dont get the hate. | Syracusefan.com

dont get the hate.

upperdeck

Living Legend
i get the disappointment. but not sure why so many are angry about how it played out. he found a better date we should all move on. SU had a huge part in this happening but the blame is mostly on one person.. had the bills made the playoffs does he get a job so blame them too..

I don't hate Marrone. I never root for the coach, I root for the laundry that the players are wearing.
I will be very disappointed if Gross does not make a statement by days end.

I have no problem with him taking an NFL job. I don't like the way he did it, though.

As recently as a few days ago, he was having the staff tell recruits he wasn't interviewing with the NFL. From the sounds of it, he wasn't telling players on the roster what his plans were. For all the speeches he gave about integrity and doing things the right way, he sure didn't seem to be heeding his own advice here.

i get the disappointment. but not sure why so many are angry about how it played out. he found a better date we should all move on. SU had a huge part in this happening but the blame is mostly on one person.. had the bills made the playoffs does he get a job so blame them too..
I think in most cases, you are equating "disappointment" to hate. I think the "haters" have always hated Marrone...and there is no change in their viewpoint. Same as it ever was. This just gives them another opportunity to spout off...like they have after every loss (and even some wins). I think most Marrone fans are disappointed in him leaving before the job was complete. Four years ago, if you asked Marrone what his goal was for his tenure at SU, I betcha $1M he would not have said,"to be 8-5 and win a minor bowl game". Although, I guess he may have honestly said, "to have enough wins that a pro team will hire me."

People are hurt and are posting emotionally. I get that.

I think if people looked at this situation logically, they wouldn't be so bent. He dreamed of being the HC of Syracuse. He was HC of Syracuse. He then realized that he was a better fit for the NFL. He saw SU Football on an upward trajectory with a bright future (ACC) and decided now was a good time to leave things for the next coach.

It's not that bad.

Me neither. Guy turned the program around at a point when we were literally the worst BCS conference team, and for the most part was a class act.

Now, don't get me wrong--I'm disappointed that he is leaving after four years, that he didn't follow through on the "SU is my dream job" sentiment, but I don't resent him for making the jump. I just wish he'd stuck around for at least two more years to strengthen the foundation he's reestablished and solidify the program's position for long term sustainable success.

I feel exactly the same as I did when Mac left SU for the Patriots. It's never easy for a head coach who preaches intergrity to leave a place without hurt feelings.

It's not that bad.

It all depends on who we can get in for interviews at this late date. I personally think that giving Tressel a shot at redemption wouldn't be that bad of a thing, politically speaking. He would be an instant shot of credibility, though, even if he was only here for 3 or 4 years.

I'm far from a coaching guru like some of you guys, but I think Jeff Jagodzinski is probably the number 1 target on my list.

One name I have not heard is George O'Leary. I know about the kid who died during practice, and the Notre Dame resume flap, but he has done good things with the UCF program. His kids perform academically and he is a no-nonsense kind of guy, but he is getting up there in age - what is he, about 65?

It all depends on who we can get in for interviews at this late date. I personally think that giving Tressel a shot at redemption wouldn't be that bad of a thing, politically speaking. He would be an instant shot of credibility, though, even if he was only here for 3 or 4 years.

I'm far from a coaching guru like some of you guys, but I think Jeff Jagodzinski is probably the number 1 target on my list.

One name I have not heard is George O'Leary. I know about the kid who died during practice, and the Notre Dame resume flap, but he has done good things with the UCF program. His kids perform academically and he is a no-nonsense kind of guy, but he is getting up there in age - 65?

Doesn't Tressel's situation require the hiring school to demonstrate cause to the NCAA for why they are hiring him?

I feel exactly the same as I did when Mac left SU for the Patriots. It's never easy for a head coach who preaches intergrity to leave a place without hurt feelings.
coach Mac's case was different He had been here longer and had taken us near the top. He also was at an age where he knew his chances to coach in the NFL were running out.

How is integrity at odds with getting a different job? If a coach has integrity, he has to be locked into whatever his current job is for life?

How is integrity at odds with getting a different job? If a coach has integrity, he has to be locked into whatever his current job is for life?
The integrity issue doesn't have to do with getting a different job.

The integrity issue stems from telling recruits "I'm not interviewing for different jobs" while he was, in fact, arranging interviews for different jobs.

That and that he kept his current players in the dark.

No hate here, just disappointment. It hurts more because of the timing of it. If it had been 2 or 3 years down the road, it would be easier to swallow. Recruiting would be better established as would, presumably, winning. I feel like we're in a fragile place right now where we could easily slip back to the GRob status if Gross doesn't make the right call.

Doesn't Tressel's situation require the hiring school to demonstrate cause to the NCAA for why they are hiring him?

Yes, I just saw that yesterday. I didn't realize that part of it, so count him out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom