Don't look now... | Syracusefan.com

Don't look now...

This brings me back to repeat a question I posted earlier on here. I dont follow the details as rabidly as some, but does the double bye necessarily help our chances of getting a a bid to the tournament(aside from the rather improbable chance of winning it)?

I get that we'd face different teams, but overall it would seem like an extra game(win) might help the team's resume.

This brings me back to repeat a question I posted earlier on here. I dont follow the details as rabidly as some, but does the double bye necessarily help our chances of getting a a bid to the tournament(aside from the rather improbable chance of winning it)?

I get that we'd face different teams, but overall it would seem like an extra game(win) might help the team's resume.
Getting the double bye means you’ve done enough to get a double bye, ie win more games than most other teams in the division, and more than teams that didn’t get the double bye (which would be the other option in your scenario). Typically that means you’ve won a good amount of games. You take those odds this season even though the acc is clearly overall down. It’s always possible a loss in an early acct game does way more harm than a win does good.

Really depends on the "who" in that additional game.

Sometimes in conference tourneys you get what I call a "nuisance" game as your first game. A win does absolutely nothing to help you, but a loss would hurt your resume.

Since we would have one bye, that extra game would likely not be a nuisance game (Q3 or Q4), probably a Q2 game. A win that would help our resume a bit, but not that much.

The big advantage of the double bye is that we are only one win away from getting the opportunity for a last chance marquee win.

So this doesn't really help much but the answer is -- it depends.

Sometimes in conference tourneys you get what I call a "nuisance" game as your first game. A win does absolutely nothing to help you, but a loss would hurt your resume.

Since we would have one bye, that extra game would likely not be a nuisance game (Q3 or Q4), probably a Q2 game. A win that would help our resume a bit, but not that much.

The big advantage of the double bye is that we are only one win away from getting the opportunity for a last chance marquee win.

Thanks for that answer. Let me be more concise than I am known for with this follow up question. You mentioned the nuisance game which I get, but when you said a win that would not help at all, does win total not mean anything?

I'll be honest, I didn't think this was possible about 2 months ago. Shame on me for doubting.

And let's definitely not sleep on UNC at home.

Very true, but when weeks ago I said I expected Cole Anthony to be playing against us, a member(I wont say whom because they are a mod) told me he wouldn't have any reason to play. So maybe we can relax.

Last edited:
The win last night should give SU confidence that they can stick together and win despite the adversity and odds against it given the massive front line fouls and shifting personnel. Yes it was only Wake Forest but the circumstances of the win were most important here. Keep that same mindset and focus the rest of the season and ya never know, it could be NCAAT time. At least try to stay close to FSU and UofL.

we definitely want the double bye, thats more important that getting the chance at an xtra win against a mediocre team. it would be hard for the committee to ignore a top 4 acc finish even in a down year. plus getting the double bye obviously means we played well enough down the stretch to finish ahead of all the teams we’re bunched up with.

Does the tournament start on Tuesday or Wednesday?

Rather have the 4 than the 5. The 5 seed plays a downside only game vs. #12 or #13.

This was asked in another thread and I don't know if it ever got answered. What is the tiebreaker between us and Virginia if we are tied in the standings somewhere? We split our games with them. They would have a better "overall" season record. Does it go to common opponents or something like that?

I’m of the opinion the ACC gets 4, maybe 5 teams. Finishing a clear fourth (no tie-breaker scenario putting us there) should give us a better than 50/50 shot at the Tourney.

This was asked in another thread and I don't know if it ever got answered. What is the tiebreaker between us and Virginia if we are tied in the standings somewhere? We split our games with them. They would have a better "overall" season record. Does it go to common opponents or something like that?
As I recall, it is records against conference teams with better in-conference records.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom