Does the NCAA know that Syracuse joined the ACC? | Syracusefan.com

Does the NCAA know that Syracuse joined the ACC?

nnyorange

Walk On
On Friday Jim Boeheim and Syracuse will play its 3rd game versus an ACC opponent in the NCAA tournament since joining the ACC. In 30 tournaments and 81 NCAA tournament games spanning 36 years prior to joining the ACC, Boeheim and Syracuse played 6 ACC opponents. I know it's all random but SU thrives off it's opponents unfamiliarity

1977-2013... 30 NCAA tournaments 81 games 6 ACC opponents
2014-2018... 3 NCAA tournaments 10 games 3 ACC opponents

Last edited:
2016 we played 2 ACC in the Elite Eight and Final Four.

Nothing the committee could do about that.
This year the committee IMO didn’t want to put Syracuse in the East region because we could have been rewarded with a HCA in the regionals.
So they put St. Bonaventure in the East and us in the MW.
If they flipped each then the ACC wouldn’t have had 1 team in the East and 4 in the MW.
They messed that up.

People in Chicago do not know Syracuse is in the ACC. Yesterday my son was in Chicago. Finds the "designated" ACC bar and goes to watch the game. He walks in wearing a Syracuse hat. Guy asks what he doing there. He says, "I am here to watch SU beat Michigan State." The response, "This is is the ACC bar, why are you here?" "Ah, Syracuse is in the ACC" and he orders a beer. Duh.

On Friday Jim Boeheim and Syracuse will play its 3rd game versus an ACC opponent in the NCAA tournament since joining the ACC. In 30 tournaments and 81 NCAA tournament games spanning 36 years prior to joining the ACC, Boeheim and Syracuse played 6 ACC opponents. I know it's all random but SU thrives off it's opponents unfamiliarity

1977-2013... 30 NCAA tournaments 81 games 6 ACC opponents
2014-2018... 3 NCAA tournaments 10 games 3 ACC opponents
Considering the first two were in the Elite Eight and the Final Four, I don’t mind. The ACC gets so many teams in every year, it’s hard to avoid them.

People in Chicago do not know Syracuse is in the ACC. Yesterday my son was in Chicago. Finds the "designated" ACC bar and goes to watch the game. He walks in wearing a Syracuse hat. Guy asks what he doing there. He says, "I am here to watch SU beat Michigan State." The response, "This is is the ACC bar, why are you here?" "Ah, Syracuse is in the ACC" and he orders a beer. Duh.
It's that whole Greensboro decorum thing...

This year the committee IMO didn’t want to put Syracuse in the East region because we could have been rewarded with a HCA in the regionals.
If they flipped each then the ACC wouldn’t have had 1 team in the East and 4 in the MW.
They messed that up.
Are we still revisiting this crap? Can't we move on? :mad:

Are we still revisiting this crap? Can't we move on? :mad:
I wasn’t starting anything.
Playing conference opponents in the Elite Eight isn’t a bad job by the committee.

The committee in 2011 gave us a conference opponent in the 2nd round that we had lost to the regular season.

That team got a bad draw because of that.

I wasn’t starting anything.
Playing conference opponents in the Elite Eight isn’t a bad job by the committee.

The committee in 2011 gave us a conference opponent in the 2nd round that we had lost to the regular season.

That team got a bad draw because of that.

Then they sealed the deal with that egregious over and back call.

Then they sealed the deal with that egregious over and back call.

What the hell is up with the board and bringing up bad memories this week? First the 2000 MSU game and now this.

SU gets "points" (i.e., money) from the NCAA for every advance by an ACC team. Actually, we get the money from the ACC after it gets it from the NCAA. There is a value in being in a strong conference that distributes tourney money to all its schools. Thus, I root for all ACC teams in tourney (although sometimes very quietly).

SU gets "points" (i.e., money) from the NCAA for every advance by an ACC team. Actually, we get the money from the ACC after it gets it from the NCAA. There is a value in being in a strong conference that distributes tourney money to all its schools. Thus, I root for all ACC teams in tourney (although sometimes very quietly).

Same here. Funny you brought it up because I had a question about it. Does our First Four game bestow a credit or is it handled differently like the Championship Game, which doesn't bestow a credit for whatever reason?

I would expect that level of complete cluelesness from an SEC fan.

They messed that up.

I seriously doubt that they thought that far ahead about a team in the First Four.

Can’t blame them for SU-Duke but why in the hell were no decent ACC teams in the East? Clemson easily could have been placed there.

Can’t blame them for SU-Duke but why in the hell were no decent ACC teams in the East? Clemson easily could have been placed there.
My theory on why that's done is that the NCAA does everything it can to avoid an all-one-conference Final 4. If it turns out that way because the 9-11 seed that's been put all by itself in one region manages to upset everyone in its path, then so be it.

My theory on why that's done is that the NCAA does everything it can to avoid an all-one-conference Final 4. If it turns out that way because the 9-11 seed that's been put all by itself in one region manages to upset everyone in its path, then so be it.

Wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case. Still doesn’t explain how a conference located in the East did not have one of UVA, Duke, UNC, Clemson, Miami in the friggen East yet had two of those in the Midwest. Shoulda have flipped those regions.

I can not disagree with many of the points in this thread but isn't it funny that we go from worrying about getting into the tourney to fretting about how many and which ACC teams get seeded in which region. We should first refocus on supporting Syracuse to "get the job done" then support the advancement of other ACC teams until they face Syracuse.

Lets Go Orange!!