Donovan Brown to Lackawanna College | Syracusefan.com

Donovan Brown to Lackawanna College

Syracuse, N.Y. — Donovan Brown will not be with the Syracuse football program this fall, head coach Fran Brown said Tuesday night.

The former Orange wide receiver will play at Lackawanna College in Pennsylvania in 2024.

Sounds like he has a chance to return. I hope he gets his act together there. Seems like a good young man who made some bad decisions.

Syracuse, N.Y. — Donovan Brown will not be with the Syracuse football program this fall, head coach Fran Brown said Tuesday night.

The former Orange wide receiver will play at Lackawanna College in Pennsylvania in 2024.
Well that leaves one more since we’re now at 86.
with the way we are taking 25s not a ton of room to come back into.

Brown leaving is likely what opened a scholarship for Davien Kerr who was set to reclassify to 2025 and attend Prep school until he attended one of the camps in June and was offered a scholarship.

We are probably not at 86. Although I have us at 85 with Brown moving on, it is possible there are moves that haven't been made public yet. Are Will Nixon and Maichael Johnson Jr on scholarship? Both are coaches' kids. I doubt they are both on scholarship.

If I had to bet, I'd say half of the 2025 commits will never enroll at Syracuse. Don't get too attached. Too many moving pieces to count commits the way we did in years past. These coaches will always try to upgrade the roster. And we aren't Clemson, Syracuse will continue to be active in the portal.

Brown leaving is likely what opened a scholarship for Davien Kerr who was set to reclassify to 2025 and attend Prep school until he attended one of the camps in June and was offered a scholarship.

We are probably not at 86. Although I have us at 85 with Brown moving on, it is possible there are moves that haven't been made public yet. Are Will Nixon and Maichael Johnson Jr on scholarship? Both are coaches' kids. I doubt they are both on scholarship.

If I had to bet, I'd say half of the 2025 commits will never enroll at Syracuse. Don't get too attached. Too many moving pieces to count commits the way we did in years past. These coaches will always try to upgrade the roster. And we aren't Clemson, Syracuse will continue to be active in the portal.

I thought I also read that people are loading up on 2025 just in case the 85 scholarship limit goes away.

OX has a thread tacked at the top that he updates on roster size. He has 86. I'd be curious where you two are off.

I thought I also read that people are loading up on 2025 just in case the 85 scholarship limit goes away.

OX has a thread tacked at the top that he updates on roster size. He has 86. I'd be curious where you two are off.
If the two coaches kids don't need a scholarship that puts us at 84?

if the 85 scholie limit goes away and it becomes the wild west then we are done. the limit keeps it kinda fair, if it goes out the window the top 10-20 schools will have anyone they want and then only kids who cant cut it will come down to play at the lesser schools after a yr or 2 at the power schools.

SMU/Texas will have 200 kids with the money they can pay out.

then kids will find out that it really is a job and they will get cut and the lesser schools will give them the peanuts they have to spend.

I wonder if the kids get a union and have to negotiate with 50-60 schools what kind of limits there will be.. the schools could agree to 50-60 man rosters if they wanted and they could get the union to go for it because it will me more money to fewer kids.

if the 85 scholie limit goes away and it becomes the wild west then we are done. the limit keeps it kinda fair, if it goes out the window the top 10-20 schools will have anyone they want and then only kids who cant cut it will come down to play at the lesser schools after a yr or 2 at the power schools.

then kids will find out that it really is a job and they will get cut and the lesser schools will give them the peanuts they have to spend.

I wonder if the kids get a union and have to negotiate with 50-60 schools what kind of limits there will be.. the schools could agree to 50-60 man rosters if they wanted and they could get the union to go for it because it will me more money to fewer kids.
Many players will want to play and not sit though.

I'm certain the coaches kids are on scholarship. And it would be even weirder if only one is.
Even weirder if we were talking about the Boeheim boys which is even weirder because I think they were both on scholarship.

An Eligible Dependent who is matriculated and enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at Syracuse University may apply to receive a tuition waiver. The tuition waiver can only be applied to the minimum number of credit hours required for completion of the first baccalaureate degree. The value of the tuition waiver for Academic Year 2024-25 is:

• Qualified dependents of employees with annual salaries up to $65,296* will receive a full tuition waiver.
    • Qualified dependents of employees with annual salaries between $65,296* and $130,594* will receive a 95 percent tuition waiver.
    • Qualified dependents of employees with salaries of $130,594* or above will receive a 90 percent tuition waiver.
https://hr.syr.edu/benefits/tuition...f employees with,a 95 percent tuition waiver.
I don't believe that they count against the scholly limit.

An Eligible Dependent who is matriculated and enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at Syracuse University may apply to receive a tuition waiver. The tuition waiver can only be applied to the minimum number of credit hours required for completion of the first baccalaureate degree. The value of the tuition waiver for Academic Year 2024-25 is:

• Qualified dependents of employees with annual salaries up to $65,296* will receive a full tuition waiver.
    • Qualified dependents of employees with annual salaries between $65,296* and $130,594* will receive a 95 percent tuition waiver.
    • Qualified dependents of employees with salaries of $130,594* or above will receive a 90 percent tuition waiver.
https://hr.syr.edu/benefits/tuition-benefits/dependent-tuition/#:~:text=Syracuse University Tuition Waiver Program&text=Qualified dependents of employees with,a 95 percent tuition waiver.

I bet they do count. The dependent plan (for their income level) doesn't cover 10% of tuition and 100% of housing/meal plan.

There would be a roster cap if they removed the 85 scholarship limit. It would hurt walkons more than anything.

https://hr.syr.edu/benefits/tuition-benefits/dependent-tuition/#:~:text=Syracuse University Tuition Waiver Program&text=Qualified dependents of employees with,a 95 percent tuition waiver.
Looks like you need 3 years of employment to qualify.

Dependent Tuition Benefits

After the equivalent of three years of full-time employment,
Syracuse University offers three dependent tuition options — SU Tuition Waiver, Tuition Exchange, or Cash Grant — to the qualified dependents of eligible employees/retirees. Visit the Dependent Tuition Benefits page for details.

There would be a roster cap if they removed the 85 scholarship limit. It would hurt walkons more than anything.
There will have to be a roster cap. We're rapidly approaching the point where scholarships will be mostly irrelevant. Once there are direct payments to athletes, plus NIL income, they'll be able to pay their own tuition if need be. Especially at the state schools where total cost of attendance isn't $100k/yr.

If Bama offers a kid a $500k payment + NIL package but no scholarship, that's still a better deal than Cuse offering a $200k payment + NIL + scholly.

Looks like you need 3 years of employment to qualify.

Dependent Tuition Benefits

After the equivalent of three years of full-time employment,
Syracuse University offers three dependent tuition options — SU Tuition Waiver, Tuition Exchange, or Cash Grant — to the qualified dependents of eligible employees/retirees. Visit the Dependent Tuition Benefits page for details.

at most colleges though this is also negotiated at these higher level employees.

like hiring a prof and the trailing spouse gets a job or they get paid housing or other perks like daycare.

We are off on Michael Johnson Jr. OX has him as a scholarship player. I do not.

I'm certain the coaches kids are on scholarship. And it would be even weirder if only one is.

I disagree. Only one of the two are projected to actually contribute on game days and that would be Will Nixon.

At an athletic 6-3, 210 pounds Johnson could contribute on special teams, but do you give a scholarship to a redshirt senior who only projects to contribute on special teams?
  • At FAU in 2023 he played in ten games. He attempted 1 pass, carried the ball 23 times and scored 7 rushing touchdowns. 7 TDs in 23 carries? Sounds like he was used as a wildcat QB in the redzone.
    • He also returned two kickoffs in 2023 (23 yrd avg.)
  • In five seasons (he began at Penn State in 2019) he only attempted one pass.
I don't see Johnson making the travel squad unless he plays something other than QB.

Will Nixon is someone who can contribute. Last season at Washington (a pretty good team, 13-1) he gained 201 yards rushing and caught 13 passes. Nixon also has close to 100 snaps on specials teams during his career.

I see Nixon playing in every game as a situational RB and on special teams (in the two deep).

In my opinion (just my opinion), only one is worthy of a scholarship at Syracuse based on potential contributions.

On the other hand, both could be on scholarship and another player could have left the program that we do not know about yet.
  • I am aware of a couple of short-term suspensions related to Coach Fran's drug policies. I heard that everyone served their suspension and was back in the fold, but my information could be inaccurate.
  • It's my understanding that a program cannot exceed the 85 scholarship limit at any time meaning IF everyone is on campus and participating in the summer program then we are at 85. One possible exception could be that one of the incoming players who projects to redshirt in 2024 has been asked not to arrive until later in the summer with the hopes that an adjustment can be made to the roster before that player arrives.
Perhaps someone can ask Coach Fran at the Coaches Caravan in Verona next week (7/18) if the roster is set and if everyone is on campus and participating in the summer program.

Either way, I like our roster. It has been upgraded. The roster is more versatile with bigger, faster and stronger players.

Go Orange!

Last edited:
We are off on Michael Johnson Jr. OX has him as a scholarship player. I do not.

I disagree. Only one of the two are projected to actually contribute on game days and that would be Will Nixon.

At an athletic 6-3, 210 pounds Johnson could contribute on special teams, but do you give a scholarship to a redshirt senior who only projects to contribute on special teams?
  • At FAU in 2023 he played in ten games. He attempted 1 pass, carried the ball 23 times and scored 7 rushing touchdowns. 7 TDs in 23 carries? Sounds like he was used as a wildcat QB in the redzone.
    • He also returned two kickoffs in 2023 (23 yrd avg.)
  • In five seasons (he began at Penn State in 2019) he only attempted one pass.
I don't see Johnson making the travel squad unless he plays something other than QB.

Will Nixon is someone who can contribute. Last season at Washington (a pretty good team, 13-1) he gained 201 yards rushing and caught 13 passes. Nixon also has close to 100 snaps on specials teams during his career.

I see Nixon playing in every game as a situational RB and on special teams (in the two deep).

In my opinion (just my opinion), only one is worthy of a scholarship at Syracuse based on potential contributions.

On the other hand, both could be on scholarship and another player could have left the program that we do not know about yet.
  • I am aware of a couple of short-term suspensions related to Coach Fran's drug policies. I heard that everyone served their suspension and was back in the fold, but my information could be inaccurate.
  • It's my understanding that a program cannot exceed the 85 scholarship limit at any time meaning IF everyone is on campus and participating in the summer program then we are at 85. One possible exception could be that one of the incoming players who projects to redshirt in 2024 has been asked not to arrive until later in the summer with the hopes that an adjustment can be made to the roster before that player arrives.
Perhaps someone can ask Coach Fran at the Coaches Caravan in Verona next week (7/18) if the roster is set and if everyone is on campus and participating in the summer program.

Either way, I like our roster. It has been upgraded. The roster is more versatile with bigger, strong and stronger players.

Go Orange!
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Johnson at RB as well.

Sounds like he has a chance to return. I hope he gets his act together there. Seems like a good young man who made some bad decisions.

Did he lack wanna?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom