for 60 yds. That's it for passing. In his career, he has 'appeared' in 17 games. He should be pretty good at handing off the ball, I would think.
Well, those 17 appearances are as a holder on kicks, right?

Will Allen doesn't have any eligibility left.
hed still be a step slow or if he got there on time...would drop the INT. :bang:

Oh Lord

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom